General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trans won't shift out of park.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 06:39 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans won't shift out of park.

Hello all,

I am trying to get some help on getting 95' Disco out of park before I send it off to the dealer. I haven't had any problem with the transmission intill today. I can't shift out of park at all. I also check to see if there was a problem with the brake switch and it seems to be working fine. I work to believe that it is something simply but I am fresh out of ideas of where to look. I also checked the e clip under the shift cap and it is intact. Any help would be great.Thanks.

Old 07-13-2005, 10:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Trans won't shift out of park.

had the same problem with mine after and inspection. The problem for me is that there is clip on the shifter under the access cover. It is a "c" clip. It has a nut on it. Remove the nut. take out the broken part and replace it. I got the part at a local hardware store. What I did to remove the access the clip was take a screw driver and gently pry up the cover. Alot of people are not aware that the top of the shifter has a cover on it. If that is the problem, it is an easy fix. I did it in the parking lot of the inspection station. Just for info. The clip shifter release button to be in the proper position. Hope it helps. If not check the search folder in this forum, there maybe others that have had similar problems with different solutions. gotta love a rover. duboff

Old 07-16-2005, 08:58 PM
Winching

The shift interlock system is pretty complex on your vehicle. You have checked the basics. Check the fuses and the brake lights work ?

You could take out the center console and shifter graphics and manually push the solenoid rod in or disconnect the trans linkage from bellow.

Old 07-27-2005, 10:51 PM
Rock Crawling

another thought bait. could the cruise control module that responds to the pedal switch be something others might want to look at. never had to go anywhere other than the top. Your feed back got me thinking. could be dangerous. Thanks, take care. gotta love a rover. duboff