Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Oil Separator

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 02:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil Separator

All right keepers of the solutions to my mistakes... Today I decided to take care of the soft PCV hose I found while cleaning the throttle body & realizing I forgot to install the gasket between the step motor & throttle body. After looking that the PCV kit I got this week, & knowing it was only 15 degrees outside, I thought it would be a 5 minute job; not so much since the new hoses wouldn't stretch over the nipples as they were too cold :0 The issue I have now, is I pulled the separator out of & it was packed full of sludge!! I actually thought I had pulled an inner sleeve as it was so smooth and shiny. I took off to the house to clean it without noticing which way it came out (by the way... Don't pour throttle body cleaner into a Solo cup!! I destroyed our antique living room coffee table as the ate through the Solo cup and the finish on the table (wife will be pleased when she gets home!!)). Can anyone tell me (1) why the separator was packed with all of that sludge? (2) What operating issues would be associated with the separator being packed tight? (3) As I said, I was shocked when I saw all of the sludge on the separator, so now I have no idea which way it goes in as there are identical plastic stems on each side, but there are opposing ends one being beveled & one being flat? (4)And finally, how in the heck do you get a new PCV hose to go over the passenger side valve cover nipple?? It just wont stretch over it...

Old 03-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

sludge comes from oil vapors that are drawn into engine to be burned. Needs to be cleaned with carb spray from time to time. Sounds like a new trip to the furniture store is in your future. 72F here.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

1. Age and temperature.
2. Valley pan will eventually bulge outward, engine will bog.
3. I don't know, I don't use one. I use a clear inline filter.
4. Vaseline, KY or spit.

5. Your wife is going to kill you for buying the Rover. You could have bought a RRSC for what you've paid for and ruined in a year.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks guys! I'm hoping this new excursion will alleviate that pesky P1179 code I've been chasing. I know I've blown a lot of cash on this thing in the past year while negotiating the Disco learning curve, but I've had fun doing it & it's still cheaper than buying another new SUV and losing the value to depreciation The worst part of this experience is I'm currently banned from bringing parts into the house due to the damage to the coffee table (RIP)!! Of course, the wife said the same thing about the dog I just had to have & she's still here

Last edited by wrongway1; 03-02-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Guess you need to learn wood refinishing now, not sure it matters what direction I just put it in however

Scouts what do you mean clear inline?

Old 03-02-2014, 08:33 PM
Camel Trophy

I found the original Rover method rather......odd. Old school method like this; https://www.thespindlepeople.com/pro...25c27edaf.aspx

You can find them at any parts palace and they clean up with carb cleaner or dish soap and hot water. It's easier to see how much blow-by there really is in these high mileage engines. I'm OCD when it comes to keeping the interior of the plenum chamber and trumpets clean and gives me a smoother idle. I also have a larger one on the other vacuum line from the drivers side valve cover. Works and keeps the IACV circuit and butterfly clean.

Last edited by ihscouts; 03-02-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Good idea, I just don't get why there is not a pcv valve like all GM engines

Old 03-02-2014, 09:54 PM
Camel Trophy

I don't know why although if you remember those also became stuck or blocked when loaded up too. Not as flimsy as the oil separator though and you'd still get oil vapor entering into the plenum without filtering.

I've seen two valley pans pushed up against the bottom of the intake so far from folks not knowing about keeping the pcv system clean. Both blowing oil either through the exhaust or blowing it out the front and back of the valley pan seals. Not good to let an engine get that far along......

Old 03-02-2014, 09:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts
Red face

lay a couple of Land Rover magazines over the damage on the coffee table.....she wont touch them ,( for a while anyway) and it will buy you some time to think up a better plan !

Old 03-03-2014, 08:02 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by XCELLER8
lay a couple of Land Rover magazines over the damage on the coffee table.....she wont touch them ,( for a while anyway) and it will buy you some time to think up a better plan !

Oh, it didn't take (2) minutes for her to tell there was an issue with the table. Still in the dog house this morning, and I'm in town all week to listen to her complain about it. She keeps going back & forth between the antique table and my Disco obsession. If she ever finds out how financially deep I am in this thing, I'll be sleeping in it

Quick Reply: Oil Separator