Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating In spite of a new Cooling System

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 12:17 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Overheating In spite of a new Cooling System

Well, here we go again. another new 180 motorad (tested on the stove and it did open at 180), new hoses, new Radiator, new water pump, bled properly....So last night, with the Ultraguage reading 206 degrees while idling, and standing in front of the vehicle, I measured 129 degrees at the expansion tank, 102 at the bottom of the thermostat, 135 degrees and 168 degrees on the hoses coming out. The Rad: left side top, 113, left side bottom, 147, right side top 156, right side bottom, 132. The hose running across the top of the fan, 156. I did a combustion gas test which proved negative (mind you, it was hard to do with the sealed system, but I did get a few bubbles coming out which did not turn the blue liquid to yellow.) I do not smell any sweetness at start up, but then again, I do not smell very well anyway. Nevertheless, I do not lose coolant. I cleared out the garage and my AB head gasket kit is ready and waiting. I was researching the head gasket threads and I will be changing the timing chain, oil pump, machining the heads, but I did not plan to do the cam. But before I start tearing the girl down, does anyone have any thoughts on this overheating? Thank you.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Your radiator readings make no sense to me. These are cross flow radiators so the temperature should be higher on the drivers side than the passenger side, and not that different from top to bottom.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if you check the post from the last couple of weeks someone had a similar problem, and it was suggested that there should only be 10 difference top to bottom. should be hard to find the post must be more than 3 or 4 pages long

Old 08-14-2014, 01:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

His temps increase from one side to the other on the bottom and decrease on the top. That's what I don't get.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:40 PM
Mudding

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...p-67479/page5/

Thanks. I have been reviewing the above thread, and the only thing that I have not done is cheque for an air pocket under the temperature sender.....But I did elevate the vehicle on the passenger side and raise the expansion tank over night, filling up the system by the bleed screw. I bought the rad from Miami British last spring but after owing the vehicle for 2 years, I have never been able to get the temperatures down and suspect the PO may have mislead me and that is does have a HG problem. The coolant has been tested and suitable for the summer. I will have my wife (the scientist) do her own readings tonight on the rad and get back to you, but I cannot see how the hoses could be incorrect, as they were all new and being moulded, appear to only go in one spot.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Whats the hottest temp it gets to?

206 isnt going to hurt you. Before I had an ultraguage, 180 t-stat, and green anti-freeze, my electric fan would come on with the engine idle sitting in the driveway!! Thats bad. Does yours do that? I have "the now defunct" motorad 180 in mine too, I run 195 around for the most part. On a 100+ degree day, stopping at a store and shutting it off, with heat soak, it will read 206-208, but cools immediatly down to 203 when started up.

If your not losing water, your head gaskets are fine.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If 206 is your normal highish temp while a bit hot its not overheating IMO, the fan doesn't even start till about 212, I had about the same idle temps in fact a bit higher in summer traffic with the Motorad then I installled a genunie land rover grey one and it tops out around 196 in 85 degree wx

Old 08-14-2014, 03:15 PM
Mudding

Living in Alberta, I am always thankful for the quick temps, until the summer comes and I want to take off to the Rockies and up and down some mountain passes. We have been having very hot (for here) temperatures all summer of 86 degrees and she will idle and stay at 206 in the driveway and under any load will hit 210 and the fan takes it down to 205 or so. The highest? It has not hit 220 yet, but when it gets up high (while driving down the freeway) it goes to around 218, at which time I decelerate and to bring it back away from 220 and at 55 will be around 213 to 215. I want to start towing a little utility trailer behind it, but with its propensity to hit high temps so soon, I am thinking something is wrong.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Maybe we should both pony up for the genuine grey 180 t-stat! lol

Are your temp readings now the same #'s as they were pre-new-coolant-system-parts-upgrades?

Old 08-14-2014, 04:29 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I'm no expert but I've never heard of elevating the overflow tank overnight or filling through the bleed screw.

I looked back at that thread and that is not the procedure recommended. They say, when cold, after sitting all night... elevate the tank, open bleed screw, fill system through overflow tank until steady stream comes out bleed screw. Replace screw while coolant is still flowing. Replace tank, start engine... repeat as needed. Works for me every time.

While I agree you will do better with the genuine grey 180° stat, you might re-consider your bleed procedure.

Quick Reply: Overheating In spite of a new Cooling System