Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater core leak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Heater core leak?

My passenger side front floorboard is soaked with coolant. Is this is a heater core leak? I know that coolant is constantly running through the system whether the AC is on or not but should the leak be exacerbated if i turn the AC on?

I drove today without the AC and I noticed the soaked floorboard. How big of a pain is this to fix? I could smell coolant while driving.

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 02-21-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

"BIG"!!!
You will need to pull up all your carpet and pads, cleaning everything out and drying it for a few days, then take it to a a good Rover shop and have then replace the heater core, be prepared cause this is not a cheap job.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have high miles and many years of service this would also be the time to think about replacing your HVAC servo motors while the Rover shop has the your dash in a hundred or so pieces the pull the heater core. Especially if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a number of years.

Like anything they are a wear items and (I believe there are three of them) these servo motors are buried deep into the HVAC.

2003 Discovery 125K with high miles service complete.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

And if this is just the wrong time for this to happen, and you can stand the cold, you can remove the two heater hoses that go thru the firewall to the core and splice them together so you can drive the truck. Might want to check to see if it is just O rings on the pipes where they mate to the heater core. The truck is built around the core. There is no on/off valve, the coolant flows thru there winter and summer.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
And if this is just the wrong time for this to happen, and you can stand the cold, you can remove the two heater hoses that go thru the firewall to the core and splice them together so you can drive the truck. Might want to check to see if it is just O rings on the pipes where they mate to the heater core. The truck is built around the core. There is no on/off valve, the coolant flows thru there winter and summer.
This will have to be my option. What are the odds that it's just the o-rings?

I haven't noticed a loss of heat when using the AC but I almost never use it to save gas.

It is necessary to pull the carpet? I thought these things we designed to get wet.. I mean I will if I must absolutely do it. But it also appears to be the least of my problems.

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 02-21-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Three Wheeling

I did one of these pretty soon after I got my rover. It is the biggest PITA job I've ever done on a vehicle. I was sure it was a heater core, but it actually ended up being the previous owner had some how bent the pipes that go into the cab and under pressure it would blow coolant back into the fire wall area and that is where the leak was coming from. I think I probably had a very rare problem, but it might be something worth looking at. A mechanic once told me (don't know if it's true or not) that a lot of people attempt a heater core repair on their own after they hear the "waterfall" If you purchased it recently, might cross your fingers and hope against all hopes.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

How much does the dealer charge to replace the unit?

Yes i heard the waterfall noise. I will have to do the bypass option that Sbuzz suggested. I just dont have the time to attempt a repair like that right now. Sounds like HG level difficulty.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:29 PM
Three Wheeling

A guy who specializes in rovers here in alabama wanted $1200 to do it. I don't know what dealers charge or what mechanics in other areas charge though. Make sure it's someone you trust, because they can junk up the interior pretty quick if they don't know what they're doing.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

See attached RAVE page, you may be able to pretzel around or use a mirror or snake inspection camera and get a look at them. Pix of the bypass method. Hot coolant goes thru there all the time, no on/off valve. So if you disconnect, it will drain all cooling system above that level if not running. If running, a profound leak will empty the coolant into the passenger compartment.

AC on/off won't change the coolant leak. You have up to 20 psi inside from cooling system, depending on what temp you are running. At 20 PSI the coolant cap vents.

If you are considering a stop leak product, also think about what it will do to the rest of the cooling system.

Attached Thumbnails Heater core leak?-heater-bypass-2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d1 heater o ring.pdf (727.6 KB, 332 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 02-22-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Well I spoke with a reputable independent Land Rover mechanic. I described my symptoms and he said is most likely that the heater core o-rings are leaking. He said he'll charge just under $400 to do the job, $890 if the heater core is toast.

Are the o-rings hard to replace DIY? Will I need to remove the dash? I've taken out the glove compartment and I can see the heater hoses but I can't get a good look at the o-rings yet.

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 02-24-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Heater core leak?