Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Cylinder #6 Misfire Episode

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 07:13 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts
Default My Cylinder #6 Misfire Episode

Two months ago I purchased a 2004 Westminster Edition Discovery, drove it home from Connecticut with no issues. Maybe a week or so later, SES started to show with these codes

I relocated the coil packs, change all fluids, plugs and Kingsborne wires. Reset and drove few hundred miles and SES showed again with these codes.

At this point I decided to replace all the injectors and all code disappeared. Few hundred miles again It started to show misfire at # 6 and every morning at start up Ses will blink and misfire code at #6 cylinder.
Changed wire and plug and was good for few miles and code at #6 will show up again.
I noticed that white smoke appears on start ups in the morning and disappears after warm up. Truck runs fine and has power. Only at start up when the SES blinks. I decided to get an inspection camera yesterday oct 3 to see whats going on in the cylinder. But before that, i ordered Head gasket kit incase my thinking was confirmed. Upon inspection i saw cylinder #6 was clear and not crusted.

I just confirmed that 6 was taking in coolant. Today, i started the process of replacing the head gasket.

At this point, i have not seen the #6 yet and will leave it for tomorrow. I am hoping its just the head gasket that leaked.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:38 PM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I bought that same camera for my HG misfire. Luckily for me it confirmed the absence of coolant in the cylinder.

Best of luck with the job.

The following users liked this post:
LR03NJ (10-06-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 08:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Dang. Not fun.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:43 PM
TReK

Yes Robert, youre really lucky. I never had this situation yet and hoping like many said, its head gasket. I would like to assume the same thing until I get to #6 tomorrow.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:43 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Usually that is not the case, I had a similar episode, only with misfires on 6 and 1. Found coolant entering 6 between the block and head... and nothing much wrong with 1. Turns out my mechanic thinks its a crack in the block behind the liner in 6 as the coolant passages from the heads to the block do not go near the inner 4 cylinders, only the ones on the 4 corners. A head gasket leak usually happens on 1, 2, 7, or 8. An internal issue usually happens on 3,5,4, or 6.

Good Luck!

Old 10-05-2017, 03:26 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

Fingers crossed for a happy ending.

Brian.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:48 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

LR03NJ, you sure ain't too lucky lately, either go to church more often (a total waste of time IMO) or buy yourself a Harley D or a Fireblade and go cruising instead.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:32 AM
TReK

YIKES! Fingers crossed. Its early morning and a friend of mine called to have me retrieve some security footages in his catering hall and i wont be able to get the problem head out today.

I ordered some bottles of Steel Seal as my last resort if im having some airlock in #6. Ill just try a new product. Hehehe! I was rwading your comments and it could be real that #6 is far from the coolant main passage ways as i imagine but i was also thinking that cylinders must be equally cooled by coolant somehow and there must be a way it gets there. Well, i can only do so much and try whats possible. But anyway, OffroadFrance has another thought about this and something to think about. Lol!

Old 10-05-2017, 09:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
YIKES! Fingers crossed. Its early morning and a friend of mine called to have me retrieve some security footages in his catering hall and i wont be able to get the problem head out today.

I ordered some bottles of Steel Seal as my last resort if im having some airlock in #6. Ill just try a new product. Hehehe! I was rwading your comments and it could be real that #6 is far from the coolant main passage ways as i imagine but i was also thinking that cylinders must be equally cooled by coolant somehow and there must be a way it gets there. Well, i can only do so much and try whats possible. But anyway, OffroadFrance has another thought about this and something to think about. Lol!
Here's a mechanic who used it, had his engine working from it, then took the heads off to see what it had done:

*probably want to bypass your radiator!

Old 10-06-2017, 05:02 AM
TReK

As my last resort weather the situation are heads or block I purchased these reman heads and go from there.

Quick Reply: My Cylinder #6 Misfire Episode