Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Headrest DVD screens for LR4

Old 09-01-2010, 11:39 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headrest DVD screens for LR4

I'm just about to upgrade from my trusty 2004 Toyota LandCruiser to a handsome low milage LR4 and have promised my kids to fit a headrest DVD system in the new vehicle to keep them occupied in the second row (and keep Mom & Dad sane! ). The LR4 I have found does not have the factory fit system, so I'm on the lookout for a good/high quality aftermarket system (any reccommendations anyone?), or would the advice from the owners group be to go to my LandRover dealer and have the genuine LR system retrofitted? I know the latter option will most likely be more expensive, but I would rather have something that matches the interior perfectly and that easily integrates into the overall LR4 wiring harness etc. (not being an electronics genius!). Any input welcomed!

Old 09-02-2010, 12:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the 2 major brands (at least the more reliable ones) that I am familiar with for vehicle specific headrest monitors are Myron and Davis and Vizualogic. This would be the route if you wanted to just buy the headrests and have them installed. another option is to go to a reliable local custom shop and have them mount a decent set of monitors in your current headrests (however if you sell the vehicle this may pose an issue, if you chose to keep the monitors) the dealer will most likely cost you more than twice either of those choices. I would at least discuss with a custom shop first to give you an idea of where you stand. You could also try Best Buy if you are interested in going with the vehicle specific route, this may save you some money. (also, the vehicle specific choices often come as a standalone option with DVD built into one of the monitors and RF headphones for each monitor)

Old 09-02-2010, 06:26 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

rear entertainment is available on all models of the LR4. It is a 2500 dollar option. Its fully integrated with the sound system and controlled from the rear and the front. You can watch the video on the front screen in park only. Just order the option from the dealer. Most dealers don't always order them unless someone specifies them. And its a really nice option.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
rear entertainment is available on all models of the LR4. It is a 2500 dollar option. Its fully integrated with the sound system and controlled from the rear and the front. You can watch the video on the front screen in park only. Just order the option from the dealer. Most dealers don't always order them unless someone specifies them. And its a really nice option.
is that parts only or does it include labor? if it is total price (parts and labor) for the upgrade then it is actually a really good price (well considering its factory and even worse yet its factory land rover!) I think on average the custom aftermarket package of 2 custom headrest screens 1 dvd player (be it a separate hideaway unit or built in to screen) would be somewhere between 1,000 and 2,000 installed depending on what you get and where you go.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:49 PM
2nd Gear

Apparently Landrover use 7" Rosen screens as standard/OEM when ordered from new. I managed to find an after market seller (http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com) who provide a kit (2 Rosen AV7500 Replacement Headrests with DUAL DVD, Wiring harness, and Remote control) which is in the style & color matched to the various LR4 interiors. Seems like a reasonable deal at $1350 for the kit! Although still need to find a reliable installer who will not make a mess of the wiring!!

Old 10-07-2010, 10:38 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by DesertRacer62
I'm just about to upgrade from my trusty 2004 Toyota LandCruiser to a handsome low milage LR4 and have promised my kids to fit a headrest DVD system in the new vehicle to keep them occupied in the second row (and keep Mom & Dad sane! ). The LR4 I have found does not have the factory fit system, so I'm on the lookout for a good/high quality aftermarket system (any reccommendations anyone?), or would the advice from the owners group be to go to my LandRover dealer and have the genuine LR system retrofitted? I know the latter option will most likely be more expensive, but I would rather have something that matches the interior perfectly and that easily integrates into the overall LR4 wiring harness etc. (not being an electronics genius!). Any input welcomed!
I just installed the Kenwood DNX7100 unit. From a navigation standpoint I don't know if it gets better then Garmin. Real simple install as its all included in the unit, no need for separate components and it doesnt use a car dvd for mapping so its spot on. Also no need to tie into the vehicle speed sensor as it uses waas for speed. I like the pioneers, but think the nav in the kenwood is amazing.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:58 AM
4th Gear

hello guys..
thanks for sharing information..