Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gasket replacement and what else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 01:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Head gasket replacement and what else?

Wanted some input from the forum. I got the heads off due to a leaking head gasket on the passengers side rear. I picked them up from the shop on Friday and they look brand new. I'm going a little slow on the project because of Christmas n it's my back up vehicle in my wife's eyes (primary in mine), and I want to keep her happy. I had my exhaust manifold ceramic coated and have the valve cover, upper and lower intake, throttle body, and various other brackets getting blasted n powder coated as we speak. I want her looking good even under the hood!! Fuel injectors will be cleaned and reworked and the fuel rail ultrasonic cleaned also. My question is, any recommendations of other stuff I should replace/repair while I have her down. I'm figuring I'll have her going back strong by the end of January or early February. I do have new wires, plugs, arp head studs (opted for that intead of bolts), the head gasket kit from lucky 8, and a few other various parts I'm gonna replace also. It's a 2000 disco 2 with 154,000 miles and all fluids have been replaced within the last month. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. I'm located in central Alabama so rust isn't a big issue for me....thank god!!!

Old 12-04-2016, 06:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Only recommendation I can make...is...make sure you clean your intake manifold/plenum/throttle body inside and out thoroughly. If I had a dollar for every horror story about sand-blasting material still being in the intake/plenum and ruining an engine...I'd probably have enough money to maintain these two rovers...lol. But, seriously...scrub, use a pick to clean crevices, rinse, blow out every nook and cranny in that intake...do this procedure two or three times. Or you may be replacing your engine soon...cylinder walls dislike sand blasting sand...immensely.

Brian

Last edited by The Deputy; 12-04-2016 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:02 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

I would replace all the cooling system components. Also a good time to do the front cover, timing chain, gears, and oil pump gear.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:46 PM
Pro Wrench

Got all new hoses n thermostat n new cap. I'm a little nervous about pulling the cover off n leaving it alone but I have been contemplating the oil pump gears n timing chain. Thanks for the heads up so far guys

Old 12-04-2016, 03:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Also take a look at your tensioner pulley and bearings in your idler pulleys. New serpentine belt, air filter if needed. Also, may want to look at new wiring looms, they get brittle after 15 years and may break and expose part of a harness after you finish.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:49 PM
Pro Wrench

Yea the loom covers were brittle. Put that on the list! New belt is already ordered and the pulleys look great. No slack in them. The tensioner has been recently replaced.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:31 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
Yea the loom covers were brittle. Put that on the list! New belt is already ordered and the pulleys look great. No slack in them. The tensioner has been recently replaced.
WoW! Thats great! You got almost everything there replaced. My budget was tight so I just power washed the heads! lol! I just finished my HG today. Tough but fun doing it. Cheers!

Old 12-04-2016, 07:55 PM
Pro Wrench

Well the budget it somewhat tight due to Christmas and my wife but I've been ordering little by little up until I got in trouble! Great news was I got it all pretty much ordered. She thought it was gonna be quick and cheap and I tried to tell her it would cost at least 1k but she didn't believe it. I'm looking at getting it all done right the first time because honestly, if the heads leak again, I'm just gonna pull the engine and have it rebuilt. But I figure she has all the Christmas shopping done so I can get back to my other lady now and get her back running right. I work for the railroad so my time is limited on some days. I had a big rainstorm the other night and noticed a little water in the rear cargo area and a little in the passenger mat but I suspect that is the door seals going bad. It is sitting on slight downward incline and the rear door shows the tell tell signs of a leaking door gasket. Gotta order those now and do a little adjustments. I did recently repair the sunroofs and those show no leaks but just to be on the safe side, I'm gonna remove the headliner and remove the sunroofs and replace the silicone with high temp rtv to be on the safe side....don't want the Alabama sun to eat away at the regular silicone within a summer.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:23 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts
Default My Experience with HG

Your right with getting all the right stuff and getting it done right. This was the first time I did this kind of fix. a MAJOR one for me. Anything could go wrong, from removing those tight head bolts, all the angle and position to take it out etc. Worst part is that my son helped me in the beginning so he did some disassembly while I get some tools. I only have some adjustable wrenches and assorted screw drivers. I event have to google breaker bar! But once you get started, there is no turning back. Took us over 3 weeks including waiting for parts, rainy days, freezing temperature and missing bolts that had to be ordered, those pulleys, belt and tensioner which was last minute at after I completed the job and found out the belt was loose and everything was squeaking. I test drove today for 50 miles, so far no leak yet. Cheers!

Old 12-04-2016, 10:26 PM
Pro Wrench

Well you have it looking good. I'm ready to have mine back running though. I really miss those heated seated!!!!

Quick Reply: Head gasket replacement and what else?