Suspension sponsored by Arnott Inc. Talk about your suspension within.

Suspension swap...would like some input

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 11:53 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension swap...would like some input

I have and '01 Disco II and wanted to swap out the air suspension. I plan on giving it a lift at the same time (2" is enough for my plans) I found these 2" spacers from Toddco and was wondering about the ups and downs of this type of mod. If anyone has any thoughts on the subject, I would love to hear them. I plan on doing a little wheeling, some light desert stuff, maybe som trails through the mountains but, not rock crawling or heavy digging as this is my (my wife's) daily driver and I would like to keep it in one piece. I have heard people go both ways on the spacer idea and I was wondering why people do not like them. What are the drawbacks? Thanks.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:52 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You can not use spacers on an old warn out suspension and even more so when you have air bags.
First, why do you want to get rid of the SLS?
You can lift an SLS system by using a special block made b RTE or you can switch all your suspension over to new coils and shocks.
If you want some help with this, send me your tele number and I'll call and walk you thru this.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Drifting

I want to switch out the air bags because the rear suspension has been sagging a lot lately and I'm sick of the bouncing ride. I don't know if its the air springs or something else in the system abd I don't really have the money to try and find out. I wanted to swap the air bags for springs and use the spacers to get a small lift (2" is really all I need) I'm on a pretty small budget so, I found Toddco and they seemed to have some pretty cheap options, but I was wondering if that route would be a good one to go or if people had any bad experiences/thoughts about the whole idea. I don't plan on doing any rock crawling or heavy-duty wheeling, just a little here and there. Are there any drawbacks to this type of set-up? I would like to swap the suspension for coils if I can get a get a lift at the same time with out spending an arm and a leg.
Any help would be appreciated.
I'll send you my number.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:34 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If you want a 2" lift, buy one of the OME lifts from Lucky 8, best price on line. With them, you will not also need to buy spacers.
Make sure to match the front and rear coils and shocks and use a new stabilizer also.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Mudding

Spacers on a rig with a worn suspension will make the suspension wear out even quicker. New coils, and shocks will help control the ride. Air bags are great, but in general won't really remedy the bounciness. Maybe on trails, and hauling and towing loads it would help. Just my thoughts, and I'm not too familiar with Land Rovers yet, just Jeeps.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Drifting

The '01 Disco I have came stock with air bags for the rear suspension. I believe they are getting worn out and not inflating thus causing the bouncy ride. I have decided against swapping the bags for coils if the SLABS or ECU goes out. Until then, I will see what I can do to fix the problem. Discomike gave me a few ideas and I'm gonna see how they work.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

im with mike just order the 2 inch ome kit from justin at lucky8

Old 04-09-2010, 02:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Suspension swap would like some input

I am new and I would like to know about growing your own liverock and copepods. My tank is about 4-5 months old with pc lighting and good current. Should I scrape the algea off the front glass or let it grow for the coralline algea and copepods?