Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 09:07 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II

Well I decided to get going with the project in which I purchased a Chevy 4.3L V8 which were only made for 2 or 3 years for the mid 90’s Caprice.

I only have 6 months a year since I live in Florida during the Winter. The displacement is close to the original Rover 4.0 and since my engine is junk. My Rover is a 1999 and was only on the road for 3 years before being stored inside. Has less than 100K and still has that new car smell.

I already worked out the electrical and computer controlled stuff like shifting, timing and other functions last fall.

I will use Chevy items such as A/C Compressor, Alternator, Starter, Fuel Injection, etc. I will use the Rovers ignition system and also fabricate its power steering and air pump to the left side of the engine.

Once mounted I want to use those Chrome plated Chevy exhaust manifolds.
Also plan to adapt the Rovers cooling system and will make this a dependable every day driver.

The first step was to remove the old engine and get some measurements. The Chevy engine which I purchased last Fall only has a few thousand miles on it so I cleaned it up real good.

No sense in overhauling a low mile engine so I simply changed a few items and painted it. Also didn’t want to work on the floor or have it swinging around on an engine crane so I made a contraption where I can easily work on the back end at bench height.

The Rover torque converter pilot shaft is a bit smaller than the back of chevy crank so I had a spacer made for installation alignment. Even though the crank, converter and spacer all move together, I don’t want the spacer sliding back on the shaft while running so I secured it with a couple of set screws with thread lock.

With holes drilled into the chevy flywheel and torque converter in place, I need some additional clearance to accommodate the Marks adapter plates I am ordering. To accomplish this you need a shorter torque converter.

Since going out and finding one looks to be a hassle, I’m having the bell housing milled a few thousandths on each end.

Will keep the info and photos coming as I progress. Any question I will be happy to answer but I may have a few myself.
The last photo shows the Chevy engine with the Rover Torque Converter installed

Attached Thumbnails Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-1a.jpg   Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-9g.jpg   Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-5.jpg   Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-8-01-14a.jpg   Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-8-01-14e.jpg  

Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-9e.jpg   Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-rear1.jpg   Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-8.jpg   Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-7.jpg  
Old 08-01-2014, 10:34 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please keep this info coming! Looks good, like a mini LT1...

Old 08-02-2014, 04:49 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts
Thumbs up

Great project captain1976. Keep it going and the info posted.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It's rebuild time on the forum and it makes for some great Threads. There are some very good and very different rebuilds going on. We shall see who's build takes first place in due time. Keep up the good work fellas.

-We've got a 4.0 to 4.6 conversion and rebuild from- RSPTex
-A diesel swap from - RoverMaster
-And now a Chevy implant from- Captain

Old 08-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Go ahead and share notes of your work progress !

My '97 4.3L GM wrapped in a '62 Cadillac, attached:

Attached Thumbnails Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-vortec-1962.jpg  
Old 08-02-2014, 09:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

"I already worked out the electrical and computer controlled stuff like shifting, timing and other functions last fall."

Could you share the details on that when you have time?

Old 08-02-2014, 10:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Looking forward to this!

One of y'all educate me on the 4.3L engine - I thought they were commonly used in Astro vans and Chevy/GMC trucks. Why is this version less common?

Old 08-02-2014, 11:10 AM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ricketytick
"i already worked out the electrical and computer controlled stuff like shifting, timing and other functions last fall."

could you share the details on that when you have time?

ditto!!

Old 08-02-2014, 12:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
Looking forward to this!
One of y'all educate me on the 4.3L engine - I thought they were commonly used in Astro vans and Chevy/GMC trucks. Why is this version less common?
Do not know enough as to educate, but appeared in the late eighties with throttle body injection or carburetor. It is a GM350 V8 sawed off to V6. In 1996, OBD2 controlled. Mine is from an Astro van, reincarnated.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:36 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just to clarify the 4.3l hes installing is a v8 and the more common 4.3l that came in blazers and s10s is a v6. its a smaller displacement and predecessor of the Chevy 350 and the still in production 4.3l v6 is the same bore and stroke as a 350 with two less cylinders. so really if he makes this work it will also be a tutorial of how to swap any small block chevy to a rover (which would be awesome since i have a 465hp one sitting on a stand ive been toying with the idea of swapping myself) but the external block of a 4.3v8-302(called 305)-327-350-400 will all fit provided you use a chevy bellhousing and not a bop one (buck olds pontiac) but then again youd just need a differnt adapter

Quick Reply: Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II