Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Project I've been kicking around for the Disco..

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

@antichrist - thank you for the help! I hear you on the racor filters, my diesels are filtered down to 2 microns. I've spent enough on injection systems to buy a couple more disco's....

Thinking something like this, inline with the supply feed of the fuel system: Racor Aquabloc Marine Gasoline Spin-On Type Filter Assemblies - 120RC02

Replacement filter are about $25, and easy to do. I have a similar, much larger setup on my F-350. I think it should catch most of the crud and varnish.

Is there any sense in filtering down to 2 microns, or is 10 sufficient?

@Charlie_V - yes, E85 has about 80% of the BTU's per gallon that gasoline has. However, I like that it's made, rather than extracted. I remember my grandfather, who came from a line of southern hillbillies from TN, KY and GA, talking about dumping a few gallons of "white lightning" in the car when he and his cousins would travel...

Also, E85 doesn't have quite the price volatility of gasoline. Yes, gas is stupid cheap right now, but that can change. Rapidly. Doing this now is my version of "buy low". You can get veggie oil setups now for about 60% of what they were selling for in the heyday of $5/gallon diesel...

Does anyone know offhand what the stock fuel pump puts out in terms of pressure? I might throw a fuel pressure gauge on there to keep an eye on how my filters are doing.

At the end of the day, if I have to upgrade fuel lines and pump, not that huge a deal.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:34 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

FWIW the D1 inline fuel filter is 4 micron.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLDisco
@antichrist - thank you for the help! I hear you on the racor filters, my diesels are filtered down to 2 microns. I've spent enough on injection systems to buy a couple more disco's....

Thinking something like this, inline with the supply feed of the fuel system: Racor Aquabloc Marine Gasoline Spin-On Type Filter Assemblies - 120RC02

Replacement filter are about $25, and easy to do. I have a similar, much larger setup on my F-350. I think it should catch most of the crud and varnish.

Is there any sense in filtering down to 2 microns, or is 10 sufficient?

@Charlie_V - yes, E85 has about 80% of the BTU's per gallon that gasoline has. However, I like that it's made, rather than extracted. I remember my grandfather, who came from a line of southern hillbillies from TN, KY and GA, talking about dumping a few gallons of "white lightning" in the car when he and his cousins would travel...

Also, E85 doesn't have quite the price volatility of gasoline. Yes, gas is stupid cheap right now, but that can change. Rapidly. Doing this now is my version of "buy low". You can get veggie oil setups now for about 60% of what they were selling for in the heyday of $5/gallon diesel...

Does anyone know offhand what the stock fuel pump puts out in terms of pressure? I might throw a fuel pressure gauge on there to keep an eye on how my filters are doing.

At the end of the day, if I have to upgrade fuel lines and pump, not that huge a deal.
Last time I got a straight tank of e85 it was just under two bucks a gallon. Regular gas was about 3.40. Substantial savings. Marine gas with no ethanol? Forget about it.

I'm all ears.

And at the time propane wasn't very cheap, either. According to what I read on the Internet, propane kits are popular in Europe. And my first vehicle was a Chevy pickup that had a propane tank so huge I only had to fill it three times a year... so I'm oddly fascinated with it. But you're right about the price of the e85. Cheap and subsidized.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 09-02-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:02 PM
Rock Crawling

Propane is a good fuel for sure, I converted an F-150 I had once with a kit off ebay. Did OK, chinese electronics kinda suck though, and I sold the truck. Big drop in mileage, and some power lost, but for scooting around town, it was great. Dedicated propane motors tend to be higher compression, and a 351 is not.

After a bunch more research, and my inline therm mod, I'm going to slowly start putting E85 into the tank until the computer screams or the engine runs like crap, and then make the call on the kit. I've found multiple people who just run E85 in regular cars and it's fine. Most problems are with the O2 sensors, rather than anything else.

Will record fuel mileage, etc. Of course I'm expecting a drop, just not sure how much yet.

Conversion will cost about $550 in parts and a saturday of wrench-time.

I like the idea of domestic fuel. Always have. I also understand that it's not for everyone, but that's the beauty of choice, right?

