Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CDL LT230 Transfer Case on a 2003

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default CDL LT230 Transfer Case on a 2003

Hello All,

I have a 2003 DII and I want to install a LT230 transfercase with the locking CDL I have sitting in my garage! My question is. How difficult would it be to remove the front part of the transfercase that has the locking feature and install it on my current TC? This would save me dropping the Y pipe and lifting 2 heavy transfer cases over my head. I have looked at the blown up diagram on from Toddco SuS and seen he sells this part. The spare TC is from a 2004 with only 35k on it. It seems to turn smooth. I have kept oil in it and have had all the inspection plates removed. But I know my TC is good in my 2003.
I have done all the 60k service myself and would say I am good at seeing how things come apart and go back together. I also have a D1 shifter linkage that I was going to adapt for the shifting mechanism.

What would you guys do?

Old 12-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's easy. Take the 30mm nut off the front output flange. Take the flange off. Just take out the bolts that hold the front housing on. Take out the 6 bolts on the top housing (10mm) remove your shift linkage of course. Take the top housing off. That will Allow you to remove the front housing and leave the gear set behind. Take the pass side middle trans oil pan bolt and washer tab off for clearance. Take the front housing off and the take the gear set and shift fork out. It's easy. Take the cdl one apart first before you try it under the truck. That way you'll save time with a better understanding of what you're doing. The shift fork you leave behind with the gear set is your hi-low. The cdl shift fork is right inside the front housing behind the front output flange just inside the housing. There is a detent ball that you will need to retrieve that detente into the rear of the hi-lo shift fork. Just look at the one you already have out closely. You'll see what I mean when you take the donor shift fork out.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks GARovee. I will take your instructions and put them in number sequence and see where I'm a on this. I will start with the spare TC case in the garage first to get an idea of the removal. I doubt most people are doing this in my order of operations. But could be possible if found in a junk yard. I will document and see if I can get Spike555 to put up a nice Sticky on this. Then I could have a spare TC case to sell and get my $300 plus back! Also there is not a good instruction Sticky on the D1 shifter linkage installed on a DII.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

If you haven't looked at it already, you might want to take a look at Josh's write up and the exploded diagrams he has on his site. It appears that he did the same upgrade your planning on his '03...

http://www.landroverclubvi.com/2003cdlinstall.html

A direct link to the .pdf he created: http://www.landroverclubvi.com/uploa...up_5-17-10.pdf