Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HSE vs SE... your thoughts on buying used.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default HSE vs SE... your thoughts on buying used.

I'm currently searching around for a 2003/2004 Disco, and have been going back and forth between the HSE and SE. Any good arguments for one over the other? The price difference is really nothing, so what it comes down to is cost of ownership. Is the self leveling suspension going to be a high dollar repair down the road? Is the HK audio a great deal better? Any thoughts or tips would be helpful!

Old 10-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
I'm currently searching around for a 2003/2004 Disco, and have been going back and forth between the HSE and SE. Any good arguments for one over the other? The price difference is really nothing, so what it comes down to is cost of ownership. Is the self leveling suspension going to be a high dollar repair down the road? Is the HK audio a great deal better? Any thoughts or tips would be helpful!
Snafu...honestly, I would stay away from both of those years due to a high probability of engine failure compared to other years DII were made; check this thread: https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...engine+failure

But...if I had to choose, 2004 HSE with SLS (also because 2004 has factory CDL). But, the SLS MIGHT become a high dollar repair down the road as well; check this recent thread: https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ing+suspension

HK audio is great...its what I have. TIP: rebuild your front driveshaft with grease-able parts no matter what year you buy or you will need a new transmission when (not if) it fails and punches a hole in the side of the transmission.

Last edited by mwindth; 10-12-2010 at 06:38 PM. Reason: added thread on SLS
Old 10-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a 2003 Discovery HSE which has been great since september of 2007. All maintenance performed by me.

Here are the major features of HSE over the SE.

-Harmond Karmon radio + goofy Navigation for year 2003
-SLS rear air suspension
-PDC park distance control ---beeps the fast your are to backing into an object solid beep @ 12 inches.
-Hill decent control - Basically 4mph down hills uses the ABS and TC to control the Discovery
-Heated windshield (included on some SE models with winter package)

Old 10-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by bosshogt
I have a 2003 Discovery HSE which has been great since september of 2007. All maintenance performed by me.

Here are the major features of HSE over the SE.

-Harmond Karmon radio + goofy Navigation for year 2003
-SLS rear air suspension
-PDC park distance control ---beeps the fast your are to backing into an object solid beep @ 12 inches.
-Hill decent control - Basically 4mph down hills uses the ABS and TC to control the Discovery
-Heated windshield (included on some SE models with winter package)
Hey Bosshogt...I was waiting for the '03 owners to chime in! All DIIs have HDC..and let me clarify, I'm not saying all '03s and '04s are doomed to fail...but the PROBABILITY is much higher compared to other years DII were made. I just think it is prudent to let potential new owners know of the high amount of engine failures in those years.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

has been great since September of 2007.
Right on mwindth my statement is only true because I worship the Land rover forums and have spent probably over 3000 grand in excellent maintenance and other fun mods.

Last edited by bosshogt; 10-12-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Winching

Right on This statement is only true because I worship the Land rover forums and have spent probably 3000 grand in excellent maintenance and other fun mods.
LOL...if it makes you feel any better...I spent almost about the same keeping my '01 in tip-top shape!

Old 10-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I have a 2000 DII.

Not having the SLS means one less thing to worry about.
I have the premium sound system without NAV.
I don't have the PDC and have to parallel park daily. My rear bumper is at hood level of most cars, so I don't worry.
I may get a heated windshield at some point in the future if mine breaks, since all I have to do is buy the windshield, and a switch.
I have a $150 self installed 2004 CDL.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle

*Sigh* I knew I would be scared straight if I posted questions like this! It is funny, the other forums where I am a regular I held off saying my intentions as I knew everyone would try and talk me out of it. Heck, I have tried to talk myself out of it many times now as well!
I am no stranger to high headache cars, but I am really not looking to take on something that will give me huge issues, leave me stranded or cost me tons to fix. I am OK with having to replace some o2 sensors, flush some fluids, etc... but having to replace and engine or transmission is not something I want to have to spring for.
Pretty much, I am looking for a 3rd vehicle (sold my summer car yesterday that was my spare) that I could use for ski trips, mountain biking, kayaking and maybe even towing a small boat or 4-wheeler trailer (should I ever purchase either). I could go the cheap route and grab an old Grand Cherokee or something, but I like to think I am a bit more unique than that :-)

Old 10-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

04 SE7 owner here...bought it with ~35,000 miles on the clock back in 06...

It's never left me stranded, but I'm uber-**** about maintenance and follow the LR recommended service plan and then some...oil changed religiously between 3,000-3,500 miles...all other fluids changed at least as often as the service intervals state that they should be.

It's got close to 100,000 miles on the clock now and I can honestly say that it drives as good as it did when I bought it 4 years ago...engine sounds as good and the interior has held up remarkably well.

I've gone through the usual headgasket replacement and I also had to go through the more unusual rear main seal replacement, but other than those 2 major items everything else has been cake. The temp gauge has never moved above the half way point and from being a lurker on many LR forums for a few years now I can honestly say that's one of the main indicators of a major problem waiting to happen...these engines do not like heat, period...if they do get hot you're in for a major expense either immediately or just a short time into the future.

If you're going to dive in and get one make sure you get one with plenty of service records...when I let mine go to its new owner (probably not in the forseeable future) they are going to get a stack of papers 2 inches thick with service records galore.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I hear you on the service records. Not so easy to find others as **** with records! I am the same about basic maint and keeping up on cars. I do everything myself that is not warranty work on my current rides, and use Mobil 1 in everything.
I need to figure out some of the "early warning signs" before I start test driving some I suppose. Any ideas on what exactly to look for under the hood or on the test drive?

Quick Reply: HSE vs SE... your thoughts on buying used.