Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need exhaust ideas

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 04:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Need exhaust ideas

2000 disco 2 4.0 with new magnaflow y pipe n cats. Wanting to know what some people are running for exhaust. I don't want to sound like a teenager going through puberty. I like rich tone but nothing I have to blare my radio to still be able to hear. I am not a fan of magnaflow cat back exhaust....go figure but love flow masters and the likes of. Looking a running a single in single out with either a turn down or straight out the back like stock with maybe a black or polished tip. Nothing extravagant

Old 01-14-2017, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

I like a Magnaflow 11226 muffler and removing the resonator. It sounds very nice, with a great exhaust note. It's a V8 when you step on it, but when you're cruising around thru town it's pretty darn quiet.

I have that setup on all of my D1/D2's.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:27 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Jason, Soon ill change my Y since the cats are shut. My idea is to keep the same setup but install a flexible duct/joint after the manifold. Why? I think its best to relieve the stress on the head which also may be the reason of head gasket failure. Vibration and weight of the entire exhaust will eventually stress out the components of the head, no matter how precise our torquing was. Then the rest of exhaust from the flxible joint will be bolted properly, or secured by some ingenues mounting brackets.
This is my Spring project and have layed out the mointing options. Just too cold to start a project at this time. Cheers!

Old 01-14-2017, 07:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

I've had something like 7 different setups on my Rover almost all including magnaflow cats which are somewhat different tone and louder than stock cats. They have included single perforated glasspacks, dual louvered glasspacks, single 9" louvered glasspack, regular old resonator delete, straight pipe, etc.

Let me tell you, first and foremost, do NOT go flowmaster. The drone is worse than with straight pipes. I had the flowmaster 40 specifically, but even coupled with a resonator it was still colossal.

The single perforated core glasspack wasn't bad, but wasn't great. Drone wasn't terrible though.

By far my favorite has been my Borla Pro XS. It began with magnaflow cats and the single in dual out muffler which I have a clip of somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. The drone wasn't bad at all and had a nice rich tone. It has since morphed to long tube headers, no cats, 2.5" y-pipe, into the Borla, then 3" single out the back with not one, not two, but three resonators. Going catless makes this truck LOUD. That said, even without any of the resonators there was absolutely zero drone after I went to long tube headers.

Anyway, my final recommendation is the Borla Pro XS. I definitely recommend it going on out the back. That will further decrease cabin noise as opposed to a dump. Should be a simple cut out and weld in procedure for both the muffler and the resonator and you'll only need a couple lengths of 2.5" pipe which the exhaust shop will have in stock if you take it to a shop.

Edit: Here is the old video I had. The sound isn't great as it was recorded on a knock off go-pro, but still gives you somewhat of an idea.

Last edited by Alex_M; 01-14-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:40 PM
Pro Wrench

Yea I think there is a flowmaster under it now or a flowmaster knock off (thunder cat) with no resonator. I'm fine without the resonator and don't want it to sound loud as hell but I do want a little something to let me know it's there. Which headers did you use. That might be a nice upgrade later down the line. I had my exhaust manifolds ceramic coated and just dropped the magnaflow y pipe cats off today to have the same some. I'll also do the same to the remainder of the exhaust system when I have it redone. I'll have to look into that set up though. I have used their products on bmw's before and liked them. I know I'm not using a cherry bomb or such. I'm looking for a single in and single out. Would you reccomend the resonator though or just leave it deleted as it is already? The reason I am ceramic coating it all is to help reduce the heat for the drive shafts mainly but to also offer a corrosion resistance to it so I won't have to worry about rusted out pipes and such. And thanks for the heads up
jason

Old 01-14-2017, 09:01 PM
Camel Trophy

I used these headers.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They say they're for a RHD Range Rover Classic, but they were a perfect fit. Install them from the top with secondary air removed. It will still fit back after no problem. I would definitely have them ceramic coated also because they are pretty thin and rust pretty quickly.

I will say, if I could change one thing, it would be to replace the header ball and cup adapter with 2.5" v-band clamps. If I could change one other thing, I'd use catalytic converters. Probably a spun style. You don't see any gains from losing the cats, but in the US it's a $10,000 federal fine if you're caught without which can be administered from both a visual check and a smell check.

As for the resonator, when I had my stock setup I ran without. That said, the single in dual out muffler is a little longer than the single in single out, so it may be a hair louder than the single/dual and therefore you may prefer a resonator though I doubt it would be terribly loud without. I would probably run without the resonator, but that's just my personal preference. If you have the ability, I would try it without first and if you think it's a little loud then add one before you have it coated since that minute detail really comes down to personal preference.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:12 PM
Pro Wrench

I have been checking the borla like you mentioned and been trying to find sound clips. They aren't priced bad at all. I figured I could get the muffler and then have a local shop weld up all new pipe from the y pipe connector back then have my bud do the ceramic coating. I'm getting closer to having it up and running but having to tread lightly BC it also is getting me close to divorced or having to stay in my shop!!!!

Old 01-16-2017, 10:02 PM
Camel Trophy

How bad is your current exhaust? Most exhaust shops do crush bent will create some drone and increase back pressure. Also, mandrel bent exhaust is pretty expensive. I ended up just buying the bends that I needed and putting it all together myself and it was still pretty expensive.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:33 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Running, Flowmaster Delta 50 series with duel-in replacing y-pipe. It sounds amazing inside and out plus I swear it's better on gas.....maybe.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:15 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by toofaroffroad
Running, Flowmaster Delta 50 series with duel-in replacing y-pipe. It sounds amazing inside and out plus I swear it's better on gas.....maybe.
I was looking at the super 50 since it shows a "moderate" tone. I want to be able to tell it's a v8 but not so bad inside the cab. I like it to be quite and insulated in there. I'm still set on a single in and single out. No need for duals and never put dual exhaust on a vehicle unless it was true duals. I want better flow and a nice rich tone but not to darn over bearing to think a teenager trying to get lucky drives it. I saw the 50 was a new style and made for an SUV or truck looking for better exhaust flow but not an over bearing tone. Do you have a sound clip of it at idle and possible cruising speed?

Quick Reply: Need exhaust ideas