LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

LR2 Trailer wiring kit help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 11:45 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jwmilleril,

Does your LR2 have 18s? How many inches from the bottom of your hitch to the ground? Does the hitch scrape on deep angles? I am thinking of getting this same set up and would hate to have the hitch scrape while off-roading and on steep drive ways.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Old 01-29-2013, 01:40 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

buy the land rover one and not worry all the others cause major issues. plus you need the wiring from land rover to get it to work. Otherwise you cause major issues.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:28 PM
4wd High

Thanks for your input Rovin4life.

Did you encounter these problems? What sorts of issues do LR2 drivers encounter when using after market hitch receivers?

I do plan on purchasing the OEM wiring kit and taking it to the dealer for programming.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:27 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by bboyzjimmy1
jwmilleril,

Does your LR2 have 18s? How many inches from the bottom of your hitch to the ground? Does the hitch scrape on deep angles? I am thinking of getting this same set up and would hate to have the hitch scrape while off-roading and on steep drive ways.

Thanks,
Jimmy
I'm at 13 1/2" with 19s from the bottom of the receiver.
I'm not sure why rovin said that the hitch would cause problems it's even with the exhaust so if you're going that deep you're ripping off your exhaust tips anyway and the extra bar on the outside of the fascia should add some extra protection.

I could see wiring though I would never want to hack up the wiring with some of these cheap wiring kits which is why I went with the factory wiring.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:29 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, here’s my post from other threads about the hitch for the LR2. Got the best info from oliver1071, and the least helpful info from LR Techs trying to scare you into buying the OVERPRICED, LESS CAPABLE OEM Hitch that requires CUTTING of the bumper. I saved over $700 and have been towing now for almost two years and I’ve had no problems. I’ve also been off-road quite a bit and have not scraped the hitch once. I used the Hidden Hitch and OEM electrics. I installed everything myself and took it to the dealer for programming. It cost me ½ hour labor. All that the programming does is tell the rear backup sensor to shut off when something is plugged into the electrics. The ball mount needed for the receiver will be dictated by the trailer you are towing. My trailer has a 4” drop axel so a 2.5” inch drop was required.
I used the fit guide at Hidden Hitch to get the model number (87575). Then researched online to get the best price ($ 140 - 150), which at the time was etrailer. I liked the Hidden Hitch because it had the mounting tab for the tow kit plug. Also there is no cutting of the bumper to install it.

I did the same for the OEM tow electrics ($311). Found the part number and searched online. It's over $1200 for the OEM receiver and Electrics through LR...not counting the labor cost. Saved over $725 doing it myself. I install the electrics just before taking it in for maintenance and had LR activate the kit. They charge me for 1/2 hour labor to activate.

HERE IS MY POST FROM WHEN CONFRONTED ABOUT THE NON-OEM PARTS BEING USED:
I think that would be the case if you exceeded the towing capacities of the vehicle, but not because the hitch capacity used is better than the OEM. Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act: "Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty."

In my case, the motorcycle and trailer will not exceed the unbraked weight limitation (1700lbs) or even come close to the 3500lb capacity of the vehicle.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:29 AM
4wd High

Very nice. Thanks all!

Getting my LR2 2013 in March and getting the same set up you guys have.

Jimmy

Old 06-04-2013, 11:59 AM
4wd High

Got my 2013 LR2 a few months ago! So awesome!

Ordered the Hidden Hitch receiver (87575) and attempted to install it. First thing i noticed when i received the package, was that the box was pretty beat up and for a sec i thought, "could it have possibly gotten bent?" I ignored that and proceeded to install the hitch. The section that has 3 holes (right side of hitch if viewing truck from rear) would not align with the holes on the frame. If i forced the hole to line up, the hitch would push against the bumper. If i then tighten the bolts the hitch would push against the bumper in such a way that it would probably cause damage. My LR2 is brand spanking new and i do not want a single scratch on my bumper. So i was forced to return the item. I ordered a new hitch, waiting for it to arrive.

Did anyone experience any similarities while installing the hitch? Does the hitch rub or touch your bumper? Could the hitch actually bend?

Thx

Old 08-01-2013, 10:40 PM
8th Gear

Did you figure this out? When I spoke with the dealer they said the bumper did need cut. I would prefer to do this on my own because I don't need the wiring, and the dealer wants around 1K for the install.

Maybe another model hitch needs used? The 13 bumper is a little lower with the redesign. I do love my 13 though!

Originally Posted by bboyzjimmy1
Got my 2013 LR2 a few months ago! So awesome!

Ordered the Hidden Hitch receiver (87575) and attempted to install it. First thing i noticed when i received the package, was that the box was pretty beat up and for a sec i thought, "could it have possibly gotten bent?" I ignored that and proceeded to install the hitch. The section that has 3 holes (right side of hitch if viewing truck from rear) would not align with the holes on the frame. If i forced the hole to line up, the hitch would push against the bumper. If i then tighten the bolts the hitch would push against the bumper in such a way that it would probably cause damage. My LR2 is brand spanking new and i do not want a single scratch on my bumper. So i was forced to return the item. I ordered a new hitch, waiting for it to arrive.

Did anyone experience any similarities while installing the hitch? Does the hitch rub or touch your bumper? Could the hitch actually bend?

Thx

Old 08-02-2013, 09:15 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by lrtwo
Did you figure this out? When I spoke with the dealer they said the bumper did need cut. I would prefer to do this on my own because I don't need the wiring, and the dealer wants around 1K for the install.

Maybe another model hitch needs used? The 13 bumper is a little lower with the redesign. I do love my 13 though!

I didn't have any issues at all with the Hidden Hitch. It bolted right on and you don't have to cut the bumper. And I highly doubt that it would have been bent in shipping. It's a trailer hitch and it better not bend! I would send it back and get a new one.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:12 AM
8th Gear

Do you have a 2013?

Originally Posted by jwmilleril
I didn't have any issues at all with the Hidden Hitch. It bolted right on and you don't have to cut the bumper. And I highly doubt that it would have been bent in shipping. It's a trailer hitch and it better not bend! I would send it back and get a new one.

Quick Reply: LR2 Trailer wiring kit help!!!