General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compressor DIY???

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 01:36 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compressor DIY???

I have searched all over this forum and others failing to find a DIY for a 2006 RR HSE Supercharged EAS Compressor swap. The one I would be doing is on the RRs that have the compressor located in the rear under the spare tire. So... I was curious to know if anyone would be interested if I posted a DIY on 2006 RR HSE Electronic Air Suspension compressor. Please let me know if it would beneficial to anyone.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's what this is all about. All info is greatly appreciated. When others with the same issue do searches on line their browser will point them here. So post away.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:32 PM
6th Gear

Will do skyguy, Thanks for the vote of confidence. The compressor arrives today and I will start then.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:30 PM
4th Gear

Hey OP... A friend of mine is doing research for the same exact compressor and I told him I would help him out with this..

He has the HSE version and says his compressor is located in the rear. Our local LR stealer quoted him an outrageous price for a replacement. So I was curious the specs of the compressor to help him get out a little cheaper and I could do the work for him! I appreciate the write up at a perfect time! I'll be checking back to see the final result!

Old 12-31-2011, 06:22 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by SuthrnTaco07
Hey OP... A friend of mine is doing research for the same exact compressor and I told him I would help him out with this..

He has the HSE version and says his compressor is located in the rear. Our local LR stealer quoted him an outrageous price for a replacement. So I was curious the specs of the compressor to help him get out a little cheaper and I could do the work for him! I appreciate the write up at a perfect time! I'll be checking back to see the final result!

SuthrnTaco07,
Not a problem at all--Happy to do it. Have your friend lay the back seats down, remove the spare tire, and put it on a towel on back seats. This will help ease the burden of putting it outside the vehicle and then hoisting it back up into the vehicle. Just straddle the tire and lift straight up and onto the towel, real simple.

Name:  SpareTireRemovalontowel.jpg
Views: 1616
Size:  63.7 KB

Then remove the four bolts (8mm or 5/16ths socket) on the squarish tub (located UNDER the spare tire) in the rear to reveal the compressor.

Name:  CompressorTubBolts.jpg
Views: 3054
Size:  66.5 KB

Get up close to the front of the compressor for a part number that starts with RQG5XXXXX. It will be located on a black plate that will be below a "Land Rover" stamp.

Name:  CompressorExposed.jpg
Views: 4303
Size:  80.0 KB

The dealer quoted me $1500+labor and a pro-shop quoted me $1200 (incl. labor), I found a place that ships the compressors fast and are only $320 shipped and did it myself, the whole thing took 45 minutes to accomplish. Take that LR Stealer!

**DO NOT DISCONNECT any connection** until you have the part in hand and you are ready to remove and replace, then refer to the DIY I'm finishing up. Disconnecting wires (without disconnecting the negative battery terminal) will cause the SRS light to illuminate and require dealer or pro-shop reset. I hope this helps for now.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:36 PM
4th Gear

You are AMAZING OP!! When ever you get a chance post up or shoot me a pm with the place I can purchase the compressor from that way I can fix his saggy a$$! He's gonna freak when I tell him!

Old 01-01-2012, 03:53 PM
6th Gear

PM sent. Make sure you look at the part number that your friend has before ordering. If its not RQG500100 and its the RQG500040 compressor, then take pictures. You might be able to upgrade to the 500100 version and possibly avoid the less powerful compressor, the 500040. All for the same price.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:19 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Most of the time we need the air dryer and muffler kit with an ecu upgrade on Range rovers. Very very rarely do they need replacing. In fact we couldn't replace them with LR we had to go thru a very large process to replace them.

Sounds like someone doesn't like to read bulletins or do his job correctly. Must be a new guy.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:24 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
Most of the time we need the air dryer and muffler kit with an ecu upgrade on Range rovers. Very very rarely do they need replacing. In fact we couldn't replace them with LR we had to go thru a very large process to replace them.
^----- I really have no idea what you are talking about. If its a joke, then I guess I'm not privvy to it. I have not found much information on the 2006+ Range Rovers on ANY forum, I just figured I would help out people like me that dont want to get ripped off by a dealer or indy shop. Replacing my compressor cost me $320 and 45 min of my time. I gained knowledge and am looking to share with others.

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
Sounds like someone doesn't like to read bulletins or do his job correctly. Must be a new guy.
Yes, I am a new guy hence the small number of posts I currently hold on this forum. Also to what bulletins are you refering? Technical Bulletins or Bulletins on this board. And "do his job correclty"... what job are you talking about? I am having trouble relating your post to the Original Post, please help me out here. Thank you.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:00 PM
4th Gear

He might be talking about me.. Sorry If i stepped on any toes or did something wrong. I joined so I could search and post.

BTW, Op I just found out my buddy decided to try a super cheap method (Only $200) by some backwoods guy he knows. I have very little faith and told him to let me know when it breaks again and I would do it right. Live an learn I guess.

Quick Reply: Compressor DIY???