Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Refill Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 07:09 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

JUST PARK IT ON A HILL!

Why can't people just do something easy instead of trying to find things to use that they don't have any experience with nor can guarantee it will work.

I know. Stop by my house and I'll do it for you. FREE!

Old 01-12-2018, 08:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

This is why I bought this kit..... before, I tried multiple ways of getting the gurgle/waterfall to stop. Parked up hill, sat the coolant reservoir higher than the cooling system, added coolant to t-fitting, added coolant when engine was cold, added coolant when engine was warm, added coolant during the solar eclipse while standing on one leg while wearing an REO Speedwagon t-shirt.... nothing helped plus hours wasted.
I bought the kit since I already have an air compressor. With the kit I had pulled a vacuum on the coolant system, it held pressure for 15 minutes and then refilled with new coolant in a total time of about 20 minutes. Now it’s Done!
But... to each his own... buy it or not. I’ve used it on friend’s cars so the kit is getting used and works.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 01-12-2018 at 08:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Lisa Bunch (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 10:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by number9
...Consider using a cleaning agent to remove build up of smaller deposits prior to refilling system with your chosen mix of coolant.
I like the idea of a cleaning agent, any recommendations on what to use? Like Prestone radiator flush, I've always just used water.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:28 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Lisa Bunch
I like the idea of a cleaning agent, any recommendations on what to use? Like Prestone radiator flush, I've always just used water.
Vinegar

Old 01-12-2018, 10:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I want to be d@mn sure there are no air bubbles in my cooling systems on any of my 6 vehicles..

Old 01-12-2018, 11:12 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Yup! Any tool that will make your life easier is always better. I believe after all the cooling issues in the forum, there are always different solutions how its done. More choices the better.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:35 PM
Camel Trophy

This is my OEM Tools kit with the adapters...

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Old 01-12-2018, 05:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

As mentioned, vinegar is commonly used to clean buildup. Do flush water behind it as it will start to damage both aluminum and rubber after sitting awhile (days+).

Old 01-12-2018, 06:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by PalmettoDisco
As mentioned, vinegar is commonly used to clean buildup. Do flush water behind it as it will start to damage both aluminum and rubber after sitting awhile (days+).

When we did radiators...every day for oh 40+ years...

We just always used super flush on the customers cars. Few cars ever needed a flush...Once in awhile we would push some crud out.

I've been thinking about buying hoses that are clear, installing them onto my rover and do a video.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by PalmettoDisco
Vinegar is what I used and would suggest.

I completely drained system, recommend going to the extra effort/time to pull the PIA block drain plugs, don't do a 1/2 *** job unless wanting the same type results. Thoroughly flushed system with hose/tap water. Put hoses/plugs back together, added one gallon of vinegar and the balance tap water. I left it in for a couple of days of driving since weather wasn't below freezing.

To flush vinegar and debris it may have loosened, drained thoroughly (block plugs) and flushed with tap water. Using a hose flushing down through the manifold coolant outlet provided the best flow from the block drains. Refilled with tap water and drove a couple more days to make sure any remaining vinegar was well diluted and would be flushed out. Drained (block plugs) third time, another quick flush put back together and refilled with coolant.

After pulling your block plugs two or three times you'll be an expert. If you don't pull the plugs you can't do a good engine flush because crud enjoys low places. Pulling the plugs also drains the block which holds as much or more coolant that the rest of the system. It's a real benefit when time to refill coolant to the desired ratio.

BTW my cooling system cleanse a couple of years ago reduced my temps by more than installing a 180 stat, pump and fan/clutch replacements.

Quick Reply: Coolant Refill Kit