Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Junkyard '04 Transfer Case into '03

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 12:51 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Junkyard '04 Transfer Case into '03

I bought a transfer case from an '04 Disco last week and since its a junkyard they just took bolt cutters to everything.

Do I need any extra pieces (like new linkage) for someone to install this into my '03 so I can get the locking transfer case to work? Or will this work using all the leads, linkage and everything I already have with the stock transfer case?

Thanks.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

You also need either a D1 linkage or the 04 linkage for the CDL to work. Hit up Abran or Paul Grant and they should at least be able to hook you up with the D1 piece.

The following users liked this post:
woodc85 (04-29-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 05:53 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

I have both the DI and the '04 linkage available at the moment. If you are interested let me know.
Cheers,
Paul

woodc85 (04-29-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 08:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

the "linkage" they are referring to includes a different shifter that operates up/down and left/right, as well as 2 seperate mechanisms activating hi/low, lock/unlock. The 2003 shifter will not work for diff-lock.

Last edited by chubbs878; 04-28-2016 at 08:37 PM.
woodc85 (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 04:59 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the info guys. Paul, I'll PM you.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:40 AM
Pro Wrench

Did you get it done?

Old 05-24-2016, 04:49 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

After doing the D1 linkage swap, I would say it *is* worth the money to just get an OEM '04 linkage or the Ashcroft linkage.

There are various reasons why and it would have saved me hours in install, plus the install would have been better (my gator boot from the D1 donor was torn, and I just found out a new gator would cost the difference between the D1 linkage and an ashcroft). Luckily, I'm out west so water intrusion isn't an issue, but still...the tear allows quite a bit of noise in.

Again, I'd recommend going with a cable shifter.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:38 PM
Drifting

I had a shop swap it in a couple weeks ago, and since they're not a LR specific shop they apparently had quite a time making it work. They were kind enough though to stick to their quote instead of the time it actually took them (though they now have a sign that customer brought in parts will be by time only).

Problem now though, I think the junkyard transfer case may be shot. It has a definite whine when under load (accelerator depressed) and it grinds when I let off the throttle and the engine is slowing the car down. It only doesn't make noise in a very small rpm range between load and no load.

I've been procrastinating, but I'm gonna check the fluid levels and see if they're ok.

If they are, is it possible the front output housing is still ok? I figure I can slap that back on the old transfer case and hook it back up and be good to go. Once I figure out how to do all that anyways.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:49 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by woodc85
I had a shop swap it in a couple weeks ago, and since they're not a LR specific shop they apparently had quite a time making it work. They were kind enough though to stick to their quote instead of the time it actually took them (though they now have a sign that customer brought in parts will be by time only).

Problem now though, I think the junkyard transfer case may be shot. It has a definite whine when under load (accelerator depressed) and it grinds when I let off the throttle and the engine is slowing the car down. It only doesn't make noise in a very small rpm range between load and no load.

I've been procrastinating, but I'm gonna check the fluid levels and see if they're ok.

If they are, is it possible the front output housing is still ok? I figure I can slap that back on the old transfer case and hook it back up and be good to go. Once I figure out how to do all that anyways.

damn dude that would scare me; the transfer-case swap is it just that. no mods necessary, very straightforward. they must have screwed something up. You should download the shop manual (RAVE) and do future repairs yourself, seriously. That way you know whats going on and get more familiar with the truck, as you may need to work on it roadside, trailside, etc.

If it were me in your situation, I would read or print the section of RAVE and look everything over to make sure nothing has been modified by the mechanics and everything is as it should be on the outside. Then buy a LT230 rebuild kit. Rebuild the junkyard front housing, attach that to your original 2003 case and put that back in. Rebuild the main case of the 2004 junkyard case as you have time.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:37 PM
Drifting

Oh yay. I was actually planning on swapping it myself but I had a camping trip coming up (that got snowed out) and figured a shop by my work that has great reviews would handle it much better. Live and learn I guess.

Is this the rebuild kit I'll need?
Defender 90 Transmission Rebuild Kit - For LT230 Gearbox
and is there a better price anywhere?

Quick Reply: Junkyard '04 Transfer Case into '03