Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

It's not a Rover build thread, MGB with Ford 302 power :D

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Been awhile since a update so...

Made a junk yard run for some seats for the 110 and found a wrecked Miata in the yard with a pair of very nice condition black cloth seats. Picked those up for $70 and have made the adapter for the driver's side seat need to make two more for the passenger side seat next. Of course this project made me by a new tool a 8" drill press The seats look like they were made for the MG and are very comfortable compared to the original crap. Took a bit of fidling to get it all lined up right but well worth the effort.

With the parts MGB-GT I got my hands on a oak steering wheel for the MG and it's now all re-finished and looks fantastic. I can't wait to install it.

Also got a good driveshaft off of the GT, to replace the one in the MGB the yolk was damaged in the rear of the shaft. Probably why it kept eating u-joints. So I rebuilt that so it's ready to go in.

Today, I installed the new clutch master cylinder so now the clutch is functional. Once I get the new drive shaft installed she should be drive-able again!

Old 04-29-2015, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

So finally got the driveshaft installed today. Did a few little jobs here and there and finally after 8 years I drove the MGB today. I forgot how much fun that little go cart is lol. I had the top down, and my wife thought I was crazy. It was 45 degrees and sunny I didn't see the problem.

It was funny seeing it next to the 110 in the driveway...

Attached Thumbnails It's not a Rover build thread, MGB with Ford 302 power :D-img_20130420_164429.jpg  
Old 04-29-2015, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

So far I have put about 700 miles on the MGB. She is running good but is having some temp issues idling in traffic. Checked all the usual suspects but everything seems good with the cooling system. She has never liked traffic, but the way she is now just doesn't work for my commute to work. So I'm off today to poke around the junkyard for a small electric cooling fan. I feel it just needs moving air through the radiator to be fine.

After that it's time to work on the front suspension and steering components. The tie rod ends look pretty shot and the bushings are completely gone. So that will be the next weekend project.

In the last few days I have topped off the shock oil, fixed the horn and installed a audio system. I also started a custom front bumper due to some towing damage my dad did to it about 8 years back. Hopefully I'll have that sorted out today and will post some pics even though, only 4 of us are reading this thread lol.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

So, today I installed a electric pusher fan to help out with stop and go traffic. That was actually a pretty easy and straight forward task.

I also got the "custom" (read booty fab) front bumper done out of two old scrap bumpers. The front frame horns were damaged during a tow bar incident with my dad a long time ago. Making it impossible to install the stock bumper. It is nice to be legal though so I came up with this.

As you can tell the bumper bracket angles are a bit off....

Attached Thumbnails It's not a Rover build thread, MGB with Ford 302 power :D-img_20130511_165354.jpg  
Old 04-29-2015, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Well I've been getting a slight vibration and it's getting worse. I put it up on a jack and have play when the wheel is grabbed top and bottom. So I have some searching to do to figure out exactly what is dead.

It never ends with these Brit's but I'll be damned if I don't love driving it.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Well I talked SWMBO into the garage to give a bit of assistance. She pushed and pulled on the wheel while I laid under the MG watching the suspension bits and it looks like it is the wheel bearings that I thought were fine last fall when I did the brakes. Well that came back to bite me in the *** lol

Old 04-29-2015, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Finished up the bearing replacement and tie rod end as well. Found the shock was still low on fluid so I topped it off again and now it is riding pretty smoothly. I decided I should do the driver side as well so I had to order another wheel seal since they only stock the bearings it seems at the local parts store. So I'll get that done tomorrow along with the other tie rod and then take it for an alignment.

It was great though today, my 7 year old daughter and I spent about 45 minutes just cruising the country side with the top down talking. It reminded me so much of when I was kid driving with my dad in the MGB.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Haven't been doing much with the MGB as far as work goes until today. Just been driving it and enjoying it.

Noticed a few days ago that that the clutch slave cylinder was leaking, had to do a roadside fill and bleed it a bit to make it home.

So this morning I went to pull it in the garage and see about fixing her up. She was running like crap missing hard idle was all over the place etc. Chalked it up to being cold and went on to replacing the slave cylinder. Got that done and thought with the SWMBO's help I had it bleed. Fired up the old girl and she was running even worse, and the clutch was not functional at all. So decided to take a break on the clutch for a minute and look into the problem with the engine. Found a vacuum cap had fell off leaving a huge vac leak on the intake manifold. Got that squared up and she is running like a top again. Tomorrow back to the clutch....

Old 04-29-2015, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Well it took forever today but I now have a clutch again!

After that I tackled the windshield wipers getting them working. Cleaned out the rest of the wiring from my Dad's old stereo/amp install. Made a radio blanking plate out of some plastic from the old center console, and a little chrome edge trim to finish the look. After that I got my old cell phone mounted up as the head unit for the stereo. Even without service it can still do navigation, play music, and pandora using the wifi off my current phone.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Well I've put over 1500 miles on it since the odometer picture about a month ago.

Yesterday I took the valve cover off and adjusted the valve lash. I can't believe how changing a few thousandths of inch can make such a difference. When I did the adjustment last time the car hadn't been driven in quite a few years or ran for that matter. So it was done cold to .015. This time I did it with the motor warmed to operating temp and set them at .013. Huge improvement in the smoothness of the engine and a bit of power to boot. I replaced the valve cover gasket while I was there and decided to move on to the weber carb....

After watching a youtube video of a Chimp tuning a weber carb successfully I decided I had 50/50 odds of being successful. So I followed the directions tuning by ear, and it made a huge improvement as well. I'll recheck the plugs in a few hundred miles along with keeping an eye on the tailpipe to see how she is running. Fingers crossed I think I did it right!

Quick Reply: It's not a Rover build thread, MGB with Ford 302 power :D