Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Disco-catalytic problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1996 Disco-catalytic problem?

OK, the whistling noise is gone, that was intentionally, to try to find other problems. Anyways, I test drove it yesterday and it rans better, still misfiring and eating gas like crazy! in the terminology of my mechanic "is running fat" (too much fuel). He checked the wires, plugs, MAF, idle control...(whatever the name is). And there is no leak in the manifold. Valves and coil are the next thing to check.
when it starts cold is when you can hear the misfiring, also when I try t keep it at a certain speed start vibrating like its wants to quit. I'm getting the magnacor wires anyways and see what's up with that. Though, I'm not changing the plugs; because he says they are in good condition. Would you recommend me getting new plugs anyways?

Old 10-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: 1996 Disco-catalytic problem?

Throw a new set of Champions on just for the heck of it. Not too expensive and that rules it out. You should have a coil pack behind the intake. Sometimes they go out, but go with the plugs and wires first.

Does your truck make a whine when you shut it off? Sounds to me like your water pump is failing. When the idle fell low, it whines loud in the clip. If it does, you need a new pump. YOu can take the belt off and turn the pump by hand. Should make the same whining. I had the same noise before I got anew one.

I would go through it and check all of the vacuum lines again. Maybe even replace them. If your valves were bad, they would be ticking.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Drifting
Default '96 disco misfiring

Ok, I'll do that so they're how many sparks plugs again? Also forgot to mention that besides the check engine light (yellow) the service engine light (red) came on, that's a new one, never been on before at least not with me.

Thanks for you reply

Old 10-11-2007, 08:38 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: '96 disco misfiring

ORIGINAL: 1stDisco96

Ok, I'll do that so they're how many sparks plugs again? Also forgot to mention that besides the check engine light (yellow) the service engine light (red) came on, that's a new one, never been on before at least not with me.

Thanks for you reply
The red light light can be reset its just a service reminder light.
Inside the right kick panel just in front of the door is a green box
with a hole in top about a 1/16 in you will see that it most likely has
had a small paper over it that has a punch hole in it.
With the key on and not running yiu will need to stick something metal in ot short across two small wires this will reset the light.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Camel Trophy

8 plugs...

What are the codes you are getting? ask the mechanic to write all of them down and post them on here.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Drifting

I went to my regular visitations for my Disco. And the news is that is still running rich on fuel. I didn't get the codes but he gets "multiple fires" on the readings.
Today he change the plugs for the platinum +4, to see which on is going bad after he drives it, one of the old plugs came out wet, that was not a good sign. The truck still drives fine, with misfiring when is cold. When start driving about 60mph and try to keep it a constant speed starts shaking.
He did something with "crank shaft" and that fix the problem when it couldn't go over 10mph. Fuel pump and the coils are fine. Next thing to check is teh injector to see which one is bad.
Thanks and I appreciate your responses.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Camel Trophy

The plugs will do no good without the Magnacor wires. When he pulls the old plugs, if you find one that is blacker than the others, that is the one with the bad injector...if you have a bad one..

A list of all of the codes will help a lot. YOu can have multiple misfires, but joined with a 4th gear ratio code, it changes to a MAF.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:47 AM
Drifting
Default Now the fuel injectors

After a long week we finally got down to the FUEL INJECTORS, the left bank was running rich, yesterday he clean the fuel injectors and the problem persisted, he change the left injector to the right and the problem after that was the right side, so I need new injector for the left side or should I go a head and get all of them?
After almost 2months on being on the shop my mechanic is letting me buy the parts to cut down in cost. So does anybody know where I can find the best price on fuel injectors? I found a site were they're $118 shipping is free! (it better be) could I find them any cheaper than that? here is where I found them
http://catalog.drivewire.com/drivewi...=Fuel+Injector

Thanks

Old 10-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Now the fuel injectors

That is a terrible price.
Atlantic British has the factory set of 8 for $600.
I still question the need to replace the injectors, you just don't get 4 on one bank that fail.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:16 PM
Drifting
Default RE: Now the fuel injectors

Mike
I found the set for $649.95 at Atlantic British, thanks!
He really didn't say if all 4 were bad, he just said that the left bank is the problem and the fuel injector were causing it, that's why he suggest to change all 4 of the left side. What should I do? ask him to know for sure how many are bad? or what else we should try?

Thanks again.