General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OVERALL RANGE ROVER RELIABILITY?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 11:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: OVERALL RANGE ROVER RELIABILITY?????

I agee Land Rover is not for every one, and if it's not you then MOVE ON.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:02 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently trying to unload my 2003 RR HSE 4.4...It has 70k and I have owned it 1 year...bought off ebay as one owner lease trade in. First thing to go wrong was leak in front airsprings which shut down the whole system requiring a rollback to get it to dealership 2554.74 later off I go...that was 2 months into ownership and keep in mind this is my 2nd one (2000 HSE prior-also replaced airsprings)....next, 8 months into ownership, I'm pulling into a parking lot and hear what sounds like an explosion in the front driveline and the vehicle ceases to go. My initial thought was transmission but I got "lucky" and it was just the front diff....rollback again to dealership...3385.66 later off I go...now for some strange reason, the dual zone climate control has freaked out and blows blistering hot air on the driver and ice cold air on the passenger...I was told this was due to a faulty "door" of some sort back in the dash and would be a 2000+ fix. Unreal...All that said, I can't wait to get my hands on a turbo diesel V8 version supposedly coming here as a 2011 model. 8.5 sec 0-60 and 472lb./ft torque and gets 25.5mpg average!...with NO CHIP..can you imagine the potential? However, I will wait and lease a certified pre-owned one still under warranty.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: luxury1

ORIGINAL: lrobin3w

...Rovers have always been a little quirky andmay require morevisitsto the dealer than say a lexus or toyota, but who wants a lexus? boring!!!
Um, more people thanany luxury brand in the US.

Lexus makes an unbelievable car. For the full size sedan, there was no question in my mind that the LS460 was better than my other choices (7/S/A8) but for the full size SUV, Range Rover is the best choice.

lrobin3w makes a great (unintentional) point. People will bash Lexus and others will bash Land Rover, Mercedes, Porsche, etc. but at the end of the day, it is your decision. While I love my Range Rover, it is not for every one. If some problems bother you then this is not the car for you. With that said, it is a good car with great capabilities, exclusivity and luxury. I love it!
I dont thik I am bashing Lexus, you said it yourself, evreyone drives a Lexus in the US! In my mind, If I desired to be like everyone else I would be boring. I love Land Rovers and dont care for Lexus vehicles, its just an opinion! (nothing unintentional)and you wonderwhy "the silence is defening?"

Old 10-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Rock Crawling

Sorry, I take a bit of offense when people call a brand I love boring but you are right, you are entitled to your opinion. I just had to stick up for my brand like I stick up for Land Rover on my Lexus forum. No offense to you.

Not enough people state their opinions is why the silence is deafening. On every topic you see so many hits per topic and nobody posts. Then you see Post 1 that always starts the same way; I have been reading this forumfor a while but this is my first post and then state their need.

I'm not too worried about it, I am giving this forum a test drive for a month and will see how it goes and will engage in another if it is too quiet.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:47 PM
4wd Low

I work as a driving instructor with the Land Rover Driving School. I will not try to negate or defend another persons experience, however, I will be glad to give you mine. We use everything in the current fleet, of course, including the Range Rover. I have had an opportunity to work with the 2006, 2007, and 2008 models. First....let me explainthe use of our vehicles. The majority of the miles are, of course, off road but we do use then quite a bit on road too. The vehicles are not trashed but they doget used in an offroad atmosphere daily. Have there ever been problems? Of course. I will say, however, that I have never seen a problemfrom any of the Land Rover models that left that vehicle stranded.Almost all of the problems have simply required a computer reprogram. Without sounding or seeming biased, I am continuously surprised how well the vehicles hold up with the terrain they are driven on in the school. There are alot ofSUV's out there and there are some very good ones, however, in my humble opinion there is not another SUV out there that has the level of combined on road refinement and offroad capability that the Land Rovers do.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Mudding

I think that Land Rover needs a overhaul on all of the new product. Ford was holding back on correcting issue because they knew LR would sale and no longer become their problems. Give LR some time with this new company and they will be reliable. I just hope they wouldn't take the off road out of its DNA and become the best on/ off road. Bringing the Defender back to the US is a start. I had an 04' Range Rover still under warrenty and take it off road every chance I got at my local off road parks! I have 3 front diffs, Two transfer case, one transmission and a engine. BMW didn't put as more much in to it as they should. But, I get another! 07' Range soon.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Rock Crawling

Interesting to hear all of the different comments. It seems like some have goodluck and some don't. Good input everyone!