Go Back   Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum > Vehicle Line Up > Discovery II
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-05-2010, 09:55 AM

Default discovery 2 roof leaks - headliner repair

Hi
I have a leak in the front corners of my roof. Noted by the staining on the headliner. Anyone have a similar problem? Can this be fixed, and secondly, is the headliner difficult to redo? Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:59 AM

A simple search will give you many results and answers to your question. These things have been covered very recently.

The first thing to do would be to check your sunroof drain tubes, if you have sunroofs that is. Also check the seal on your windshield, that could be leaking as well. If your stock roof rails are loose, they can leak as well, so tighten them up. You can access all of these areas by dropping your headliner down.

'96 DI SE7 5spd - It drives me to poverty.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:05 AM

The sunroof drain in the front becomes clogged and is a relatively easy fix. Pretty sure it is on the passenger side, just pull the map rack and visors. You can drop the front enough to access the drain. Clear it and make sure it is still connected.

Do not use cleaners on the headliner, just use water and a rag. Chemicals will make the fabric come loose from the backer foam. If you want to do the whole liner, it isn't that bad. I did mine in 3 hours without having done one before. The trcik is to get all of the old foam off with a wire brush and start with a clean surface. You will need 2 cans of good adhesive. I used 3M. The new material will need to be at least 60" wide. I just found a local upholstery supply and did it in my garage. I went back with black instead of trying to match.
2010 GLK 350 Mercedes
1990 VW Cabriolet - Lake car...
1997 Discovery SD-7 to put the boat in.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:11 PM

The rear sunroof plastic surround piece or gasket underneath will warp over time in the hot sun. Some will say drop the headliner and check the tubes, the rubber seal between the glass and the sunroof assembly as well as on top where the plastic piece sets on top of the metal roof. I cheated and ran a bead of clear silicone around the outside edge of my rear sunroof to fix the gap from the warped trim piece.

Last edited by gowest; 02-05-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:21 PM

edtatton

you might as well pull the headliner clean all 4 drain tubes and refinish the headliner. check out my write up in the discovery HOW TO section

93 RRC TF track rod, tie rod & steering damper, OME +2 springs, TF shocks, TRW rims, Bottorf front bumper

Northeast Land Rover Club
www.nelrc.com
Old 02-05-2010, 08:21 PM

Thank you all for your help!! I appreciate it. I would have driven it off a cliff without this forum. (For example $1700 quote to do my front brakes and rotors which took me 1 1/2 hours)
Old 02-05-2010, 08:21 PM

Tags
beach, discovery, forum, headliner, ii, land, leak, leaking, rear, repair, roof, rover, tulsa, virginia, water