Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok c clamp not working.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 09:34 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok c clamp not working.

I thought ac clamp would be strong enough I was wrong. I am trying to replace me rear shocks. As soon as my bolt hit toward the end of being leavened I noticed the bracket wad expanding as I was loosening. Now the bolt seems bound. Will not loosen our tighten. I have a clamp but it is not strong enough. What tool does everyone use? The bracket expanded. Now the bolt seems bound and does not longer up.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:58 AM
TReK
Received 766 Likes on 634 Posts

Ring spanner on the nut, breaker bar on the head. The ring spanner will turn until it hits something and wedges into place, and then the bolt will turn instead.
I don't know why yours has opened up like that. That's ugly, and looks like you are going to have to bend things back into place afterwards. You may end up having to grind off the bolt head and replace the bolt entirely.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:06 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by mollusc
Ring spanner on the nut, breaker bar on the head. The ring spanner will turn until it hits something and wedges into place, and then the bolt will turn instead.
I don't know why yours has opened up like that. That's ugly, and looks like you are going to have to bend things back into place afterwards. You may end up having to grind off the bolt head and replace the bolt entirely.
The bolt seems to be welded on. So it does but move either way. This had turned into a bit of a nightmare.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:07 PM
TReK

One side or other of it has to move. I replaced my shocks last weekend so I know the bolt will come out. Don't try to undo the inner side -- work from the wheel side.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:50 PM
Mudding

One side or other of it has to move. I replaced my shocks last weekend so I know the bolt will come out. Don't try to undo the inner side -- work from the wheel side.
The wheel side the nut is welded in place. Well not anymore. I was using ball joint press to drIve the brackets neck together and instead of fOrcing the bolt out the nut broke free. It was just welding in each corner. It was stripped like crazy. Bolt still will not come out. It's threads look healed anyway. I guess I need to cut the bolt out.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:24 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by vishrb
The wheel side the nut is welded in place. Well not anymore. I was using ball joint press to drIve the brackets neck together and instead of fOrcing the bolt out the nut broke free. It was just welding in each corner. It was stripped like crazy. Bolt still will not come out. It's threads look healed anyway. I guess I need to cut the bolt out.
It's weird that the outer is welded. On mine that's the one that turns. Maybe yours has been repaired in the past which is contributing to your problems.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:58 PM
Mudding

It's weird that the outer is welded. On mine that's the one that turns. Maybe yours has been repaired in the past which is contributing to your problems.

That is weird. Both sides of the rear are the same. The nut is welded in place.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:59 PM
Mudding

So to finish this off. I had to buy a sawzall. I went through two corbine treated metal blades. I cut through the bolt between the mounts. Right through the old shocks bushing. Once I did that I was able to remove the shock. What I found was that the head of the bolt still would not come out. The reason was that the bracket had worn a groove in the bolt. that groove had bubbled up a bit. So the bolt was never going to come out. That is why the bracket was pushed out. As I was loosening the bolt it could not go anywhere so it pushed the bracket out.