Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing radiator hoses today, few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 12:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default changing radiator hoses today, few questions

so i got the top hose, the bottom hose and the one that comes off the pump. the one that comes off the pump and connects to the reservoir and top of thermostat, do i need to remove the fan to get it off and the new one on? or just pull the top cover that the top hose rests in and im good? ill be changing the thermostat as well so all that will be out of the way, will that allow me enough room to get the hose off from the top? do i need to go from under side?

just ran my first water flush threw the system and letting it cool down now.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:06 PM
Rock Crawling

this is all the fluid i got out from the bottom hose. the manual says the system holds 13.5pt or 6.5L or 1.72 gallons.

this is the hose i want to install and wondering if the fan needs to be removed to get the old one off and this new one on?

i used a lid from one of those 50ish gallon tub containers from walmart. worked pretty well at catching it all.

Last edited by BS50MGSXR; 04-30-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Looks like a great greta job and thanks for posting the pictures. If I'd seen your thread I would have said yes, you will have to take the fan off to reach the hose at the water pump. But I'm curious... Did you take the fan off?

Old 04-30-2016, 08:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

I changed mine just by removing fan shroud, it was pretty tight putting hose clamp back on but it is not that bad, just be careful not to damage fan blades & place clamp in right position,, (I always use a little black silicon between hose & metal tubes & let it cure b4 filling with coolant, so I don't get leaks later),,,

Old 04-30-2016, 08:51 PM
Rock Crawling

Charlie_V , i have not yet installed that hose. was waiting for some responses here was all. so iv been slowly all day long just running distilled water threw the system. iv run about 6 gallons threw now. i guess ill go by northern tools tomorrow and see if they sell a 36mm wrench. or what have others used? i tried my crescent wrench but it will not open enough to get on there. my next size up crescent from harbor freight is to fat to make it in there.

also, this last fill of water, about 1.5 gallons, i have the new 180T installed, let the engine run up to 195 on the torque app, but the bottom hose south of the thermostat is still cold. why wont it open at 195 if the thermostat is suppose to be rated for 180 degrees?

Old 04-30-2016, 09:01 PM
Rock Crawling

the fan shroud over laps the fan blades, so didn't see how i could slide it out of the way. the hose looks ok, my upper hose was the only bad one that was stretched. even the hose south of the thermostat was ok but its changed out now too. i got all the stainless steel band clamps installed around the thermostat and at the bottom of the radiator. i did just use the old squeezing clamp on the top of the radiator. but ill still replace that hose, but will see, maybe ill pull the fan next week or tomorrow.

do those squeezing type clamps that came on the stock hoses really have issues with sliding off? or are the stainless steel clamps more of a convenience of removal and tightening? or are people just greasing the hoses to make them slide on easier but resulting them popping off under pressure?

Originally Posted by Bom2oo2
I changed mine just by removing fan shroud, it was pretty tight putting hose clamp back on but it is not that bad, just be careful not to damage fan blades & place clamp in right position,, (I always use a little black silicon between hose & metal tubes & let it cure b4 filling with coolant, so I don't get leaks later),,,

Old 04-30-2016, 10:21 PM
Rock Crawling

well went out and ran the truck again with just water, let it run up to 195 and then the thermostat finally opened and the truck at idle was sitting between 194 and 195. so that's better then before at 204 to 206 idle temps. granted the 194 this evening is just idling to temp in the garage and not a driving around town temp. will see what that's like maybe tomorrow if i finish all this mess and get my 50/50 in there.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by BS50MGSXR
well went out and ran the truck again with just water, let it run up to 195 and then the thermostat finally opened and the truck at idle was sitting between 194 and 195. so that's better then before at 204 to 206 idle temps. granted the 194 this evening is just idling to temp in the garage and not a driving around town temp. will see what that's like maybe tomorrow if i finish all this mess and get my 50/50 in there.

There is probably still some air in the system. Recall that the electronic thermostat that your app reads is on top of the intake.

I think I use a 1 7/8ths wrench on mine, so that must be close to 36mm. I've also used big pliers but if yours hasn't been off in some time get the longest wrench you can find (you'll use it again) and a mallet to get the nut started. I always put a dab of anti seize on mine to make it easy to take off next time.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:25 PM
Rock Crawling

do other devices read temps off another sensor that's more accurate?

Old 05-01-2016, 06:19 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

Yes, Northern Tool sells a fan clutch wrench set that is the right size for a DII. I have one.

Performance Tool Fan Clutch Wrench Set — Ford Models, Model# W80585 | Specialty Tools| Northern Tool + Equipment

Quick Reply: changing radiator hoses today, few questions