General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

95 lr disco stalls

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 08:54 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 lr disco stalls

95lr disco 3.9l 150,000mi stalls at stop lights and when i step on the gas pedal
things i have done due to outer reading
tune up (plugs wires cap and rotor oil change air filter)
new throttle position sensor
called the local lr stealership with my vin and had fuel tank and fuel pump changed it was a recall item (srs airbag sensor as well)
checked vacuum lines off the distributor good to go
changed and cleaned the idle air control valve (there was no difference with it hooked up or not)
cleaned the mass air flow sensor

i just got the thing back from the dealership and they did not seem to want to fix the problem. it starts right up first time idle over 1k, if i touch the gas the idle drops. when it gets up to temp and i stop at a light it stalls and does not like to start up again. i recently purchased the truck used and it is my first land rover. i am a diesel mec for the coast guard (10yrs) so i know a little bit about engines but currently lost.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Did you adjust the timing?
Whats your mpg like?

Old 11-06-2012, 05:17 PM
2nd Gear

No I did not check the timing. I will see if I can dig up a timing light. What should it read at idle? Degrees befor top dead center? Oh and I forgot to menchion the check eng light is not on. I feal it could be anything because the guy I got the truck from put the belt on wrong. Oh and the land rover shop was outside Detroit mi. I am in the soo, yah hell of a drive.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Team Owner

You're in the Soo? I'm on my way!!! How much snow you got?
Nearest stealer to you is here in Grand Rapids, you dont want to use them anyway.
Look under the passenger seat, there should be a black box with a LED display, find the box, turn the key to the "II" position but do not start it.
Write down the numbers it gives you, you can then reset the CEL with that box.
I do not know what the ignition timing is supposed to be set at, do a search for the RAVE manual, it is THEE shop manual for Land Rover.
This is going to be hard because you have a OBDI car and you cannot hook up a live data scanner to see whats actually going on.
I had a similar problem with my truck a few years ago, it was a bad coolant temp sensor, the ECU thought the engine was running at -40*F so it was dumping as much fuel as it possibly could into the engine causing rough/low idle, really bad MPG, lack of power and wanting to stall when coming off of the expressway.
Basically it was running at full choke all the time and flooding the engine.
I plugged in my OBDII scanner, watched the live data on my way to/from work and found the problem.
The coolant temp sensor is cheap and can be bought at AutoZone, it is right next to the t-stat on the intake manifold.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:56 AM
Overlanding

Spike. Did your temp gauge read normal with your bad sensor?

Old 11-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Team Owner

Yes, my temp gauge read normal with the bad coolant temp sensor.
And you bring up a good point that I had not thought of, '96 and newer use 2 coolant temp sensors, one for the ECU and one for the gauge, the pre-'96 uses one sensor for both.