Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 2 HomeMade Roof Rack build!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 09:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Nice to hear it’s still working for you

Old 08-22-2020, 11:58 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dparham
total was about $50 in 10x1/2 EMT and 10x3/4 EMT have enough left could build almost another or at least most of one! $15 in bar stock
another $5 in 3/8 bolts
$4x8 for ***** and washers ($32 )
paint was about $5 a can.. 5 cans... maybe could ave had it powder coated but this paint is really good! shown earlier but cans drip so I used rubber gloves lol

misc welding or brazing rod, and I had to fill my small portable 02 and acetylene tanks.. but have plenty left so Im not factoring that in.... rod maybe 10 rods of 1/8"
and for the Finally!
well first formal fitting.. lol

from a distance off a person would think you spent big money on that rack. It looks damn good. How rugged is it? How's its strength? When you walk on it does it bend?

Old 08-23-2020, 02:33 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

A nice touch would have been...adding some flat stock between down riggers/rack supports...for mounting a shovel or sand tracks. Granted, maybe not needed in your case...but others that might be following along and considering a duplicate. Great looking rack overall...and glad to hear she's still holding up...even under assault.

And please don't take my constructive criticism personally...hell, l've had my Defender's rack on and off four times...and l'm still not a hundred percent sure it's done...lol. Everything, is work in progress, when you build it yourself.

And like the Friendly Giant use to say..."look up, look waaaay up"...for that next trip through a parking garage. Okay, l might be dating myself here...lol. Old childrens program from the sixties.

Last edited by The Deputy; 08-23-2020 at 02:42 AM.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:01 AM
Winching
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

hahaha well I agree! It didn't sound like criticism just sounded like options! After all I did make it custom to put whatever I needed on it! I did have plans to do some more to it.. its held up well... I think a new one id use 1 size larger eat and it would be rock solid! I could easily walk on the sides and the front but the basket Id not do as its kind of close to hood... design 2 would be to make it a slight bit shallower and add a low rail over top basket.... maybe add that or make a clamp on rail in case I needed put something on tall... right now I can put 4x8 sheet plywood and more! I can easy hole 4 sheets as I did and u can easily load it up! anyway its not very flexible but id not stand in center of rack and jump up and down it may flex a little... I have bracing around to compensate for that though.. I wanted to add all kinds of goodies to it but if had some engine and suspension work I've had to do first then have started making guitars again and its taking up a good potion of my time!also having some paint fade so need to address that too!

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (08-23-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 04:59 AM
Winching
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

That is impressive. Very nice.
& bike framesmith as well...

Were you making only recumbents?
Or are you building for Hetchins..!?

Old 08-24-2020, 08:50 AM
Winching

THANKSI I made some recumbents and other bike builds too my main building is custom guitars ...

Old 08-25-2020, 07:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Looks great gives me ideas. Wondering about using 1” tubing and how strong that might be over all?

Old 08-25-2020, 07:36 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Awesome roof rack dparham. Glad to have found this thread.

The following users liked this post:
dparham (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 07:53 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by merebel
Looks great gives me ideas. Wondering about using 1” tubing and how strong that might be over all?
i think i would consider using 1” next time only because it looks beefier lol but this works fine u less u want to put an atv on top or really load it up! U could do 1” around bottom for strength then 7/8” for the rest for weight .. also remember the gutter channel will also be taking the weight .. just my observation

Old 08-25-2020, 08:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dparham
i think i would consider using 1” next time only because it looks beefier lol but this works fine u less u want to put an atv on top or really load it up! U could do 1” around bottom for strength then 7/8” for the rest for weight .. also remember the gutter channel will also be taking the weight .. just my observation
with yours are you able to stand on it with little issue?

Quick Reply: Disco 2 HomeMade Roof Rack build!