General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What products help preserve your Range Rover?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What products help preserve your Range Rover?

Items like the dashboard,leather seats,head liner cleaner,outer trim like the door handle which fade in the sun, and the black vinyl in the back quarter panels.

I know there are many products out there but only some really work. I wanted to hear from you all and the products you found are worth buying.

After playing in the mud I would like to cleaner her up, but want to due it right the first time around so I can keep her looking like new for as long as I can polish!

Thanks for reading!
RROJ

Old 05-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leather: Lexol cleaner soap, sponge, bucket of water. Follow up with Zymol leather conditioner.

Dash/plastic bits: McGuire's low sheen stuff. Non greasy, minimizes reflection in the windshield.

Wood: Eagle One Nano spray wax

Outside black trim: clean first with bug and tar and a small detail scrub brush and buff off. Then treat all black with Mothers Back to Black - several coats usually and then buff after applying with microfiber.

Wheels: wax with McGuire's Cleaner wax

Tires: McGuires spray

Engine bay: Simple Green Degreaser

Old 05-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Rock Crawling

Chris X, you are the best! Thank you for saving me years of trial and error. One question the handles to my RR look like they are made of different plastic. The handle is darker than the place where your thumb touches (its so faded). I had treated it with some Turtle Wax vinyl treatment but it washed off and streaked down my black paint. Ugg. Do you think Mothers will treat that piece of plastic or did Mother Nature win again and fade it to no revival?

Old 05-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The faded door handles are common on older rovers, especially if they sat out in the sun a lot. Armour All masks it and re-hydrates the plastic, but the only permanent solution is to repaint it with a black plastic paint. I just use Armour All on mine and am too lazy to repaint them .

Old 05-28-2010, 10:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

If your black plastic trim pieces have faded to a dull greyish color, the best product I have found (changed my wheel arch moldings from grey to black 2 years ago and they still look great) is:

Forever Black http://www.foreverblack.com/

It is partially a dye, so be careful. I got some on my paint, but it came off with a little elbow grease.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:48 AM
Rock Crawling

I like leatherique for the seats. It is expensive but it works very well.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:09 PM
Rock Crawling

Thank you Wilson96rr. I will add it to my RR preserving products collection.
RROJ

Old 06-02-2010, 06:45 AM
Mudding

Forever Black cited by lordmorpheus is a grade higher than the Mothers stuff, so it will last longer but you do have to be a little more careful when applying. If your door handles are really really faded and you don't want to repaint them, I would opt for the Forever Black as a more intensive solution. The Mothers works but would require more frequent applications and wouldn't be quite as dark. Mine are not all that bad so the Mothers works for me.

Best of luck!

Old 06-03-2010, 02:15 AM
Rock Crawling

Chris X, thank you for clarifying. I will handle the problem very carefully. I don't mind reapplying, but just did not want to each time it rained. Each one of the handles are not faded just the part that ones thumb would hit. Strange. It looks odd so I just wanted to see what others do to solve a similar problem.
Thanks again!
RROJ