Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 headliner recover

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 08:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default D2 headliner recover

so my 2001 discovery needed the headliner recovered... i have upholstery experience , so i figured ill do a write up on it and someone can sticky it or move it to its proper place.

first remove the headliner
remove the sunvisors, and clip thing, and the storage/dome light/sun roof control plastic piece ( all phillips screws) theres a screw behind the garage door control.

next remove the grab handles above each door (2) 8mm screws on each one

removing the B pillar ( where the seat belts are) pull the door seals off around it, notice the 2 clips on each side of it, pop them..
pull at the top with a flat screw driver or panel tool to remove

the middle plastic panel with center dome light removes with a phillips screw behind the sunroof switch, which pulls out safely with a small flat head screw driver (stays with the headliner till its out of the vehicle)

remove the cloth trim surround around the sunroof opening, keep in mind seam in the rear.

the rear quater panels... 2 at the bottom of the big window are phillips screws , the rest pull out with a panel tool ( 6 each side i believe)

behind the seat belt, the small panel between the seatbelt and window pops off , they should remove then
the dome light lens needs to come off and then i believe it was (2) 8mm nuts
the rear panel above the rear door pops off with a straigh screw driver or panel tool.

after the headliner is loose and laying on the seats, pull out of rear door, and you might have to fold it a little in half to get it out..

next, prop it up on a table or milk crates or whatever.. i used a window rack and my old stove lol..
the nets and center control all come off from the back side via 8mm speed nuts , take a marker and mark the metal plates so you know where they go back.
then strip the old material off and the old foam off, use a wire brush or wire brush adapter on the end of a drill motor.

now i went to an actual upholstery shop supplier that i use,you can do the same or go to an upholstery shop and bring the ring you took off around the sunroof opening , so you can match it up. i ordered 4 yrds you can prolly get away with 3 or 3.5( measure a couple inches longer, you must order 64" wide material.
also if you have an air compressor.... DO NOT use the glue in the aerosol can... use something similar to this a pint should do the job.

its much better to use and go to harbor frieght or local tool store and purchase this gun to spray the glue with..

lay the material out over the headliner board.. i did the hardest part fist ( the widest part of the board) the rear section , then worked my way to the front. take your time and think it out before doing it.. cut a small x in the sunroof openings, for relief. after you cover the face, flip it over and glue the edge all around and around the sunroof openings. trimso theres about an inch and roll it over onto the back side, all around the board and around the sunroof openings, making relief cuts where needed, make X's in the grab handle openings, and sunroof openings. trim around for the dome light areas, i punch a hole where the sun visor clip goes and for the front storage thing and for the rear net storage thing.

while everything is out, nows a good timeif you had sunroof issues, water leaks or to replace the dome light bulbs with LEDs.. i resiliconed around the drain tubes on the sun roofs

to assemble just remember how it all came a part and put it back together

if you have any questions or comments please do so !!! even pm me if you want!!!

Attached Thumbnails D2 headliner recover-img_2036.jpg  
The following 5 users liked this post by jessezipper:
5kcstq (07-10-2015), Andy2Rover (07-09-2015), clint70 (07-10-2015), OffroadFrance (07-09-2015), Racer X (07-10-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 04:57 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Nice job well done.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks

Old 07-10-2015, 12:30 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Great job, and thanks for the writeup!! Well done

Old 07-10-2015, 01:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Nice work!

Old 07-10-2015, 03:33 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks good! Just went through this a few weeks ago.