General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Range Rover HSE radio with sat nav

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 02:44 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Range Rover HSE radio with sat nav

I have a 2006 Range Rover HSE with sat nav and the rear seat entertainment package. All of the functions on the screen just stopped a while ago. They were completely out and then just came back on about a week ago for a couple days then cut out again. I have pulled the dash off and removed the screen unit and modules behind to check the connections but I can not find anything wrong. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 08-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Was the screen still on when its 'functions' were out?

Check the LH rear cargo area for any signs of water.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:02 PM
6th Gear
Default signs of water...

The screen still shows that it is getting power, by that I mean the orange light is on the button, but you can't turn it off or see anything on the screen.

There are signs of some water, it doesn't look like much, but I'm sure it doesn't take much. I'm not sure which of the electrical boxes is the control for the screen. Can you shed any light on that? There is a stack that includes the Sat nav and dvd boxes and also appears to have several other boxes further down.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Pro Wrench

Is the orange light on the screen on steady, or blinking?

Try looking at the screen from different angles, and lighting, can you see anything on the screen, like text, not a picture?

Old 08-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Didn't they mount the FM Modulator under the passenger side glove box in some trucks. The top box should be the sat/nav. The second box DVD? Third box may be for the radio. I think I remember plugging in the fiber optic cable to watch DVD movies on the front screen while the truck was in motion. It's been awhile since I had the truck, so I forget what's back there.

If you see water/condensation that may very well be the culprit. Try to dry off the equipment and see what happens. Keep the power off in the meantime (while drying). .

Old 08-06-2013, 09:40 PM
6th Gear

The orange light is constant. I tried to look at the screen at different angles but I don't see any text.

I don't see any water in the back, just dried water stains.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:16 AM
Three Wheeling

Sounds like my old Nintendo. Blowing on the contacts would fix it most times
Seriously, it does sound like dirty connector contacts. Get your hands on a can of CRC electronic cleaner and spray/flush the connectors and contacts. This product has not harmed any paint or plastic in the decades I've used it, but still, try to be neat.

I like it when a fix comes out of a can.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Pro Wrench

Water stains are not a good sign.

However, it is strange for the screen to be blank, and the light to be on solid.

Start with the basics, check fuses 49 behind the glovebox, and 11 in the rear fuse box.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:16 PM
6th Gear

Thanks for all your help! However I checked both of those fuses and they appear to be fine. Not sure what to do next. If I hook it up to a diagnostic would it be likely to give me an error message?

Old 08-15-2013, 06:01 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Disconnect all the connections in the left rear entertainment pack. usually the telephone module dies first with water in it's connector but work your way down and you will probably find a few others. its very expensive. Seen a few repairs go for 10 grand for all the modules.

Quick Reply: 2006 Range Rover HSE radio with sat nav