General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Another "Service Engine Soon" light trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 12:37 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another "Service Engine Soon" light trouble

SO my “service engine soon” light seems to work. But also seem to not go away for very long. It came on about a month ago, so I asked my local shop here in town if he could tell me what the light is referring to. For the 2000 Discovery II is running just fine. I don't notice anything different. He told me a lot of time it's the Gas cap. I told him that it came on a day after I got gas. So the guy told me to clean around the gas cap area, and after some mileage and key turns it should go away. And it did after a week. But then I washed my DII and as soon as I stared it up, the darn light stayed on.

So does anyone have any ideas as to how I can resolve this annoyance? I really don't want to go to the dealer, for the fact that the closest one to me is an hour away. But that light must go.

Thanks

Old 11-26-2005, 12:02 AM
Winching
Default RE: Another "Service Engine Soon" light trouble

TIB on this issue. Does the cap screw on easily, or does it bind ? The easy fix is to lightly sand the threads of the cap with emory paper until the cap seats on the filler neck.

Old 11-26-2005, 12:23 AM
4wd Low

It seems to seat like always. Screws down just like always. But with the problem being with that gas cap, and I'm sure it is just because the light cleared after wiping it down before, are you thinking like it is still not sealing?

I will do as you say. Should I also look into purchasing a new fuel cap? Not sure if there is a seal that is known to fail or anything within the cap it self?

Does that sensor look for a pressure seal of some sort or vacuum seal or is there a grounding mechanism.

I know my way around an old Mustang, be these onboard diagnostics on cars make me feel stupid.

TIA

Reemer

Old 11-26-2005, 12:53 AM
Winching

No, Don't purchase a new cap. It won't rectify the issue. Yes, it is a sealing issue. Two different systems for monitoring leaks. It gets complicated quickly. It may be a service action which would be repaired for free. If you want, PM me your VIN # and I'll check.

Old 11-26-2005, 01:01 PM
4wd Low

Wow, thanks buddy. It's SALTY1249YAxxxxxxx

Old 11-29-2005, 12:30 AM
Winching

No open actions on your vehicle. BTW, I x'd out your VIN # because it could provide too much info to the wrong people. You will need to get a diag and go from there.

Old 11-29-2005, 06:08 PM
4wd Low

If I'm able to get a fault code from a shop is there a list floating around that will point me in a direction if I post my fault code? They did not sound to hopeful that it would work or not. Other wise I'll just have to go to my Rover dealer, but there're 45 min one way. But the light is burning a hole in retina. But I'm sure Rover will fix it so that it just burns a hole in my wallet.

Thanks for your time on this, and I'll post what I find. TIA