Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 2 HomeMade Roof Rack build!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 10:20 AM
Winching
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

haha now u said cheap so now I can't sell it and build another! hahaha I left room on top so if I ever installed a sunroof in the font Id be able to open it! but I don't think I will...

Last edited by dparham; 05-19-2020 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:20 AM
Winching

my plan almost got me that lift and new tires! Doh! lol

Old 12-10-2014, 10:25 AM
Winching

Im going to wire it internally through rack I think for a super clean look and safe from snagging and anderson waterproof connector from disco to rack for quick release

Old 12-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dparham
haha now u said cheap so now I can't sell it and build another! hahaha I left room on top so if I eve installed a sunroof in the font Id be able to open it! but I don't think I will...
Don't forget the value in labor! That's were the money is. How much would it cost to have a shop build something like this.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:45 PM
Winching

haha exactly! lol I was just joking lol

Old 12-20-2014, 04:50 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by mbruneaux
Genuine roof racks are always big bucks. I bought one from a lady at work who didn't have a Disco anymore for $100. But the wife didn't like the wind noise.....

I really regret selling it although I got $500 for it. I didn't even know what it was worth when I bought it. I will be making me one soon.
you know... my design has less parts and more aerodynamic by design... it is extremely quiet! To be honest I don't think I can actually hear it up top!! I did hear the Yakima I had... but it too was a nice rack , I just always wanted the big cage top! another good thing with this rack is it protects my disco from falling coconuts here in South Florida! hahaha

Old 08-31-2017, 02:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Sharp looking rack (and truck)!

...but would you please educate me on why you went with tabs for the mounting points on the gutters instead of sticking with the EMT tubing level on the gutters (no tabs)?

*couldn't a clamp go under the gutter and up into the EMT tubing to hold the rack onto the roof instead of having to weld on tabs??

Attached Thumbnails Disco 2 HomeMade Roof Rack build!-roofracklevel.jpg   Disco 2 HomeMade Roof Rack build!-roofracktabbed.jpg  
Old 08-31-2017, 03:02 PM
Winching

mainly I went with tabs because I saw tabs on other ones and that plastic trim is very brittle and the last reason is clearance for mounting other items.. you really want as little contact area as possible and still retain strength as anywhere the rack touches will scuff.. and if you wanted to mount something low you have plenty of clearance when its not strictly on that rail gutter ... in my experience that rail is also not 100% strait so you have a little play to get it a perfect fit with the tabs...

Old 08-31-2017, 03:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

OK, thanks. That helps me understand.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:34 PM
Winching

well if anyone had any questions on if my brazed EMT rack would hold up, its still going strong and I had a HUGE mishap with it! I went under a carport with low hanging beam and bicycle laying on my rack and it really messed up bike.. rack slid back a few inches and dinged the roof and bend the back section down in middle.. all joints held up great! i cut the back section in middle out and straitened it up and added a replacement section of EMT... this really held up well and because it is slightly forgiving.. only minor damage to disco only because it slid back and flexed down a touch ( bent). if were a lot stiffer would have damaged my vehicle much more ! This was a very inexpensive build for me cost wise and Im totally happy with it! plus its cool to run down the road with one arm out window holding onto rack looking quite cool! lol

The following 2 users liked this post by dparham:
Mil3s (12-30-2021), whowa004 (07-22-2020)

Quick Reply: Disco 2 HomeMade Roof Rack build!