Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fitting a snorkel

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 05:50 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Discovery snorkel

Originally Posted by TOM R
Here ya go price went down, 163

There is a video on YouTube of a britshop installing this shows where you need sealer, I would use your own pop rivets, they supplied steel ones with my kit gun didn't like em

Snorkel Kit for Land Rover Discovery Series 1 300 TDI Diesel 3 9 V8 1994 S390A | eBay

You should also put your vehicle year in your signature this fits 94/99 d1 gas or diesel
I have edited my profile pic but for some reason it doesnt seem to show on my posts like your pic does on yours. You can see it when you view profile tho. I`m cornfused

Old 09-16-2014, 07:46 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Dach Savage
Oddly enough I like the looks of the Safari better. And though it is running down the fender I don't really see that as a huge problem. IE: if you hit something hard enough in that area to break the snorkel you probably have bigger problems. While I do like the steel construction of the Mantec and the way it is hidden behind the fender I don't like the look of the cut in, that it requires removal of the fender and mainly the flex pipe that ends up being hidden behind the fender and will likely never be checked again. My concern is that in our heat the duct goes to heck in a year, one doesn't think of it and then when you are running across water and really need it you end up slamming water up into the air box. And for those of you that think that it never rains in Arizona I can tell you that I have a dry wash that runs thru the front of my property, bone dry 50 weeks of the year. 2 weeks ago it was running almost 3 foot deep. When it rains here is Noahic, the rest of the time it is hotter than blazes and dusty.
FWIW I don't think the duct will go to hell in a year. Its tucked inside the fender away from the sun and outside the engine bay. Guys have been running that style of snorkel for a decade with no reports of deterioration. You should use a high grade silicone to seal up all your hose/duct connections.

Originally Posted by Dach Savage
I have edited my profile pic but for some reason it doesnt seem to show on my posts like your pic does on yours. You can see it when you view profile tho. I`m cornfused
Profile pic, Avatar pic, and Signature are all different things.
Profile Pic is what someone sees when the go look at your specific user account.
Avatar Pic is what shows up under your Username in each of your posts.
Signature is usually typing that shows up at the bottom of every post. Some people put their vehicles in their sig, other people put funny quotes.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've wanted a snorkel forever based on the ascetics factor alone. I just wish there would be a solid benefit to having one other than looks.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:17 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by wrongway1
I've wanted a snorkel forever based on the ascetics factor alone. I just wish there would be a solid benefit to having one other than looks.
A snorkel will help keep water out of your airbox if you enter too fast or that corner of your truck becomes submerged.
It also draws in air from higher up which is arguably cleaner/contains less dust.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

if I could have found a mantec cheap like that I would have done it, the safari looks cool and functions fine, but black plastic baking in the sun just imo makes the intake air temp higher then needs to be

I do agree sticking off the fender is not an issue, if you are that close to something you should have figured a better approach angle, I have yet to bash a body panel offroading in any vehicle, just think things through and move with a purpose

probly just pissed off the rover gods need to make a sacrifice lol

Old 09-16-2014, 11:56 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by TOM R
if I could have found a mantec cheap like that I would have done it, the safari looks cool and functions fine, but black plastic baking in the sun just imo makes the intake air temp higher then needs to be

I do agree sticking off the fender is not an issue, if you are that close to something you should have figured a better approach angle, I have yet to bash a body panel offroading in any vehicle, just think things through and move with a purpose

probly just pissed off the rover gods need to make a sacrifice lol
Yes and no. I've gotten into some trails that start off easy and end up insane. You are left in a narrow ravine. Sloppy mud. Trail pitching into an eroded bank. Exposed tree roots. Turning around or even finding an escape is not a possibility, let alone the ability to pick a line. I was only able to finish the trail by winching myself about 500ft. My battery was not happy after that. Granted it was my fault for going up a trail called "Carnage" but I sustained severe body damage to my passenger side including blowing out the rear window. If the trail had leaned the other way by driver's side would have beared the brunt of it and if I had a Safari style snorkel I'd be out $300.
Name:  IMG_522599358226691_zps0f83c6bd.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  72.4 KB

Yes that's mud on my roof rack rail. The entire rack was pushed back about an inch from digging into the bankName:  IMAG0757_zps64222f08.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  169.8 KB

Also broke the passenger side mirror and front passenger window deflector, and opened up about a 1" gap between the passenger rear corner panel and quarter panel. Ugh

Last edited by fishEH; 09-16-2014 at 11:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Disco#Steve (12-31-2021)
Old 09-16-2014, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Sorry I don't wheel that hard, my toys are always my daily driver