Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look for when buying a Land Rover Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The spark problem if noticed when warm can be the electronic ignition module.

As for budget, consider that a dealer gets perhaps $4000 for a head gasket job in some markets. And indy shop may do the same work for $1700 - $2500. And the parts kit is under $200. So there is motivation to pick up a wrench, and save money. Dealer level repair is costly, and dealers can be a considerable distance away.

The vehicles like oil weight that ends with 40 or 50, like 15W40 Shell Rotella. Diesel rated oils have more cleaning properties and extra ZDDP chemical that is good for these flat tappet engines that were designed by GM in the late 50's, used in the early 60's in cars like the Buick Skylark. Oil changes at 3-5000, not extended. Fluid changes underneath every two years or less, or when contaminated (wading). Most owners are not used to a vehicle that has grease fittings. Radator flush every two years or 30000.

Things will break. Some you can order on line, some will come from the boneyard or a dismantler.

If you have not had a head gasket replaced, plan on one before 200,000.

IMHO the best $10 you can spend is for a 180F thermostat. Never trust the heat gauge above 9:00.

The reason a used Disco appears to need work is that prior owners skipped a lot of stuff, or did it poorly with hands not familiar with a Rover. People also go play in the water and the mud and don't properly care for the vehicle afterwards. You get the same thing with any vehicle that has not had minimal service. This can come from leased vehicles, then owned by suburban professionals that have a mortgage that bumped up, a job that bumped down in re-organization, and a wife who is now home with kid(s) and that dual income stream isn't there anymore. BMWs, Volvos, Mercedes, they all have similar issues from lack of owner attention.

Once you get all the small stuff caught up these are about like any other vehicle.

I've owned my 97 since 2010, took several trips to boneyard for various pieces, and sorting out cooling system, then smooth sailing until last week when head gasket popped. I'm just as surprised and irritated as others when faced with $1700 repair on a $1700 vehicle, so I've decided to DIY.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:30 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spike555
This is a very common question and also a very good one.

The Discovery series one (DI) ran from 1989-1999, US models from 1994-1999.
Pre-1996 models have the 3.9L V8 with a distributor, all models after that have the 4.0L engine and electronic ignition.
There are thee trim levels and all had the 7 passenger option.
Common DI problems are as follows.
Sunroofs not working due to bad tracks.
Power windows not working due to a bad window regulator, easy fix.
Rear windows not working due to a cracked window lift ECU, easy fix.
Power door lock actuators not working, easy fix.
ABS light staying on, could be a bad wheel speed sensor or a bad ABS modulator. Could be expensive or free to fix.
Center Differential Lock (CDL) lever being seized due to lack of use.
Cargo door not opening from the out side, pop the LR emblem off and lube it with silicone spray.

The Discovery series II (DII) ran from 1999.5-2004.
The 2003 and 2004 model years have the 4.6L V8.
1999.5-early 2001 have the CDL as well as the 2004.
The DII also came in three trim levels and all had the 7 passenger option.
The 2003 has potential oil pump problems and the only fix is a new engine.
Common DII problems are as follows.
Power windows not working due to bad window regulators, easy fix.
Power door locks not working due to bad lock actuators, easy fix.
The cranks shaft sensor (CKS) going bad.
The throttle body heater plate leaking, easy fix.
Head gaskets going bad, change your coolant every 2 years and you can help avoid this.
The front driveshaft MUST be rebuilt using greasable u-joints, if you dont you WILL be buying a new transmission. ($7,000)
The "3 amigos", that is the Hill Decent Control (HDC), ABS and Traction Control (TC) lights all being on at the same time.
The Self Leveling Suspension (SLS) going flat.
The Secondary Air Injection (SAI) pump can be noisy, clean the air filter to it every 6 months.
The Active Cornering Enhancement (ACE) is very reliable and a good option.

All model years require premium gas, you can expect 12-14 MPG in the city and 16-18 MPG on the expressway.
Roverlandparts.com - We know Land Rover Parts is a good used parts supplier.
Land Rover Parts & Rover Accessories From Atlantic British | Discovery, Range Rover, LR3, LR2, Defender, Freelander and Land Rover Series Parts & Accessories is a great new parts supplier.
Go to AtlanticBritish and find the "tech tips" page and read up on them, print the pages that pertain to you, like "how to reset the HVAC from C* to F*"

Do your research.
New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews & Car Prices | Edmunds.com
NADA Home Page
Official Kelley Blue Book New Car and Used Car Prices and Values
Test drive many, dont buy the first one that you come across.
This is a really good post on the Discovery! Perfect for those looking to acquire one for themselves. Personally, I like the D1 mainly because you don't have half the electrical issues that can come up on the D2, but the D2 rides and handles better, and when all is working correctly has more creature comforts.

