Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extra cooling upgrades for the D2? (Towing and pulling grades)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 01:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Extra cooling upgrades for the D2? (Towing and pulling grades)

I'd prefer to take my D2 on an upcoming camping adventure to the pacNW coast and plan on pulling the RPod travel trailer.
Unlike my LWB Classic or my wife's LR4/D4, my D2 continues to struggle with keeping engine temps down when pulling a grade or while towing. To save time on this thread, this isn't about diagnosing a poorly functioning cooling system, I've already done that. What I'd love opinions on, is how to upgrade my D2 for towing. So far I've found a couple of Australian sites where they talk about adding additional transmission and oil coolers, but no links to which ones or how they were installed.

i'm also curious as to whether anyone has experience with the Allisport radiator? Allisport claims a 30% improvement in cooling efficiency over the stock radiator.

i'm very interested in US based folks who have tackled this problem. Bigger radiator? Additional/bigger transmission cooler?
cheers!

Old 01-12-2017, 03:03 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

if you have an 03/04, adding an 04' trans cooler as an engine oil cooler is a nice upgrade. It wot keep coolant temps down, but it will cool the engine oil.

You will need the trans cooler from an 03/04 and the engine oil cooler lines from a 99.5-02.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

The only other options I would say besides what abran posted is electric fans, inline thermostat mod, and water wetter. The inline mod will help the cooling system run lower but you being in the pacnorwest might need a radiator muff(yea I said muff lmao). The electric fan will increase air flow draw through the radiator and I haven't seen anything on radiators BC believe me I'm sure they would make a fortune off of the member of this forum, myself included, if it were factual.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:19 PM
Pro Wrench

I run a factory 180 degree thermostat and I use the water wetter by royal purple and I pull a lifted golf cart with tailgating supplies every weekend during football season( about 200 miles round trip) and also pull it to the hunting club depending on the season, anywhere from 300-600 miles round trip and never had any issues with the cooling system overheating

Old 01-12-2017, 04:24 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by abran
if you have an 03/04, adding an 04' trans cooler as an engine oil cooler is a nice upgrade. It wot keep coolant temps down, but it will cool the engine oil.

You will need the trans cooler from an 03/04 and the engine oil cooler lines from a 99.5-02.
mans just for FYI l, yours is properly equipped. All front covers on the 99.5-04 have the ports for them. The only difference is that yours are plugged by 2 brass plugs and they are easily accessible.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
I run a factory 180 degree thermostat and I use the water wetter by royal purple and I pull a lifted golf cart with tailgating supplies every weekend during football season( about 200 miles round trip) and also pull it to the hunting club depending on the season, anywhere from 300-600 miles round trip and never had any issues with the cooling system overheating
whats your definition of overheating and how is your truck built? (4.6? , wheels/tires?, rack? Bumpers? Sliders?)

My problem only occurs while climbing grades. It occurs regardless of which stat I run, cooling system can't keep up.

i actually do have an inline stat already, hood louvers (engine bay heat was melting wiring under hood), ceramic coated headers and an oil cooler (purchased a trans cooler from Abran)

Maybe the way I should have phrased the question is to ask if anyone has upgraded their cooling system for heavy towing. The Allisport aluminium rad comes with fans pre installed and boasts 30% better cooling capacity but at close to $1k I'd prefer to hear what the community has done.

on another note. Anyone got a source for D2 oil cooler lines? Can't find new ones anywhere and the ones I got with the trans cooler are leaking.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:49 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

^ Sorry Robert, forgot I sold you a kit!

The lines are not available for sale. I have searched everywhere. I am actually going to look into getting some made locally. I will update all once I get somewhere on that project.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by abran
^ Sorry Robert, forgot I sold you a kit!

The lines are not available for sale. I have searched everywhere. I am actually going to look into getting some made locally. I will update all once I get somewhere on that project.
no problem
I may try the Hayden radiator mister and see if that alleviates the problem. If it does, then it may be time to bite the bullet and go with the Allisport.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I guess one more approach might be to replace the condenser fans with something more powerful and to have them switch on at lower temperatures before things get out of hand. I can overheat on a prolonged 5% grade unless i'm real careful even if i'm not pulling the 5000lb trailer.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
whats your definition of overheating and how is your truck built? (4.6? , wheels/tires?, rack? Bumpers? Sliders?)

My problem only occurs while climbing grades. It occurs regardless of which stat I run, cooling system can't keep up.

i actually do have an inline stat already, hood louvers (engine bay heat was melting wiring under hood), ceramic coated headers and an oil cooler (purchased a trans cooler from Abran)

Maybe the way I should have phrased the question is to ask if anyone has upgraded their cooling system for heavy towing. The Allisport aluminium rad comes with fans pre installed and boasts 30% better cooling capacity but at close to $1k I'd prefer to hear what the community has done.

on another note. Anyone got a source for D2 oil cooler lines? Can't find new ones anywhere and the ones I got with the trans cooler are leaking.
i have the 4.0 stock tires and wheels but heavier bumpers and no roof rack as of yet. I'm considering overheating above 205-210. Abran might have the lines. I use the factory set up but then again I'm down south and the inline doesn't serve my purpose but that just my preference. The only option I would know would be to do away with the fan and go with an electric set up. I know they aren't too expensive and I believe there is some write ups somewhere on here where folks have done them. They water wetter can help lower the coolant temp between 4-6 degrees average. Most advertise 10 degrees but I haven't seen it. I also have the ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and I went a step further and I'm having they magnaflow y pipe with cats coated. I know you said you have redone you cooling system recently but how is the viscous clutch on your fan. I have a lot of hilly terrain in central Alabama and never had a problem with high temps pulling. I've actually been surprised and better knock on wood before that comment bites me in the ***

Quick Reply: Extra cooling upgrades for the D2? (Towing and pulling grades)