Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for a new owner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 04:37 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for a new owner?

I just bought a Discovery 2. A 2004 SE7 with 61000 miles on it. We bought it primarily to use off road, on trails to go camping. Not looking to do any big league 4x4 rock climbing or anything like that, just camping in out of the way, off the beaten path. We plan on putting larger tires on it and doing some modifications, but I'm not sure what yet.

This is our first Land Rover and I was wondering if you guys might offer some constructive advice for a new owner, such as maintenance, tools, books or suggested reading? I'm also looking for a few good parts houses that specialize in LR, both on and off road parts.

Thank you for your time and help.
Steve

Last edited by smonk; 05-25-2014 at 04:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-25-2014, 04:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2" HD lift, 265/75r16 tires, rebuild your front driveshaft, and check the sticky up top of the D2 section of the forum, you'll want to do that service list (pretty big, but a Land Rover needs a lot of love).

Old 05-25-2014, 05:08 PM
Rock Crawling

Never mnd the lift or tyres yet or mods ets. First thngs to do is get an Ultra gauge EM. Crawl underneath and check the front drive shaft then look about replacing for a fully greasable one. look to put a 180 thermostat in sooner rather than later then work through the high milage service

Download a copy of the Rave (link in my signature) which is the work shop manual for these vehicles.

Enjoy the pleasure and pain of owning these great vehicles

Old 05-25-2014, 05:47 PM
Winching
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Plugs/wires/oil change/check front driveshaft/ check ac aux fan is a good start.

Then do front/rear diff and transfer case. If you can do the 180 inline thermostat mod/ check the axle breathers and that should be good for a while if there aren't any other known issue.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:44 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

If you're just using it for green laning and nothing extreme don't spend lots of dosh on it just maybe some offroad tyres which can run also on tarmac nothing too extreme.

Firstly, run a codes check then clear all the existing fault codes, then drive it for 50 miles and re-check the codes for faults and then do a service and fix the codes, if any, check over the brakes, steering gear and drive train etc - no panic it's low mileage. My survival motto, 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' ..........or spend money on stuff you may never need or use. Enjoy and save your cash for when you may need it later. Good luck.

PS get a good quality socket set - Snap on, Mannesmann, Britool etc (metric and AF) also spanners etc. You'll accumulate more tools as you go along when needed.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 05-26-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

get some good walking shoes.

kidding! get maintainence up to date,keep shafts and cooling in good condition, download rave and have fun.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:43 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Since it's a SE7 I would assume it has SLS on the rear. I would keep it and enjoy the ride. Skip the lift and just go with an inch taller tire like 255/70-16's if you have 16" wheels or 255/60-18's if you have 18". Make sure your CDL lever moves to engage the CDL. Most people don't use it much and it will freeze from lack of use. You have a nice ride if it has that low of miles.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:01 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive it for 500 miles and see what breaks and go from there.......if u have any money left after that; what they said

Old 05-27-2014, 08:35 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Thank you!

Guys I appreciate the responses. The consensus seems to be... 1. Just enjoy it till something needs to be fixed and 2. Change the damn drive shaft
I've yet to take it to my mechanic as we just got it but that's first on my list. Also buying Ultra gauge EM and going through the check list.

Can you guys suggest a parts house? Someone who has quality parts at a reasonable price.

Thanks again for the comments, as new owners things like this forum are a big help.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Lucky8llc.com, RoversNorth.com, Roverparts.com they are some good parts warehouses for both aftermarket and oem.

Quick Reply: Advice for a new owner?