Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gasket job surprise-ARP Studs!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 03:46 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Got the last 90* turn in, nothing broke. All is good for the drivers side.
Definitely taking a beverage break.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 04in719
Got the last 90* turn in, nothing broke. All is good for the drivers side.
Definitely taking a beverage break.
good deal man. It makes your ******* pucker doing the final 90 but they can take much worse.

The following users liked this post:
04in719 (07-10-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 01:19 PM
Mudding

Both head gaskets done and rockers torqued. Loving how clean everything is as I go along. Crazy how the HG's and super leaky rocker rockers make such a mess. Will be a dream to work on going forward.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:39 PM
Mudding
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Both head gaskets done and rockers torqued. Loving how clean everything is as I go along. Crazy how the HG's and super leaky rocker rockers make such a mess. Will be a dream to work on going forward.

Great work

Old 07-12-2017, 08:48 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

looks really good!

Old 07-13-2017, 08:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Nice and clean...

Old 07-13-2017, 09:07 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Nice job! I may suggest get those plastic cable wrap before those wires get buried in the back so they wont get brittle as fast. Cheers!

04in719 (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 09:04 PM
Mudding

Good eye LR03NJ, I picked up a couple sizes of plastic loom and will be doing that tonight. The old stuff is cracking and falling apart like a potato chip.
Might as well redo it all while access is easy, thanks LR03JN!

Another question, and maybe I should post this separate...note sure.

Injector rail and o-ring re-install.
When I pulled the existing fuel rail and injectors it all came out fine but I noticed some hard spacers after the injectors.
The kit I got from AB has the o-rings but nothing else that would account for/nor fit at the end of the injectors.
I've attached a picture of mine, some are broken and some are complete. I have no idea what these are for or needed.
Thanks all.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:07 AM
Mudding

Wanted to give an update on my HG job. 99% done, had some issue's with the wiring harness near the firewall. For posterity don't connect the grey connector that is supposed to go to the IAC to the drivers side coil (two hours of my life I wish I had back). The coil connectors are black the IAC connector is grey.

Moving on after I got the wiring harness, SAI pipe and plug wires (new yellow Kingsborne) all to play nice together and putting on new loom in place of crusty old loom I'm about done.

I'm actually quite happy with myself and the job, about 2 1/2 weeks taking my time after work and a few weekend days when I didn't have "honey-do's".

I do have one question/problem to ask help with; the dipstick tube. I removed it for room to work on other things.
I can't get it re-installed...I can get it about 1/3 of the way in (another beavis and butthead joke) but that's it. I'm afraid it's bent incorrectly. Any advise? I've searched for pictures for correct shape but can't get a consistent idea.

Also wanted to express my thanks again for all of your help during this whole experience from valve cover bolts to fuel injector filter baskets. Not sure I could have done this without all of your help.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:24 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Wanted to give an update on my HG job. 99% done, had some issue's with the wiring harness near the firewall. For posterity don't connect the grey connector that is supposed to go to the IAC to the drivers side coil (two hours of my life I wish I had back). The coil connectors are black the IAC connector is grey.

Moving on after I got the wiring harness, SAI pipe and plug wires (new yellow Kingsborne) all to play nice together and putting on new loom in place of crusty old loom I'm about done.

I'm actually quite happy with myself and the job, about 2 1/2 weeks taking my time after work and a few weekend days when I didn't have "honey-do's".

I do have one question/problem to ask help with; the dipstick tube. I removed it for room to work on other things.
I can't get it re-installed...I can get it about 1/3 of the way in (another beavis and butthead joke) but that's it. I'm afraid it's bent incorrectly. Any advise? I've searched for pictures for correct shape but can't get a consistent idea.

Also wanted to express my thanks again for all of your help during this whole experience from valve cover bolts to fuel injector filter baskets. Not sure I could have done this without all of your help.

isn't it crazy when u step back after a project like this and realize -"****, I actually did it" hopefully followed by "and it works!"
well done...

04in719 (07-21-2017)

Quick Reply: Head gasket job surprise-ARP Studs!