Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Stereo not working, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Stereo not working, please help!

So i have a few problems with my stereo. The backlight on the tape deck used to come on, and i would try to input the stereo code, but it would just beep. I had a problem with the sunroof and wasn't getting power to it, so like idiots, my dad and i found a good power wire in the back of the stereo (instead of from the battery) and jumped it to the sunroof. I got the sunroof working, but the stereo backlight wont come on now, or beep. The backlight flashes periodically, in rhythm with the Pioneer 6disc changer shuffling, I can hear it cycling the empty trays, and the stereo backlight flashes at the same cycle. I checked the fuse in the back of the head unit (7.5a) and the one in the fuse panel, (10a #3). I checked the power amplifier relay, but noticed i can't find the amplifier! I was wondering if there were different high-end stereos besides just the tape, or tape with disc changer, sub, amp, etc. And if the ECM is under the pass. dash behind the glove box, (which it is) then what is this under my driver's seat? It looks a lot like an amplifier!

Old 02-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Three Wheeling

crap, i need to find a host site to upload the photo!

Old 02-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoIsNotDead
crap, i need to find a host site to upload the photo!
If you don't do the quick reply, you can attach the photo to the post, instead of linking to it.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:43 AM
Three Wheeling

here is my lack of amplifier on the pass. kick panel. not even mounts for one:

Name:  SANY1245.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  113.9 KB

here is the outputs on the stereo, one says main, (im guessing to amp) and sub, both look like standard RCA connections when unclipped

Name:  SANY1246.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  92.1 KB

And here is what is under my driver's seat. I've seen people say that the amp is behind the dash/glovebox, including the land rover manual, and i've heard other sites claim its behind the 6 disc changer under the pass. seat, (it isn't) but i've never seen anything about it under driver's seat. If this is aftermarket, someone did a damn good job! All the connections look factory. I thought it was the ECM until i saw the ECM under the dash, then i was confused?!

Name:  SANY1247.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  140.3 KB

Old 03-01-2011, 02:07 AM
Three Wheeling

Ok i double checked the manual and that is definately the amplifier. It must be because i have the 98' 50th anniversery? Either way, its listed on there, but i don't see any fuses on it, does anyone know about THIS amplifier?

Old 03-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LR did make some changes on various models and often in mid stream as faar as model year goes. It is all by VIN #. The ECM you have in the first pic, behind the glove box is the window ecm. The engine ECU is on the passenger's inner fender wall under the "bonnet". The stereos did improve as the years went on, but the early Disco stereo is a major disappointment. I would replace it all with some decent aftermarket equipment unless it is a minor problem.