Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

The future

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 04:45 AM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts
Default The future

Open your mind, watch this vid for 10 minutes and see just where it's all going .............. and it will be going this way

As a retired lazy b. it doesn't affect me too much now and fortunately I was in one of the less risky categories .................. I wouldn't want to be a truck or taxi driver 25 years hence.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmmm?? That's pretty interesting. Still if bots are made to do everything for us.... then they will be taught to take care of us also ( I imagine) and we won't perish. They will feed us and keep us in top health.

One problem I see is when different powers in the world use the bots to make war on the rest of the world in order to take over. This is already also in practice.... think of the flying drones that we (the U.S.) has been using for surveillance etc. There will never be unity or worldwide peace as long as man is in charge.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Too deep for my rose tinted glasses

Old 09-01-2014, 07:43 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by Senormac
Hmmmm?? That's pretty interesting. Still if bots are made to do everything for us.... then they will be taught to take care of us also ( I imagine) and we won't perish. They will feed us and keep us in top health.

One problem I see is when different powers in the world use the bots to make war on the rest of the world in order to take over. This is already also in practice.... think of the flying drones that we (the U.S.) has been using for surveillance etc. There will never be unity or worldwide peace as long as man is in charge.
That's very true Senormac, the failure of the human races is the human races and they will progessively destroy everything they ever built, vis the Romans. It's all too reminiscent of the internet, the best educational worldwide source of info and now it's abused by the paedas, perverts and scammers, very sad. Like everything, the bots can hopefully replace the human errors but sooner or later it will be for all the wrong reasons vis the east vs west space race and now drones. If one dwells too long on these ideas it does become depressing looking into the 'crystal ball'.

I can clearly remember 9/11 and exactly where we were and what we saw, it was in a French motorway services en route to our then holiday home. It was unbelievable, many were in tears. It's inconceivable what one group of fanatics will do to other innocent persons for no apparent or good reason.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:53 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
Too deep for my rose tinted glasses
No KD it's actuality, it's happening today. My father once said in the 1950's/60's that the job to be in was computers and he predicted that computers would rule the world at some stage and he was right even back then. He was also a professional engineer and a briliant one too coupled to his amazing aptitude for math and physics, in truth he was a brilliant mathmatician and scientist but earned his living as an engineer. Sad he's gone now as I miss his insight, knowledge and conversation also as a mentor, he died in 1988.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
If one dwells too long on these ideas it does become depressing looking into the 'crystal ball'.

I can clearly remember 9/11 and exactly where we were and what we saw, it was in a French motorway services en route to our then holiday home. It was unbelievable, many were in tears. It's inconceivable what one group of fanatics will do to other innocent persons for no apparent or good reason.
I hate to admit it but this is the very reason I didn't have children in life. And it is depressing. I'd like to think that the world will get better and people will be nicer to each other, accept one another and grow together, talk to one another and wish well for their fellow man. Unfortunately, as pessimistic as it sounds, I don't think it will happen. So I stay in denial, living a hermit filled life, being nice to those I meet along the way but wondering what will happen in the future. A little hypocritical, yes, but there are only so many times you can reach out and not have someone respond before you say, forget it, I tried...

I wear rose tinted glasses because I cannot deal with the state of the world and I don't want to think about it. And if I were to be honest with myself, I would say that is why I'm a collector of antiques and vintage objects. I am trying to capture a nostalgic feeling of warmth, love, a time when people stopped to talk to their neighbor and say 'hello - what is going on in your life?' And they actually cared. It wasn't about appearances and 'having to say hello' because it's the 'done thing to do'.

Just for the record I enjoy this forum and you guys are great. I know all is not horrible in the world.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:30 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
I hate to admit it but this is the very reason I didn't have children in life. And it is depressing. I'd like to think that the world will get better and people will be nicer to each other, accept one another and grow together, talk to one another and wish well for their fellow man. Unfortunately, as pessimistic as it sounds, I don't think it will happen. So I stay in denial, living a hermit filled life, being nice to those I meet along the way but wondering what will happen in the future. A little hypocritical, yes, but there are only so many times you can reach out and not have someone respond before you say, forget it, I tried...

I wear rose tinted glasses because I cannot deal with the state of the world and I don't want to think about it. And if I were to be honest with myself, I would say that is why I'm a collector of antiques and vintage objects. I am trying to capture a nostalgic feeling of warmth, love, a time when people stopped to talk to their neighbor and say 'hello - what is going on in your life?' And they actually cared. It wasn't about appearances and 'having to say hello' because it's the 'done thing to do'.

