Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extra cooling upgrades for the D2? (Towing and pulling grades)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 01:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

I've got an 03 with bigger tires, front bumper, lots of weight in the back, and I tow pretty regular. My engine runs at a constant ~188, never peaks over 195. What I've done is install the inline thermostat mod with 180 stat as well as an electric fan on a controller. It was a ford fan of some kind. You can find the info in the link in my signature.

I also wanted to keep the trans cool since I tow a lot. I ended up with a second 03-04 trans cooler which I promptly installed as a secondary trans cooler instead of as an oil cooler. I just bought some hose, plastic y splitters (rated at 275 degrees I believe), and hose clamps. Again, all the info will be in my signature.

The Ford fan, Inline thermostat, and secondary trans cooler has been a perfect setup for me. That's living in the mountains and towing pretty regular even in 90 degree weather, and I don't exactly drive my truck easy.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
I've got an 03 with bigger tires, front bumper, lots of weight in the back, and I tow pretty regular. My engine runs at a constant ~188, never peaks over 195. What I've done is install the inline thermostat mod with 180 stat as well as an electric fan on a controller. It was a ford fan of some kind. You can find the info in the link in my signature.

I also wanted to keep the trans cool since I tow a lot. I ended up with a second 03-04 trans cooler which I promptly installed as a secondary trans cooler instead of as an oil cooler. I just bought some hose, plastic y splitters (rated at 275 degrees I believe), and hose clamps. Again, all the info will be in my signature.

The Ford fan, Inline thermostat, and secondary trans cooler has been a perfect setup for me. That's living in the mountains and towing pretty regular even in 90 degree weather, and I don't exactly drive my truck easy.
Heh Alex, did you do everything at the same time? I also have a spare trans cooler mounted, but not plumbed. Are you seeing the biggest improvement from the electric fan or the extra cooler?

Old 01-14-2017, 08:07 PM
Camel Trophy

No, everything was done separately. I actually have not towed since I installed the secondary trans cooler because shortly there after I got a Silverado, though I am pretty positive that it will help when I tow with it again. Before hand I could feel the heat seeping up the shaft of the shifter, though at that time I was towing 7300 through mountain roads. Before long I would actually like to add an oil temp sensor for the transmission.

The electric fans helped to average out temps and also gained me 1 mpg on the nose which I promptly lost to larger tires later that week.

I'll be straight, the absolute biggest improvement was from the inline thermostat. That would be my number one. Second would be the secondary trans cooler if you're towing, and third would be the electric fan. If you're not towing I would bump the fan to second.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Hmmm I already have an inline stat. It works great except once it's fully open and I'm climbing grade solo or towing.

i might give Allisport a call on Monday and see what they recommend. They offer a pretty beefy radiator with attached dual spal fans, intended for d2 origin tray back racing trucks. My preference would be to keep the fan clutch but add an additional electric fan(s) if I have to go that route.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:07 PM
Camel Trophy

Hmm, in that case a bigger rad would probably be a good upgrade. I am actually planning on installing a Chevy truck radiator before long just because my factory rad is beginning to leak a little bit.

If you do mechanical fan + electric fans then you will need to go with really slim fans. Two cheap chinese 12" fans off of ebay fit the radiator pretty well (used those briefly) They don't pull enough air on their own but work well in conjunction with the mechanical fan without shroud. That said, you'll then have to find a way to make sure the mechanical fan doesn't come in contact with the radiator hoses.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I really want to pull the trigger on this bad boy, but damn it's expensive.

https://www.allisport.com/shop/performance-products/alloy-radiators/allisport-defender-v8-direct-replacement-alloy-radiator-with-spal-fans-cowl/

Old 01-14-2017, 09:53 PM
Camel Trophy

That's also for the defender and wouldn't be a direct replacement in your Disco.

I'd check out swapping in a Chevy radiator. I believe Dusty has done the swap, not sure about anyone else. Just an idea. You could probably find one in a junk yard somwhere pretty cheap.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle

That's also for the defender and wouldn't be a direct replacement in your Disco.

I'd check out swapping in a Chevy radiator. I believe Dusty has done the swap, not sure about anyone else. Just an idea. You could probably find one in a junk yard somwhere pretty cheap.
my mistake. I thought the d2 one had two spal fans but it only has one.
https://www.allisport.com/shop/performance-products/alloy-radiators/discovery-2-v8-alloy-radiator-fan-thermo-switch/

Old 01-15-2017, 04:56 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

I wonder what happened to Dusty. So many of the old-timers are gone from here. Savannah Buzz. Spike555. Antichrist. Josh of Option B fame (he's a demi-god). And yes, despite all the haters, Disco Mike. Hell, I guess I've become an old-timer.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:09 AM
Camel Trophy

Last I checked Dusty is still around. He just doesn't seem to visit the D2 section much anymore, sadly. You're right though. The older users have been disappearing. From what I can tell, the new "old timers" are mostly made up of members like you, I, Charlie_V, OffroadFrance, and a few others. Mostly those who came along during the old regime.

Hell, even I haven't been on as much in the past few months.

Quick Reply: Extra cooling upgrades for the D2? (Towing and pulling grades)