The following users liked this post:
ROVBI (03-18-2015)
Old 06-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

if you'd have caught me at the right moment in my engine swap, i'd have swapped my 04 for a D1 straight up

Old 12-10-2013, 10:49 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

Thanks for all the great information and caveats around buying a Discovery II. Picked up a nice well kept (mechanically at least) 02/00 build date. Have remedied many small things already (rear shocks, valve cover gaskets, plug wire set, new to me/wrecking yard nice condition back seat due to dog damage, spare tire carrier fix, etc etc), nothing major. Had electrical gremlins (lucas prince of darkness) issues during our 6day-never-above-five-degree sub zero cold snap. Will set about to clean fuse boxes, battery cable, grounding points, and the like. Runs great and puts a smile (sly grin) on my face with each side long glance.

Love the brake light pedal switch and shifter interlock ... NOT!

Disco owners prove that love is blind
Had a Discovery I in British racing green for a year or so back in the early 2000's. Here we go again.

All the best mates.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Let's not Forget Disco II
Rear Door will not Open, (Easy Fix) Lube the Mechinism
Wind Shield Wipers Switch goes in active (Easy Fix) Take it off and apart and Lube

Old 03-05-2014, 07:04 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spike555
These trucks are VERY expensive to maintain if you have the work done, if you do most of the work yourself you can Disco on a tight budget.
Being completely new I have been reading as much as possible on every repair subject and I'm " mechanically inclined " and enjoy working on my own vehicle where I can. That being said, I am looking at a 2000 Discovery 2 that's definitely been driven quite a bit and has these problems to begin with.

The power steering seemed to be missing during my test drive
Brakes (not a real problem)
The sls has been changed over
"three amigos" glowing
and a possible battery replacement

If those things don't mean $2000 in repairs I'm ready to get this disco and start my journey...

Old 03-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Seamus
Being completely new I have been reading as much as possible on every repair subject and I'm " mechanically inclined " and enjoy working on my own vehicle where I can. That being said, I am looking at a 2000 Discovery 2 that's definitely been driven quite a bit and has these problems to begin with.

The power steering seemed to be missing during my test drive
Brakes (not a real problem)
The sls has been changed over
"three amigos" glowing
and a possible battery replacement

If those things don't mean $2000 in repairs I'm ready to get this disco and start my journey...
No P/S - check the fluid level, then look to the P/S hoses - high pressure ones may be leaking...

I would check leaking seals (both axle differentials, rear axle hubs, transmission and transfer case; engine crankshaft seals(wet oil pan); steering box bottom). Making it short - truck should be dry underneath.

I would also do cooling pressure test - it can be as easy as cracked hose and as hard as head gaskets job.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:34 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by d7sec
No P/S - check the fluid level, then look to the P/S hoses - high pressure ones may be leaking...

I would check leaking seals (both axle differentials, rear axle hubs, transmission and transfer case; engine crankshaft seals(wet oil pan); steering box bottom). Making it short - truck should be dry underneath.

I would also do cooling pressure test - it can be as easy as cracked hose and as hard as head gaskets job.

Thank you I will be sure to check it out, to my knowledge the current owner still drives it daily so I'm just hoping it gets me thru a year if not a whole lot longer

Old 03-17-2015, 07:36 PM
2nd Gear
Cool Looking to purchase a 2001 Land Rover Discovery II

I used to own a LR3 2006, due to life changes I did sell it. I've never regret something so much in my life as having to let my lovable LR3 go!!
Getting that of my chest feels good. Now I am looking to purchase a Discovery II 2001, I am attaching the link to see if I can get any advice on what to look for or where to take it for a mechanical test on Thursday March 19, 2015 when I would test drive this beauty.
I did my homework and search the forum for advice, compare that to the carafe report and the car looks to me very solid. They are asking $6,990, although I've talk to them already to move the price to $5500, maybe below that if possible- including dealer fees.
I recently moved to Keene, NH and so I know the car would respond well for the area. I did some work myself in the LR3 until I found a reasonable priced mechanic that I trusted in the city I used to live before.
Any advice would be welcome!!!

Here is the link for the one I like to buy on Thursday- it'd be a cash purchase, though.

CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2001 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY II SE: SALTY12471A719102

Old 03-18-2015, 01:17 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

$5500 for an '01!? Really?! that seems WAAYYY high, especially for a 2 owner truck in NJ /PA/NY. maybe keep looking...

Quick Reply: What to look for when buying a Land Rover Discovery