General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hi !! Newbie burning coolant!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 04:20 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi !! Newbie burning coolant!

hi! Everybody ! Im new to the forum...just purchased a 2000 Land Rover Discovery with 150K on it! IT's great except that right now it's currently burning coolant. And when you drive it, or stand outside it when it's running you can smell it. Can anybody give me a best AND worst case scenario at what I might be looking at?

Old 09-26-2006, 05:51 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Hi !! Newbie burning coolant!

There is no best case on what you are describing. At 150K you are looking at head gaskets, recondition the heads and again at that mileage, an inspection of the upper end, cam, lifters and rockers for wear.
Sorry, but that is the long and short of it. Don't continue to drive the truck or you could have additional problems.
Mike

Old 09-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might I add to Disco Mike's right-on-target comments that when you are ready to buy the parts necessary to correct the problem, you check out my site tailored for the
do-it-yourself owner/enthusiast. read the tech info section on powertrain to give you a primer on what that coolant smell typically indicates.

www.eurotekapg.com

Regards,
Geoman

Old 09-26-2006, 06:42 PM
3rd Gear

lol, just my luck to have to delve into that so early!! So, me not being terribly mechanically inclined, what am I looking at price wise possibly...worst case scenario...I picked the truck up for just under 4K....trying to figure what more total it's gonna cost to be problem free and reliable again!

Old 09-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Rock Crawling

A Head Gasket Job runs between $1400-1600 at a shop. However--- don't entrust the job to any general automotive repair place. Pick one that specializes in Land Rovers, and not necessarily one that does "All British Makes". The other areas Disco Mike mentioned, like the Cam, lifters, and rockers-- adds about another $1200 in parts, and the additional labor to pull the radiator, front timing cover, etc. to change out the camshaft.

So worst case scenario (and assuming no history of a major overheat seen by the engine) means about $3000-3500.

Geoman

Old 09-26-2006, 07:39 PM
3rd Gear

well, to tell you the truth that doesnt sound terribly bad to me, if that's what It would take to ge me ship shape, that's pretty much what I had budgeted for this truck. Thanks guys! Can I save any money by purchasing parts on my own? I have a pretty good mechanic that works for Land Rover over in Dallas, that I can tap for the labor....if I can save a couple bucks on parts I'd do it in a heartbeat!

Old 09-26-2006, 08:01 PM
Rock Crawling

Of course you can save money by buying the parts yourself !! -- as the shops all put a mark-up on the parts they bring in from their supplier. If this buddy you speak of will do the work as a side job you can save a bundle. I have VERY good prices on the head gasket kits, and very competitive prices on the camshaft kit, rocker arms, gaskets, etc. that you need for this undertaking. Visit my site (if you have not already....please say you have! <grin&gt at www.eurotekapg.com

Hope to hear from you!

Regards,

Geoman

eurotek apg
925-335-2669

Old 09-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Three Wheeling

I live in Dallas and can help you with your problem, I wont charge you for anything and can help you diagnose your coolant problem and even replacing your headgaskets if that is all that is necessary. The problem with this scenario is if you have warped heads or a block you would be stuck with a Disco in the garage till you either got a new block or resurface the heads (if they are not too warped). Contact me via email dennis_monares@comcast.net