2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$1200 for first service 2021 Defender!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 08:23 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
So, a $600 oil change...​​​

Wait til they need brakes.
i was quoted rear brakes a few weeks ago for...drum roll.... 2100
Edit : 1892.16
not sure if that's pre or post tax.
my bimmers rotors/pads/fluid/ wear sensors for four corners was less than 1500.

land rover wants 412.97 for a fluid flush. My advisor told me that if anything happens to the car after changing oil and service myself, ill be liable for repairs. Weird car culture ova at these dealers. Jlr brooklyn just so you know

Last edited by Ericlockheed; 04-27-2023 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-27-2023, 09:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,405 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
Yeah. I've no clue really. I hear very strong opinions on both sides of the discussion. Just throwing it out there as a data point. Possibly an irrelevant and useless one.
Great data. Such an odd quirk of human nature that it's so hard to accept an extended interval here when everything else in the world has advanced so dramatically in the last couple of decades. It's like opening the hood is a time machine into 1996. Is it a reaction to how complicated engine tech has become? People want to hold on to some understanding? Not trying to insult anyone. Just trying to figure out why people are so human.

Originally Posted by Ericlockheed
i was quoted rear brakes a few weeks ago for...drum roll.... 2100
And the fronts are more.

The following users liked this post:
SoCalDef (04-28-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 05:45 AM
Received 176 Likes on 115 Posts

My advisor told me that if anything happens to the car after changing oil and service myself, ill be liable for repairs. Weird car culture ova at these dealers. Jlr brooklyn just so you know
lol. You should ask them whose policy that is, JLR's or the dealer's. If they say it's JLR ask them where that's printed.

MattF (04-28-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 07:58 AM
Mudding
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

My oil change in Austin is right under $400. Since the life is 21k, that’s double my Tahoe which costs $200 for a life of 10k. So it’s basically the same cost per interval. Though I’m stubborn and will change the Defender at 10k though as I don’t believe 21k…

not sure what the other $800 could be for…maybe OP can break it down for us?

as far as DIY that’s always a point of contention with any manufacturer. I had the same concerns expressed to me with Toyota on Landcruisers I’ve owned and also by BMW for my 3 series. I wouldn’t blame JLR on that position.

Old 04-28-2023, 08:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,405 Likes on 708 Posts

My advisor told me that if anything happens to the car after changing oil and service myself, ill be liable for repairs. Weird car culture ova at these dealers. Jlr brooklyn just so you know
@EasternShoreDefender is absolutely correct. The next time Joey tells you some **** like that, ask him to put it in writing. His statement is actually illegal.

Magnuson Moss is no joke. I dealt with this in a former business and the record keeping alone was about 20" of paperwork in binders that had to be ready, without delay, just in case literally anyone asked to see it. If we didn't have it, the fines were potentially 6-figure.

They may have a few techs that don't take it seriously but the F&I guy would clear it up pretty quickly since he's probably holding a license to sell extended warranties. I had a Florida license and, with that, you're responsible for the conduct of the clowns that work under you.

https://automotiveaftermarket.org/ma...-warranty-act/

MattF (04-28-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 10:02 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by msgm1
WTF...dealer just quoted me $1200 for the first service on my 2021 Defender X, 12000 miles, service light just came on today. Is that the going rate, I'm stunned? Oil/Filters, brake fluid
What part of the country was this, curious if most LR US dealers are like this ?

Old 04-28-2023, 10:03 AM
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechano2020
First, welcome to the club.
What did you expect ? It is a JLR product, they will charge you whatever they want. And you know what ? You have no say in that.
Why ? you can do it all yourself, but, if you have say an engine issue.... this is going to be an "aha !!!" moment for them to deny you the warranty one way or another.
Quick example, I had this happening to me on a different brand ( I am not going to mention Mercedes here ) where my engine totally died on me while under warranty. Long story short, they have looked at every single item in the service history trying to find a way to deny it. I had even the wipers changed there, at the dealership. 3 weeks later they couldn't find a reason, and had to drop a new engine in it. One of the advisers there told me, afterwards, that they were trying every single trick in the book to get an "aha ! denied !" for my SUV.
So, yes, it is expensive to get any service, but I consider it some sort of insurance if anything happens under warranty.
I change my oils at 5 k intervals, filters, and everything I can get my hands on, before their stupid intervals. Oil is cheap, engine expensive.
Mercedes tech here. That service advisor is an idiot. Most of us want to get huge expensive jobs like that covered. We have empathy, and most customers are more likely to tow their car out rather than fix when it comes to stuff like that. If warranty covers the engine, we get the work and we get paid. Mercedes has very few complete engine failures requiring a whole new engine, but when they do the number one cause is far and away lack of maintenance. Every tech knows this. Mercedes themselves know it. The old engine (and most warranty replaced parts for any complaint) gets sent back to Mercedes so they can analyze the failure. They do this to detect failure patterns and make design adjustments if needed. But they might discover the original cause was lack of maintenance or improperly performed repairs. Those aren't manufacturer defects and are not warrantable. So if we do the repair under warranty, and they find we shouldn't have, they will debit us for the entire cost of the claim (usually many tens of thousands of dollars). That isn't just Mercedes, pretty much every manufacturer does this.

