Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Disco-catalytic problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Disco-catalytic problem?

Hi I'm a proud owner of a '96 Discovery, which I bought in March ('07) and it doesn't work, well it did when I bought it.
The drama is that it stalls out and you can hear a weird noise like its going to explote anytime, I don't know much about cars, but those noises are not normal. It works fine one day and the next it doesn't, it has a mind of its own or too many sensors.
I've taken it to a couple people to get it "fix" but no luck. My mechanic replaced the exahust system (the whole thing) and got new oxygen sensor and cleaned out all the things possibles.
Land Rover dealer not an option, it cost too much money and IF they fix.
The Disco doesn't like cold starts, before you had to warm it up for about 10 min drive it slow untill is ready. Now not even that, it goes up to 10mph and if I try to force it sounds like is misfiring. I got it back this weeekend to test drive it but it can't go more than 10mph.

When it works it has power and off-road is great!
What to do???? I don't what to hurt the new catalytic and I don't what to get rid of my Disco. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Yessenia

Old 10-07-2007, 06:37 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: 1996 Disco-catalytic problem?

Is the check engine light on, if so what fault codes does the truck have?

Old 10-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Drifting

Yes,the check engine light is ON. Also when I start the truck the "antilock" light is on then it goes off when it starts running (don't know if thats normal). Not so sure about the codes right now (today) but on this past Friday were P1300, P1301, P1302. Something about the catalytic misfiring. Last night I looked for any sparkly at night or something but no sparks.
Friday night drive in the afternoon, then at night it didn't (only @ 10mph, misfiring, with jerky movements and "pops" around the catalytic or somewhere in that area). Saturday same thing no luck on going over 10mph. Sunday night, after several attempts to get it running it did! but still feels like is having a hard time when I press the accelerator and go over 30mph and again on 40 and 50 after 60 starts shaking even more and the "pop" is low but still there. Wel now is at the shop again to what was the damage of the weekend. Also smells like something is burning very strong smell.
I got some pict of the engine and some recording of the sounds if your interested.
I appreciate you answering back, you seem to be very "Disco literate" (like you know what you talking about) =)
Thanks
Yessenia

Old 10-07-2007, 08:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How old are your plugs and wires? Might be worth it to check out the Magnacor link and get some new wires and plugs. The catalyst misfire is a catalyst damaging misfire. meaning it is backfiring in your cats and it will melt them if you keep driving it like that. I would start with good plugs and wires.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:37 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like you have sticking valves, not closing all the way.
If thats the case you can use Seafoam to help clean it out.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Overlanding

How many miles and have you changed the fuel filter and checked the fuel pump?
It sounds like fuel to me , but could bea bad coil and plugs and wires. Cleanthe injectors with SEAFOAM and eliminate your fuel problems first, then go from there in my opinion.
Also run premium gas in this beast. Check manifolds for leaks or cracks.Let us know what you narrow this down to

Old 10-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Drifting

Thanks for suggestions, I'll pass it on the guy that's fixing it.
The truck has 155K miles, I bought it in march. I don't know about the fuel filter or the fuel pump but I'll ask.
I took it back last night and smelled like it was burning somewhere, it ran ok after several attempts to get it going over 10mph it went up to 60 struggling everytime when changing gears. The mechanic says is not the spark plugs, wires, or MAF. He will check it this week again on some other things and give me updates once he finds something. I notice while I had the truck that it was leaking oil form somewhere underneath, not very much but good enough to see it probably a 5" diameter spot on my driveway.
The mechanic said is feeding to much fuel and he try to "trick" the computer and let it take more air (he try to explain it to me the easies way possible, but I didn't get it lol). He says the reading he gets on the computer are not very specific, and thats the reason why he can't determine exactly what is causing the problem. The truck is fine one day and the next craps out.
These issues are driving me nuts, and I don't know anything about cars to even think on doing it myself, because after all these is really going to be pricy. I like the truck very much and the mechanic says it has hopes and the engine is not in bad shape, but I don't know who much more to put in.
I got some pict and sound on the engine if one of you guys can tell me what I'm looking at =).
I'll keep posting and I appreciate your answers.
Yessenia

Old 10-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Drifting

Seafoam? is that literary seafoam? Sorry for the dum question, but at this point I commited to learn about this truck and mechanic in general.

Thanks

Old 10-08-2007, 08:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't mind listening if you want to send the clips.

jason@longrider.com

just an edit in here about your last post. Not literally foam from the sea. It is the brand name of a product. http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUp.htm

Old 10-09-2007, 06:17 AM
Drifting

I had the "bright" idea to do this clip at night. But you can hear the first second the whistling after you hit the accelerator stays loud all the way through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZrbhJNGGB8

Thanks

Quick Reply: 1996 Disco-catalytic problem?