Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

4wd gear selector

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 09:56 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd gear selector

I have tried looking around and didn't have much luck with someone explaining well how to fix my problem. My 96 lock selector isn't really working. It got stuck on hi diff lock. Been driving like that (my front drive shaft broke and was told leave it in lock until fixed) well my new shaft comes Tuesday. When I move or try to move the **** to select something else. It's stuck on right position. I can move it forward and back but I need to be able to actually move it and more importantly select from lock and non lock. Id like to tackle this after work today! Please someone point me in the right direction please thank you!!!

Old 04-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Best thing remove the console, remove the shifter from top of trans, disassemble clean real good, grease reassemble no problems ever again

Otherwise get under eighth try prying the cdl lever over or tap while someone pulls the shifter

Old 04-19-2014, 07:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Try doing it with the truck rolling a couple of miles per hour. Trans in neutral.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

If it is stuck High - Unlocked then you have no choice but to remove the shifter housing from the transfer case and disassemble it. On the shifter stem there is a nylon socket that fits over a metal ball and is held in a hole in the cross shaft. Once the tabs break for the nylon socket a spring beneath it pushes it out of the cross shaft. There is no way to shift from High/Low, Locked/Unlocked once that happens. Another problem that occurs is the shift dogs in the Transfer Case for High/Low, Locked/Unlocked become very tight from lack of use. The last problem to occur is the High/Low shift lock solenoid shorts which allows High Unlocked/Locked but not Low Unlocked/Locked until you remove the solenoid's pin.

If you repair it, use it every couple of weeks to keep it from locking up again.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:31 AM
Three Wheeling

Thank you for that ^ confused me some haha but just need to read it when I'm free and not trying to do other things! The way mine is that it's stuck on the full right side of the gear selector. It can be moved easily from front to back (don't feel anything engaging and diff lock light stays on). Then, to try and move left there is almost no way not is tough as hell!!! My front drive shaft came in sat night so i need to get this resolved before putting it on! I want to be able to go from unlock to lock so I can drive it comfortably and not break drive shaft but do drive it off road with no worries. Thanks for all the help and patience guys.

Btw I saw some video of some British or Australian guy take apart his shifter and then showing the assembly of the selector and I have yet to finish watching it but hopefully it'll be a visual help!

Old 04-21-2014, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Scouts, he is stuck in high lock with non front drive shaft

Lots of good info but IMO have someone pull left on the shifter while you try to move the selector on the case, or at least lay under truck and look at linkage while someone moves the shifter to see it it is trying, if it is not trying take out console remove plate on floor remove and disassemble shifter, clean lube,reverse

You do not give location but if in northeast like me shifter cross pin was rusted in place

Old 04-21-2014, 08:34 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

if it is stuck on the right side that is diff unlocked, and if you are moving front to back and feel no noticeable change the linkage has broken. you need to pull the console and inspect/clean the bits down there. its not hard, just a PITA. took all weekend for me to free mine up.. bought mine from the original owner and i doubt he ever moved the lever.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:05 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

I have seen this on 6 shifter assemblies 4 I have freed up and 2 shifter assemblies are stuck permanently in the right position that I can't get to release. I have disassembled, soaked in carb cleaner and drenched in PB blaster but no luck. I do not have a heavy duty vise, and that would help I'm sure.

Finally decided to use them for parts.

So, depending on the level of "stuckness" you might have to replace it.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:15 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

if i didnt have a vice, i would not have been able to fix mine.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:03 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for all the info guys. I started to take apart the. Boot and such. I should get a good view of it tomorrow after work to see the shifter assembly from the inside down. Hopefully it's something easy. I'm sure it's something semi simple since I got it from original owner and truck seemed to be clean and not modded even had city tores so doubt they ever put it to use. The first day I messed w it I locked the diff and now I'm here lol

Quick Reply: 4wd gear selector