Go Back   Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum > Vehicle Line Up > LR3
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2006, 06:42 PM

Default check engine light

I was driving down the road today and for no reason the check engine light came on. I called Land Rover and they told me it was probably the gas cap causing it. I haven't had the gas cap off in two days. I turned off the car and opened and closed the gas cap again but the light is still on. Has anyone ever had this happen? They told me it was fine to keep driving it even with the warning light on. Also, I can look and see that I have 92 miles worth of fuel left on the dash gauge. I will not even go three city blocks or so and the mileage indicator will drop drastically. Is it usually accurate?
Old 04-13-2006, 06:16 PM

Default RE: check engine light

I had this same thing happen to me on day 2 of ownership. I took it in and they "reset the computer" after finding a "minor engine fault". As I drove out of the dealership, the light went on again. I ended up leaving the vehicle over night and they detected something wrong with a part related to air flow in the catalytic converter. They ordered a new part and I picked the car up the following day. The light has yet to go on again, but I have only had the car back for 24 hours.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:52 PM

The light is on because the vehicle detected a problem, maybe the gas cap, maybe not. Make an appointment for them to check it out and repair it.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:53 PM

As for the fuel indicator, I originally had a similar concern. After a 15 moths of ownership and asking around, I have found that the reason for the difference in your "range" on your indicator, is the conditions under which you are driving at that moment, i.e., city vs highway. There can be a dramatic differnce in your range bewteen highway vs stop and go driving. Ultimately, I found that the gauge is very accurate. I hope this helps you.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:15 PM

My engine light also went at approximately 80 total miles.....3rd day of ownership. Went off at about 85 miles, but I have an appointment to get it checked out tomorrow. No point in taking chances.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:00 PM

My check engine light lit up yesterday (i only got 600 miles-3 weeks old car).
I stopped, check the gas caps, yet light still on.
Got home, check all the oil caps, oil dip, radiator caps and powersteering cap... all fine, light still on.
Seeing everything's fine, I close (or rather slam) the hood normally.
Next morning as i drive on the freeway, i noticed the hood on the driver's side is shaking.. I checked the hood.. It's not properly closed on the driver's side. Oddly, the center and passenger's side closed just fine. Push the hood to a tight close and... Check engine light: OFF!

I checked with my buddy afterwards who also have new LR3, he said it should light up "bonnet open" instead of the check engine light.

Weird.. [sm=dontgetit.gif]
Old 08-02-2006, 10:00 PM

Tags
2006, cap, chances, check, city, engine, gas, indicator, land, light, lr2, lr3, range, reset, rover