Just for the record I enjoy this forum and you guys are great. I know all is not horrible in the world.
I'm of a similar mindset KD. I have one estranged daughter, a lawyer, who's in her mid 40's and couldn't deal with my wife, her mother, dying from cancer in 1990. I also have a son who I never really knew by a previous relationship some years beforehand. In retrospect I would never have children as one can choose their friends but not their family. Unfortunately I see the worst side of people and their lives more often than not which depresses me sometimes and I often try hard not to be inwardly critical but sometimes it's very difficult not to. Coming from jewish origins it's hard to dismiss or forget and when I see what some do to others these days it makes my blood boil with anger. Sadly it jades ones outlook on the human race hence I tend to like solitude these days. I enjoy the anonymity of this forum in particular and the opportunities both in my passion for cars and mechanical problems but also the off topic discussions with some thinking people. Unfortunately I believe we made a wrong choice to live here in France as they are not a thinking race and are intrinsically selfish and self centred and more often than not racist even against other europeans. They are also very introspective and don't know, like or understand anything about life or people outside of France be it social, economic or intellectual. Many even believe they are the hub and dynamo driving europe and the EU and don't know or admit to the fact they've been in recession since May and teetering on the brink for many years. As I have mentioned before, a move to the US is still on our 'possibles' agenda. one might well ask why .......... well, I find the UK too claustrophobic and often very elitist and false particularly in the southern UK counties whereas the Americans tend to be more open and accepting without so many petty prejudicies.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't either of you two have any "faith" in the creator? Any trust that He is in control? I mean, your outlooks are so dark and sad and unhappy. Well, the last couple posts anyways

Next year will be my 25th anniversary. We have 4 kids all grown and with "opposite-sex".... partners (none married yet..... ) We want some grandkids. We love getting together. All of us. There is always alot of laughing, eating, drinking and dancing. It's a mini festival.

Yea, the world is pretty screwed up..... but you don't have to participate. You don't have to digest the news day after day after day. My dad is almost 80 and he and my mom both listen to news radio all day long and when we get together ..... all they can talk about are how scary, how bad, how criminal everything is.

You gotta control what goes into your eyes and ears. Remember GIGO ?

Old 09-02-2014, 09:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

...as stated by the man that said 'There will never be unity or worldwide peace as long as man is in charge.'

I used to think I wanted children when I was in college and the sky was the limit, the future looked bright and rosy and the options were endless. That was in the late 80's and things were good. One boy and one girl.. named Spencer and Christiana. Yes, I already had names picked out - lol.. although no love in my life and my mountain biking buddy told me that I sounded like a holy roller (as well as a narcissist as the names were close to my own). My parents never pressured us to have children or to get married - I think they were more interested in making us independent professionals and figured the rest would follow. I'll never forget the lecture I was given when I was 24 by my mother telling me that 'life is all about choices and it's those choices that lead us on our path in life'

Nope.. I never got the talk about the birds and the bees just 'choices are very important, yada yada yada'. I think that was the LONGEST car ride I've ever had to endure in my life. Not something I want to repeat. It's also interesting to see how my mom reacts to bumping into my old classmates and finding out that they have children that are graduating from high school or going off to college. It's like a chapter was missed somewhere along the way - as if she says to herself 'where did time go?..' Bittersweet? I don't know...

I do have faith in the great creator and found it to have strengthened even more after this past year (I realize we have different views on this Offroad . It's just hard for me to think about dying and leaving children here to deal with the mess our society is creating. I feel a little guilty at times that I didn't give my parent's grandchildren and neither did my sister. It really is an insecurity in me that I wouldn't want to bring another life into this world unless I could protect them and know that they would live a long, wonderful life. I'm not trying to be depressing, just stating that it's something within me that prevents me from completely trusting this world to be the host I would want for my offspring. Hence why I don't watch the news as much as I used to, why I tend to stay away from political discussions, why I cocoon as much as possible and try to create a haven at home.

I'm really sorry that you had to experience your wife passing Offroad. Thank you for sharing that. My husband also battled an aggressive form of cancer in 1989/1990 and was part of an experimental study in London. I feel very fortunate to have him in my life today.

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 09-02-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:47 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by Senormac
Don't either of you two have any "faith" in the creator? Any trust that He is in control? I mean, your outlooks are so dark and sad and unhappy. Well, the last couple posts anyways

Next year will be my 25th anniversary. We have 4 kids all grown and with "opposite-sex".... partners (none married yet..... ) We want some grandkids. We love getting together. All of us. There is always alot of laughing, eating, drinking and dancing. It's a mini festival.

Yea, the world is pretty screwed up..... but you don't have to participate. You don't have to digest the news day after day after day. My dad is almost 80 and he and my mom both listen to news radio all day long and when we get together ..... all they can talk about are how scary, how bad, how criminal everything is.

You gotta control what goes into your eyes and ears. Remember GIGO ?
Hi Senormac, I won't reiterate KD's observation of your preivious post. As far as faith goes I'm an atheist albeit I don't have anything against those that do believe in whatever faith provided they don't try to sell me any

My abiding take on faith being that until someone presents irrefutable hard evidence to the contrary I stick with my position as all faiths were invented by man and few benefit the rank and file apart from in their head. If that is what gives solace to those and it doesn't harm others so be it who am I to judge them. I'm not and never have been a member of the happy clapping society and stick strictly to the scietific facts presented plausibly. If anyone has a happy life and enjoys those pleasures I am happy for them and certainly would never decry their pleasures. I prefer to see the actualities of the world warts and all and draw my conclusions on that basis, again, albeit a somewhat jaded view more often than not. It's just me with the cynical view of most things in life. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Quick Reply: The future