General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This is yet another way for car manufactures to lower their CAFE fines, the less your fleet pollutes the lower your fines to the EPA.
15,000 mile oil changes, lower fine, 150,000 mile coolant, lower fine, "life of transmission" fluid, lower fine, gas guzzling fleet of SUV's, big fine.
GM went this non serviceable transmission fluid back in the early 2000's.
The less fluids that need to be changed the lower your overall fine.

Is it bad to brush your teeth more than twice a day? How about washing your hands? Or changing your underware?
Go ahead and change your trans fluid, it wont hurt anything.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:22 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Simple transmission flushes with a filter and pan drop cause the issues. But the BG works for the high mileage as well as new ones. But the kicker is if there is already a problem it may fix a problem. Plus I have seen a few bmw RR transmissions blow up cause the shop only changed the filter cause it was having issues.

of course if its whining and the torque converter went bad, nothing will help you. But that is because you chose not to change it. Plus we found if you don't change it and you live in hilly areas or tow with it, it will kill it faster.

But the BG flush works, I have saved more transmissions that way then any other method.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ZF 5 and 6-speed as well as the ZF 4HP20 automatic transmissions are filled maintenance-free with specially developed partially synthetic ATF oils. Maintenance-free fills are intended for normal operating conditions. Especially driving at very high operating temperatures can result in accelerated aging or increased wear of ATF oils. It is recommended, in the event of severe operating conditions, such as:
- frequent highway driving in top speed range,
- offensive, sporty driving style,
- frequent trailer operation,
being above average, oil purification (oil change) on automatic transmissions is recommended between 80,000 km and 120,000 km, or 8 years, depending on the load. In each case, only released ATF oil may be used for oil changes. And oil changes must be performed in accordance with the relevant
specifications.

Specifically, these transmissions are to be serviced according to ZF TE-ML 11. In TE-ML 11 are two categories of fluid, 11A and 11B. The 11B is a more robust, longer life fluid with similar properties to 11A. Also listed under 11B is Esso LT71141, the fluid that has been recommended for the 5HP 30 transmission

thats straight from ZF

Old 11-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

SO in other words, unless you drive like grandma change your trans fluid every 50,000-75,000 miles, so yeah, sounds like "for the life of the transmission never needs to be changed ever" type of transmission fluid to me.
Again I will say, it never hurts to change a fluid or filter on a car, any car.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:49 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just checked my Jag manual. I was wrong, they are technically serviced for "life". Wouldn't you know it, the previous owner of mine replaced the transmission at 75k miles... Meaning, I have a young transmission thanks to political BS! Everyone on my Jag forum recommends replacing the fluid every 30k miles. Many have blown their transmissions over the years, but it seems that those who are diligent with flushing their transmissions don't have near as many problems. The Jaguar XJ8 5 speed transmission is very similar to the L322 RR transmission and requires the same mineral based detergent/fluid.

being above average, oil purification (oil change) on automatic transmissions is recommended between 80,000 km and 120,000 km, or 8 years, depending on the load.
They said that about Dexcool in Bosch rovers. Look what happened to them.

Last edited by LRScott; 11-06-2011 at 03:01 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Drifting

The main reason I want to change it is because I tow a boat a lot in the summer and I figure it is better to swap it out than to hope the fluid lasts for a lifetime. 75k miles seems like a good time to do it.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Drifting

I flush my tranny every two seasons ussually right before the winter. I only changed the filter once though...make sure you have a pump.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:39 PM
5th Gear
Default 2006 transmission

Well this is my first time on the thread. My wife has a 2006 supercharged range. Regularly maintained at the dealer. Babyed as can be. But the transmission is shifting hard. Two weeks ago all the dash warning lights came on. It started but had no power. Towed it to the dealer who said ecu was out and needed new transmission for $5,000. Later it was a few wires loose in the ecu. Picked it up and it shifted smoothly no lights perfect. two days ago the transmission started shifting hard. Anyone with any ideas?

Old 11-15-2011, 09:22 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Seen issues with the supercharged trans oil cooler leak into the transmission.

but unless some one at the dealer only programmed one ecu then if the engine and the transmission ecu are not programmed together then you will get weird shifting patterns.

Tell me does it feel like someone just kicked you in the rear as you come to a slow stop. if so that is the pgming not matching up. take it back if that is the problem.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:36 AM
5th Gear

feels like kicked in the rear when coming to a stop. Then shifts wierd starting out. Dealer said new transmission. My 2004 Range has 131,000 miles and never has had tranny problems.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid