Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd question... Aftermarket steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 09:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts
Default Odd question... Aftermarket steering wheel?

Has anyone done anything like this, I haven't been able to find anything if they have? I don't really care about the buttons or the airbag as long as I can keep horn functionality, but I can always rig something up for that. I don't like how bulky the stock wheel is, it blocks my view of my Volt gauge and aftermarket temp gauge I have, and I just don't really like how it feels. Its not awful, it's just not good either.

I've never swapped a steering wheel and honestly have no idea what I need to match up to make it work. I have a parts truck I'll tear into and look at in a come of days, but until then I'd like to see what you all have locked away in your brains on the matter.

Thanks!

Old 10-22-2014, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

You might find something on one of the UK parts sites. I won't bother with the legality of it, but doesn't VA have safety inspections?

Old 10-22-2014, 11:52 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
You might find something on one of the UK parts sites. I won't bother with the legality of it, but doesn't VA have safety inspections?
I'll check them out. Thanks!

We do, but I've never had them check anything beyond head lights, tail lights, turn signals, windshield tint, and tires. Inspection isn't something I really worry about. There are several things they'd get me for before they got me for an aftermarket steering wheel w/o an air bag.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

not on my rover, but I have installed a couple of those removable steering wheels. easy enough (I just made sure to research on how not to pop the bag)
It was getting down to the nut via disconnects of wires and popping off covers. on one I had to use a puller (topless vehicle that was old) the newer a bit of wiggling and presto.
those came with horn buttons. just had to connect the wires

Old 10-23-2014, 05:52 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by dusty1
not on my rover, but I have installed a couple of those removable steering wheels. easy enough (I just made sure to research on how not to pop the bag)
It was getting down to the nut via disconnects of wires and popping off covers. on one I had to use a puller (topless vehicle that was old) the newer a bit of wiggling and presto.
those came with horn buttons. just had to connect the wires
Are they pretty much universal or do I need to match up one that has the same number of splines or something? I see some wheels online that look pretty nice, but I don't really know what I need to match up.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:27 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shaft splines & diameter need to match, and offset so that you can still reach and operate your column switches, ... and I'm not sure whether the LR wheel is flat on top with tapered splines like US & eastern cars or straight diameter splines with conical top and bottom in the wheels like Mercedes.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Like Babymog said about splines and shaft size. I took a quick look on paddock spares and they didn't list anything for the DII that I saw.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

the wheels I used were grant security. most were set up gm/ford splines, but they have mounting kits for any vehicle. so I am sure you can find an accommodating install kit, for yours. just pick your wheel and ask that company about mounting.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:52 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Like Babymog said about splines and shaft size. I took a quick look on paddock spares and they didn't list anything for the DII that I saw.
Yea, I didn't see any there either. Thanks for looking!

Old 10-24-2014, 06:52 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Babymog
Shaft splines & diameter need to match, and offset so that you can still reach and operate your column switches, ... and I'm not sure whether the LR wheel is flat on top with tapered splines like US & eastern cars or straight diameter splines with conical top and bottom in the wheels like Mercedes.
OK, that's what I figured. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Odd question... Aftermarket steering wheel?