The following 5 users liked this post by this_account_is_mt:
GavinC (04-28-2023), GrouseK9 (05-01-2023), jusmax88 (03-28-2024), MattF (04-28-2023), NativeTexan (05-03-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 10:22 AM
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
@EasternShoreDefender is absolutely correct. The next time Joey tells you some **** like that, ask him to put it in writing. His statement is actually illegal.

Magnuson Moss is no joke. I dealt with this in a former business and the record keeping alone was about 20" of paperwork in binders that had to be ready, without delay, just in case literally anyone asked to see it. If we didn't have it, the fines were potentially 6-figure.

They may have a few techs that don't take it seriously but the F&I guy would clear it up pretty quickly since he's probably holding a license to sell extended warranties. I had a Florida license and, with that, you're responsible for the conduct of the clowns that work under you.

https://automotiveaftermarket.org/ma...-warranty-act/
The problem is when someone or another shop does their services incorrectly. Incorrect oil quantity, stripped drain plug, incorrect oil filter (as in design/type, not brand, yeah I've 100% seen it and it's impressive), air introduced into the brake hydraulic system during a flush, pinched and damaged wire during air filter replacement, etc. Those things are not warrantable. Classic land rover example here, changing oil on a freelander (gas) but pulling a plug from the transmission instead of engine. There's a plug on them that looks like a drain plug, but holds one of the friction bands in place. Pull that plug and you need a new transmission, or a rebuild. I personally witnessed an independent shop do that one many years ago. Magnusson Moss only protects manufacturer defects.

By all means, do your own work, go to whatever shops you want, just make sure to keep records/receipts with date and mileage of service, and be aware that if mistakes are made fixing those mistakes won't be warrantable. That being said, they can't void your entire warranty even if you make mistakes, just deny specific repairs related to said mistakes.

GrouseK9 (05-01-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 10:58 AM
Mudding
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Makes total sense. The Manufacturer should only be on the hook for their own design defects/failure. If you abide by their protocol (maintence interval and spec of product to be used (fluid, etc.), there should be no issue with who does the process. Maybe it just raises eyebrows when an issue does occur since they the dealer may not have as ready access to what history of maintence was performed prior.

Old 04-28-2023, 12:21 PM
Winching
Received 570 Likes on 302 Posts

I honestly worry about the ineptitude of the techs at my JLR service dept. More so than a good LR indie.... the indie owns his / her business - the dealerships have tremendous turnover, short on skilled helpt etc.

Originally Posted by this_account_is_mt
The problem is when someone or another shop does their services incorrectly. Incorrect oil quantity, stripped drain plug, incorrect oil filter (as in design/type, not brand, yeah I've 100% seen it and it's impressive), air introduced into the brake hydraulic system during a flush, pinched and damaged wire during air filter replacement, etc. Those things are not warrantable. Classic land rover example here, changing oil on a freelander (gas) but pulling a plug from the transmission instead of engine. There's a plug on them that looks like a drain plug, but holds one of the friction bands in place. Pull that plug and you need a new transmission, or a rebuild. I personally witnessed an independent shop do that one many years ago. Magnusson Moss only protects manufacturer defects.

By all means, do your own work, go to whatever shops you want, just make sure to keep records/receipts with date and mileage of service, and be aware that if mistakes are made fixing those mistakes won't be warrantable. That being said, they can't void your entire warranty even if you make mistakes, just deny specific repairs related to said mistakes.

The following 3 users liked this post by MattF:
EasternShoreDefender (04-29-2023), ficklma1 (04-28-2023), WTFChuck (04-28-2023)

Quick Reply: $1200 for first service 2021 Defender!!!