Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hitch Mounted Dirt Bike Hauler - w/ Spare Tire On

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hitch Mounted Dirt Bike Hauler - w/ Spare Tire On

Does anyone know of a manufacturer of a dirt bike hauler that mounts in the rear hitch that can be used with the spare tire left in place?

While I have a nice 7-1/2 x 18 enclosed aluminum trailer that I can haul the bike in when I'm planning a long stay in a campground, occasionally it would be nice to just throw a bike on the back of the Disco II when pulling a trailer is not practical in more remote locations.

Thanks in advance for any replies...

Jeff

Old 04-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I purchased one of these for my disco 2. Hitch Extender with Step or you could use this as well http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...der-98677.html
I was given a custom cargo carrier that when placed in my receiver it rubbed against the bumper. It is rated up to 4K lbs.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Its called a mx hauler, it goes in your hitch and you put your bike on sideways and the bike stays on by two pins which go through the footpegs. Here's a link. Ultimate MX Hauler - Black

Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Hope you have installed some new HD coils in the rear.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Ended up ordering a Hitch Hauler from Summit Racing products. Should arrive tomorrow and I pick up the new bike on the 21st.

No need for HD Coils. Have a band new set of factory air bags and the weight of the dirt bike is under 275 lbs. Much less than I might load in the rear cargo area of the Rover when packed for vacation plus the tongue weight of the 7-1/2 x 18 trailer that I've pulled with the Rover.

Should be no issue at all... Assuming the bike clears the spare tire...

I'll test it out with a buddy's bike before I drive all the way to Michigan...

Old 04-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Hope you have installed some new HD coils in the rear.
Listen to Disco Mike on the HD coils in rear, I learned the hard way, I raced motocross for three years and had to lug my bike, gear, etc... to and from races/practice, now my rear springs are sagging and now looking for springs, shocks, lift 2". Probaly going with the terrafirmas.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by TripleThreat
Ended up ordering a Hitch Hauler from Summit Racing products. Should arrive tomorrow and I pick up the new bike on the 21st.

No need for HD Coils. Have a band new set of factory air bags and the weight of the dirt bike is under 275 lbs. Much less than I might load in the rear cargo area of the Rover when packed for vacation plus the tongue weight of the 7-1/2 x 18 trailer that I've pulled with the Rover.

Should be no issue at all... Assuming the bike clears the spare tire...

I'll test it out with a buddy's bike before I drive all the way to Michigan...
You should have cleareance, I hauled a crf 250 on back with no problems, make sure you strap the front wheel with a tiedown or bungie cord so it doesn't swing back and forth.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:23 AM
Rock Crawling

By the way... I never posted my final solution:

Name:  LoadedHusky.jpg
Views: 5235
Size:  303.8 KB

I did end up having to extend the main tube by 2" to gain a little extra clearance between the foot peg and the spare tire, but I'm very happy with the result.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a suzuki DR650 that comes in at 350 pounds. I have not had any problems hauling it on a carrier rated for 400 pounds. The front of the rover sits up a little higher, but other than that it hasn't affected anything. I also do not use it every weekend like that. It has been on the back five or six times at most so far. As in the above picture I also have to load it backwards up the ramp so the spare tire doesn't interfere with the handlebars. I also place cardboard or sheets in between the tire and the plastic on the bike or it will rub a mark into the bike's plastic. I don't know the brand, but my carrier is the exact same one in the picture. I bought mine on craigslist for $120.

Last edited by 2rovers; 01-02-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

looks great. Did you change our your springs...
You see when you load you put stuff inside.. over the axle. This is how load ratings are scheduled. you have taken an extra 300 lbs off the back from a central point. This makes the 300 lbs closer to a load rating of 500 lbs. You may have air bags but you are beating the living **** out of them. DO yourself and you truck favor and get the HD springs. it will offset the rear hanging weight the way it needs. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Hitch Mounted Dirt Bike Hauler - w/ Spare Tire On