Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1999 Discovery I SD Sunroof stopped opening

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 02:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearw
Funny that is about what my sunroof controls look like... someone cut out a hole in that plastic piece for the switch (you could tell when I removed it, looked like it was done by hand).

Makes me wonder..
Wow.. I guess they never figured on someone needing to remove it so didn't care to do a more professional looking cut..

Old 11-14-2014, 02:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Cosmetic Issue LOL

My sunroof looks like someone took to it with a cigarette butt because the cloth is withering from around the front edge of it where you use your hand to pull it closed. It also looks like that on the sunroof door itself and the edges of the surrounding material on the headliner that encase the door.

Is that something that I can get repaired or would I have to replace the whole dang headliner and sunroof door material?

Old 11-14-2014, 10:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by TOM R
That is an aftermarket sunroof

Middle position on light should be door , then there is an off and on

You may end up needing to drop that entire front ceiling console and check power with a meter or test light, it comes down with #2 Phillips screws

Do you have lightup sun visor mirrors? Do they work? Your entire problem could be a bad fuse, or someones bad wire job relating to the sunroof

There is a fuse panel under dash by the steering column, drop that pannel use a coin to turn the 2 retainers 1/4 turn counter clockwise, panel is hinged and drops down, check fuses
Tom, do you have any ideas on the sunroof problem? Are you thinking it is a problem with the power or wiring or do you think the sunroof's motor is out?

Old 11-15-2014, 09:15 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

If you can get access to the motor you could run 12 volts directly to the motor to diagnose the problem. I use a 12 volt rechargeable drill battery.

it seems you have an interesting problem if the motor is bad, I'm not sure where you will find a replacement. Your sunroof is definitely not factory but some were fitted with dealer option sunroofs, but the button mounting was a lot cleaner than your photos show. The first Discovery I parted out had dealer option sunroofs and the motors were not the same as factory.

If it's the motor and it's the same as the dealer option ones, I can give you one if you pay for shipping(can't be more than $10 depending on where you are).

Good luck

The following users liked this post:
colemtd (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 12:34 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by abran
If you can get access to the motor you could run 12 volts directly to the motor to diagnose the problem. I use a 12 volt rechargeable drill battery.

it seems you have an interesting problem if the motor is bad, I'm not sure where you will find a replacement. Your sunroof is definitely not factory but some were fitted with dealer option sunroofs, but the button mounting was a lot cleaner than your photos show. The first Discovery I parted out had dealer option sunroofs and the motors were not the same as factory.

If it's the motor and it's the same as the dealer option ones, I can give you one if you pay for shipping(can't be more than $10 depending on where you are).

Good luck
Hi Abran! Thanks so much! Yes please private message me with your paypal details!

Old 11-19-2014, 12:21 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

PM sent

Old 12-01-2014, 06:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Sunroof Motor Not The Problem!

Hi All, here is an update to my Sunroof not opening problem:

My electrical guy said that it's not my motor because he was able to hook something up to the motor and bypass the switch and open the sunroof.

So my problem now is that now I know it is the switch but my switch doesn't look like the other switches for sale. I see what you all are talking about now that it is aftermarket.

Looks like all the switches online for my Disco I look different than mine, so how do I find a switch or how do I fix the one I have if I can't find one that looks similar to mine?

I posted a picture of my sunroof switch earlier in this post..

Old 12-02-2014, 04:54 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your switch looks like it is a standard window switch. If it were me, I would get a Disco sunroof switch, wire it in and call it a day.

The following users liked this post:
colemtd (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 01:36 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Butchhe
Your switch looks like it is a standard window switch. If it were me, I would get a Disco sunroof switch, wire it in and call it a day.
Thanks Butchhe, possible obvious question here, but if I got a Disco sunroof switch, then will it be the 3-button switch with a lock button in the middle?

And if so, will I have to get the person to cut holes for the other 2 switches to fit in properly and then just wire one of them to function with the other 2 just being there for cosmetics?

Old 12-02-2014, 05:55 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen them on ebay both ways so it all depends on what you want. I would look for the single switch, cut the current hole bigger to fit the new switch and wire it up and be done with it.

Quick Reply: 1999 Discovery I SD Sunroof stopped opening