Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Discovery Series I Tech Section

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 07:14 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts
Default OBD reader on your smart phone

OBD reader on a "smart" phone.

Ultra gauge is great but even they have come out with a wireless version. If you have a smartphone of any type (iPhone or Android), you can use that phone as an OBD reader.

You need two things...

1- A 'dongle' to connect to the OBD port under lower portion of the dash (North America). The type of dongle you purchase depends on the type of smart device you have.

If you have an iPhone, you will need a WIFI dongle (although other options are apparently available for newer versions of the iPhone).

for example:
Amazon Amazon

If you have an Android device you are best ofF with a BLUETOOTH dongle.

for example:
Amazon Amazon

2- OBD reader app for your device. Once again there seems to be a divide between iPhone and Android.

For iPhone one of the better apps is: OBD Fusion
https://www.obdsoftware.net/software/obdfusion

For Android Torque seems to be the current leader of the pack
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en

Locating the OBD port....

All that's left is to launch the app, fire up your wifi or bluetooth on the device, and follow the directions.

THIS WILL BE THE BEST $20-30 YOU HAVE EVER SPENT ON YOUR ROVER AND WILL SAVE YOU MANY HOURS OF ANGUISH AND WRENCHING.

Last edited by WaltNYC; 06-02-2022 at 01:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (05-02-2018)
Old 01-28-2017, 06:15 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Am I the only one in the world to have a LHD+GEMS+manual+AELS???

I'm searching everywhere to find a wiring diagram for my Discovery 1. I already have the factory service manual and electronic troubleshooting manual but they are for distributor ignition. My truck has the distributorless ignition and it has had an intermittent misfiring problem since I have it that's getting worse recently. Coil pack, spark plugs and HT leads are all replaced and premium quality. I'm now at the point where I have to bypass sections of the engine management harness between ECU, injectors and coil packs to pinpoint why it runs not too bad when cold but when hot it looses more and more cylinders whitout however quit working... I'd need a wiring diagram complete enough so I have the splice locations as well. Does anybody have the wiring diagram for a 1998 Discovery 1 with 4.0l GEMS, AELS and manual transmission?

Last edited by GRAVZZY; 01-28-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Hatchetjack (05-14-2023)
Old 07-25-2017, 11:44 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Brake Light Switch Specifics

remove and replace brake light switch could be an easy job for some but others (me, me,) a PIA.. here is why.

If anyone considers pulling your switch out of your vehicle to test in another.. Don't even try without reading this.

The switch plunger is depressed by the brake pedal at rest - it releases the pressure on the plunger when brake is applied. From here please note on pic 1 there is a red sleeve around the plunger that when it is pulled out all the way, then and ONLY then can the tabs (top and bottom) be depressed to allow the switch to be inserted OR removed.

When you first install a new switch you must depress the brake pedal to allow the sleeve to remain fully extended so the tabs can flex and allow insertion. Once installed and snapped into place you let go of the brake and the plunger sleeve is retracted back and locks the tabs.

Easy sleazy? but wait! there's more..

Even though the hole in the metal bracket that holds the switch is square, be aware there is a groove at the bottom left corner that you can feel with your fingers. There is also a notch that forces you to only install it one way.

Here is the gravy...

once installed you may try for 30 or 45 minutes to get the one way only straight 4 pin plug to snap in place only to realize that some replacement switches have reversed the orientation of the 4 pins...

That is what prompted me to share this info.
Hope it helps someone..

Switch will not come out (unbroken) unless sleeve is pulled out

Sleeve must be all out before installing and brake must be pressed

Some after market have reversed the pin order

Old 12-02-2017, 05:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

FYI The rovers north link about lightbulb numbers and locations no longer works. Goes to main website

Old 11-16-2018, 02:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

"am i the only one in the world to have LHD, GEMS, Manual, Advanced Evap....."
No, not the only one... I have one, but they are incredibly rare.

Hatchetjack (05-14-2023)
Old 01-18-2024, 08:28 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

ABS Blink Code Procedure

https://www.rswsolutions.com/index.p...code-procedure

Each code is stored individually. If you have more than one code, you will need to clear them one by one. It can be time consuming.