Given the chance, I'll keep my money stateside, and out of wal-mart.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Keep us informed!

I'd love to use e85 or propane. I considered tracking down a propane kit online, but got distracted.

A buddy adapted his Mitsubishi Evo to run on e85, and he said it made even more power after conversion. It certainly was brutally fast.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:39 AM
Rock Crawling

Yeah, E85 and boost and tuning is a mean combo. You can really push the stuff hard and it won't knock.

On these old pig v-8's, it'll run fine, but nothing about the motor's design will capture much benefit, other than somewhat cooler burn, less soot, and reduced emissions.

I'm guessing here, but I think even as cheap as it is $2-2.25/gallon here, versus $2.95 for premium, that the costs will be a wash with the mileage drop.

Propane is a different beast, the biggest issue is safe storage. With a pickup, you can use 2-3 forklift tanks in the bed and be pretty safe. With a SUV or car, you're going to drop $1500+ for a new DOT tank, and $500 used on ebay, with need for re-cert soon. Not really worth it unless you drive 50K miles/year. The tank problem is further exacerbated with CNG or LNG. Big money to store them.

This experiment is basically to test some of the hippie-dippie theory I see online about running e85 in a non-converted car, and just how far I can push it. Will wait till my trip meter gets to 100 miles then top it up with E85 and start the journey.

Im hoping I crack this code, and when we are back to $4+/gallon I am well prepared.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:31 AM
Rock Crawling

In the interest of science, and chasing this rabbit hole down to the end, here are a few things I've gathered.

1) the most reliable conversion, measured by length and breadth of warranty and happy customer reviews is this guy: change2e85.com. I sent him an email, and got a prompt, thorough and professional response.

2) In the event that the disco's stock fuel system $**ts the bed, here is what I will be replacing everything with:

- pump (stock is 33-37psi):
Amazon.com: AEM 50-1200 E85 In-Tank Fuel Pump: Automotive Amazon.com: AEM 50-1200 E85 In-Tank Fuel Pump: Automotive

- fuel filtration setup:
Amazon.com : Racor 320R-Rac Series Fuel Gas Filter (Outboard only) : Outboard Motors : Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com : Racor 320R-Rac Series Fuel Gas Filter (Outboard only) : Outboard Motors : Sports & Outdoors

Lines and hoses will be either SS braided or traditional fuel lines with brass barbs and clamps. Screw the charcoal canister.

So all in all, not a terrible economic cost if I have to go full aftermarket.

3) I emailed a good friend of mine who is in the phD program at minnesota for chemical engineering. Per this nice lady, to get E85 to absorb enough moisture to cause an issue, you'd have to leave the gas cap open in a high-humidity environment with drastic day/night temp swings, half full for about 3 weeks.

4) the biggest issue with E85 in some parts of the country is lack of turnover. I typicall source my fuel from QuikTrip, as they have been great the one time I had a diesel-related issue. Covered it no questions asked. The local E85 is a large Chevron, but I am unsure as to fuel turnover, and time left sitting in ground tank.

More later. Got some LED lights to wire in to the truck while the SWMBO is out of town all weekend.

PS - these lights KICK A**. :
Amazon.com: Auxbeam? 2Pcs 4" 18W CREE LED Light Bar Flood beam 60 degree waterproof for Off-road Truck Car ATV SUV Jeep Boat 4WD ATV Auxiliary Driving Lamp: Automotive Amazon.com: Auxbeam? 2Pcs 4" 18W CREE LED Light Bar Flood beam 60 degree waterproof for Off-road Truck Car ATV SUV Jeep Boat 4WD ATV Auxiliary Driving Lamp: Automotive

Old 09-05-2015, 09:34 PM
Rock Crawling

Well. Beautiful evening here in the desert, took the dogs out for a cruise in the Rover.

After 65 miles, stopped and put 4.74 gallons of E85 in the tank, which was filled previously with E10 premium from QuikTrip.

Drove home 10 miles or so, no SES at all. By my math, I had 10% ETOH before, now have 33.66% ETOH fuel.

internet legend says most engines built post 99 won't notice anything up to 50%.

Here's to seeing what's what. Does seem a shame to burn all that booze though...