Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Final Services

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 01:02 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
drive shaft then immediately rotoflex. Yours is borrowed time.
Thanks Ill see if I just can't squeeze both into the order just to be safe.

Im assuming I should eventually replace the rear drive shaft as well or is the rear not as prone to failure as the front?

Old 09-03-2017, 04:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 822 Likes on 599 Posts

The rear driveshaft has been less of a problem. It has only one U-joint and that U-joint is greasable. That U-joint also does not sit next to a catalytic converter, which is believed to contribute to the failure of the non-greasable U-joints in the front driveshaft. It also does not sit next to the transmission so that if it were to fail it would not beat hole in the side of the transmission. That's not to say that the rear driveshaft U-joint coming apart wouldn't be a memorable event! The U-joint and the slip shaft should be greased regularly, with every oil change. It should also be inspected and if there's any question about it it should be replaced. But there should be no need to replace the entire shaft. That said, some people who run lifted suspensions replace the rear shaft with one that has U-joints at each end because that works better than leaving the Rotoflex in the rear.

The following users liked this post:
DKPhoto (09-03-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 05:52 PM
Mudding

Okay so a lot to catch up on since my last post.

Hurricane Irma was eyeballing us here in Florida, originally me and my girlfriend were going to ride it out. Got all the prepping done... windows boarded, sand bags, food, water, batteries etc. My parents who live in MD were on vacation in North Carolina and invited us up so with our town here in FL in the sights of the eye wall and a quick check of the surf report for OBX my mind was made up quickly. So we packed everything up in the rover and made our way north.

The Truck handled great and at times I was getting 18.5 mpg, no over heating or problems what so ever.

Packed into the Swan Quarters Ferry.

Surf made the 2 day drive so worth it.

Frisco Pier

I was pretty worried wether the Rover was going to make it there and back especially considering my list of things to do. Other than having to keep toping up on oil I had no problems. A well needed Vacation.

Its nice to see the Milky Way so clear.

We made it home and really lucked out. Just a lot of trees down and we lost power, so we lost all our food in the fridge and our apartment smelled very unpleasant. Could have been a lot worse.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:04 PM
Mudding

So back to my service list. Once things got back to normal I got back to it. Finally put in the new oil pan gasket

[IMG]https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/landroverforums.com-vbulletin/1500x2000/80-
img_3276_a84bf42b2b5b07b01ba48599f0968a09db4912fd. jpg[/IMG]

The job wasn't too bad just time consuming and messy. Put gasket sealer where the Rave said to but I still have a leak from somewhere but no where as bad as it used to be.

I also got around to by passing the amp and just ran wires off my head unit for the power wasn't on my list but I was tired of the bad amp.

Put in a new front drive shaft

Nice piece of Gasket stuck in the pick up.

Not too bad, no big chunks of metal so I was happy with that.

Heres the after cleaning.

Lucky8 Drive Shaft<br/>

Last edited by DKPhoto; 10-21-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:08 PM
Mudding

No idea why the photos are out of order...

New drive shaft is from lucky8 where I also ordered a new rotoflex and bushing which I'm putting off until I can fully understand how to get the bushing out of the rear drive shaft.

I still have a few other things on the list left to do. Not sure what I'm going to focus on after the rotoflex, the brakes and rotors are okay still and the ticking I'm getting with the engine I'm pretty sure is the lifters and that will be another thing to knock out within the next month. Fluids are fine and I have 5 codes still to try and figure out along with the ABS light.

Last edited by DKPhoto; 10-21-2017 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Didn't finish
Old 10-23-2017, 07:28 PM
Mudding
Default Rear drive shaft...

Yesterday I tried replacing the rotoflex but I could not for the life of me get the rear drive shaft to move forward enough to remove the rotoflex. I think maybe the driveshaft is seized up or I'm doing something wrong. The splined sleeve wouldn't budge, even with fresh grease. I ultimately gave up as the sun was starting to set.

If I remove the 4 bolts to the transfer case as well as the 3 with the rotoflex, is it possible to drop the driveshaft?

Old 10-23-2017, 08:13 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 782 Posts

Ticking could be heat/oil weight related. Until I put a 180 thermostat in mine I would get a ticket at around 212 -215 (highest it went). Under that it was fine. Since I have put the 180 in I never get above 197 and no ticking.

I do not know the weight of oil currently in, I have to do regular oil changes for an extended warranty so I am waiting for that to come due.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:23 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
Ticking could be heat/oil weight related. Until I put a 180 thermostat in mine I would get a ticket at around 212 -215 (highest it went). Under that it was fine. Since I have put the 180 in I never get above 197 and no ticking.

I do not know the weight of oil currently in, I have to do regular oil changes for an extended warranty so I am waiting for that to come due.
I put in the 180 thermostat about a month ago and unfortunately for me it’s still ticking. Definitely sounds like the lifters as it’s more apparent from the top.
Im using rotella 15w40 right now and it made no difference. I’m suspicious of my oil pump and I’m planning on running a oil pressure guauge in the next week or two when I get some time.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:55 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by DKPhoto
I put in the 180 thermostat about a month ago and unfortunately for me it’s still ticking. Definitely sounds like the lifters as it’s more apparent from the top.
Im using rotella 15w40 right now and it made no difference. I’m suspicious of my oil pump and I’m planning on running a oil pressure guauge in the next week or two when I get some time.
Sorry to hear that - that can be pain to finally figure out what it is

The following users liked this post:
DKPhoto (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 05:24 PM
Mudding

Its been awhile since I've updated this but I have gotten quite a bit done since my last post.

I finally got new wheels BF Goodrich KO2's which cost me a pretty penny for just 4, and of course on my way to get have them installed my fan clutch went and took out my water pump. Being so busy with work right now I had it towed to Midas (who was also installing my tires) do the work. That took a good chunk out of my savings...

New Tires!

As im knocking off my to do list theres always more things to add but heres a list of what Ive gotten done since my last post.

Ball joints
Brakes and rotors
Alignment
Tune up (Plugs, wires and flush all fluids)
New injectors
Fan Clutch
Water Pump
Drivers side door lock assembly
Removed interlock solenoid (Hi-Low stuck)
Steering rods
Wiper arms (Discovery 1)
Air Suspension refresh.

Right now Im in the process of diagnosing the three amigos.

I ordered 2 new front wheel speed sensors on Amazon and I'm planning on doing the shuttle valve bypass this weekend.

I also ordered 2 rear Terrafirma +2" shocks from Lucky8. My rear OME shocks are maxing out with the Air suspension lift when in off road mode. Ill be installing them this weekend as well.

Quick Reply: Final Services