Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Spy Shots of Freelander Testing

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 06:18 PM
IB Staff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spy Shots of Freelander Testing

Land Rover has just introduced an updated Freelander for the 2013 model year, which has received a new turbocharged four-cylinder engine, a much more luxurious interior and the latest version of the automaker’s brilliant Terrain Response off-roading system.

Despite all the updates, there’s no hiding the fact that the Freelander has been on the market since the 2007 model year. The good news is that a successor is in the works, and our spy photographers were able to grab these photos of the future Freelander for LandRoverForums.

The new Freelander, which is expected to be revealed in late 2014 will once again share its platform with the Range Rover Evoque. Dubbed LR-MS, the platform is loosely based on Ford’s old EUCD design but has been thoroughly updated for use in the Evoque and now this new Freelander.

Land Rover boasts that 90 per cent of the LR-MS’ components are new. Most of it is steel though aluminium is used in some areas to help shed weight.

It’s important to note that this is still a test mule for the new 2015 Land Rover Freelander, with the new car's mechanicals hidden beneath the modified body of a current Evoque. The 2015 Freelander will be bigger than the Evoque, as evidenced by the longer wheelbase and taller ride height of this test mule, but its proportions and styling should be similar.

The extra size will allow for a new seven-seat option. As previously reported, Land Rover is looking to expand its Freelander into a whole family of models, with five- and seven-seat models and possibly even a compact version planned.
Power will most likely come from the new turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder added to the 2013 Freelander, which in the 2015 model should still deliver around 240 horsepower.
Look for a reveal of the 2015 Land Rover Freelander in late 2014, with sales to follow shortly after. In other markets the vehicle will be known as the LR2.

Attached Thumbnails Spy Shots of Freelander Testing-land-rover-freelander-mule-001.jpg   Spy Shots of Freelander Testing-land-rover-freelander-mule-002.jpg   Spy Shots of Freelander Testing-land-rover-freelander-mule-003.jpg   Spy Shots of Freelander Testing-land-rover-freelander-mule-004.jpg   Spy Shots of Freelander Testing-land-rover-freelander-mule-005.jpg  

Old 03-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

if it's spy shots how do we know it's freelander mechanicals? they have been planning other versions of the evoque including a 7 seater or XL version and a mini 2 dr with a shorter wheelbase.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Well, I like that camo. So if I paint my old truck or car like that, will everyone think I'm ahead of the curve?

Old 03-14-2013, 08:19 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Well, I like that camo. So if I paint my old truck or car like that, will everyone think I'm ahead of the curve?
they might just think it's the Discovery 5

Old 03-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

uuggg. It looks like everybody else's car. The draw for me to the Land Rover has always been its unique shape and platform. Always liked them and wanted one. Have spent the last 8 months fixing a 2000 DII as I have had time. Don't think I would spend the time on something that looks and feels the same as everything else on the street I could go and get for less money. I know Ford is trying to expand its base with these new changes and it may even make the engine better but its loosing what made it so special to start with. At what point is it just a Ford with the LR stamped on it. Just my personal preference.